Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 10:32 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMMY JAMES
That's gorgeous. Nor normally a big fan of red cars. But whatever color that is, superior red, brown red, whatever, I really like it.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:42 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

me likely
Old 01-16-2019, 12:10 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow Submarine
That would surprise me a lot. Cayman doesn't need it. 911 needs it to feel as agile as a Cayman...
Can you explain this logic? The two cars are about the same size and weight and the 911 has a shorter wheelbase and more sophisticated suspension. What makes the Cayman more agile? Just the weight distribution?
Old 01-16-2019, 12:20 PM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,504 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Can you explain this logic? The two cars are about the same size and weight and the 911 has a shorter wheelbase and more sophisticated suspension. What makes the Cayman more agile? Just the weight distribution?
It does make a big difference, mass doesn't like to accelerate and the further away from the center of rotation the more it takes. When I drove 718s and 991.2s last year on a frozen lake with studded tires I was amazed to find the mid engined cars much, much quicker than the big boy 911s. They change of direction from one slide into the next goes like it's nothing in a Cayman while a rear wheel drive 911 keeps you waiting quite a bit for the back to come around again and then you can't overdo it as the pendulum effect takes hold.

I didn't expect the difference to be that big at all, but it was.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:26 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by JCviggen
It does make a big difference, mass doesn't like to accelerate and the further away from the center of rotation the more it takes. When I drove 718s and 991.2s last year on a frozen lake with studded tires I was amazed to find the mid engined cars much, much quicker than the big boy 911s. They change of direction from one slide into the next goes like it's nothing in a Cayman while a rear wheel drive 911 keeps you waiting quite a bit for the back to come around again and then you can't overdo it as the pendulum effect takes hold.

I didn't expect the difference to be that big at all, but it was.
But this is a feature, isn't it? Get the back in line and the blast forward with all that traction?

Old 01-16-2019, 12:27 PM
4ringking
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Sweet!

Looks great!!!
Old 01-16-2019, 12:34 PM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,504 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
But this is a feature, isn't it? Get the back in line and the blast forward with all that traction?
Yep, works well enough (though the difference in traction was actually hard to tell) but when there's parts where you need to change direction a couple of times in quick succession the old rear engined girl does suffer. On a 2 minute or so run she was 2-3 seconds down probably. The C4S was like 20 seconds up the road by then though Until that overheated its AWD and went into limp.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:29 PM
JPR
Racer

Got to see both the Spyder and GT4 test cars in Atlanta yesterday up close during testing. Learned:

a. the CS engine capacity is 3.8L to comply with class displacement requirements mostly and that the street car will be larger and definitely N/A (I could have been told how much bigger but then they would have had to kill me).
b.-The exterior detailing is pretty much like the test mules that have been pictured so far and the aero bits are identical to those on the CS pictures that we have seen on the forum.
c.-The mules had the same GT4 wheels of old (bet they will be a new design at launch).
d.-The rear wing fits the car much better in person that it looks in pictures.
e.-It seems that the US car will sound better than the euro because we dont need the particulate filter in the exhaust
f.-Launch is due for Geneva, or so says the local cleaning lady......

Cheers

Jpr
Old 01-16-2019, 01:34 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by JPR
Got to see both the Spyder and GT4 test cars in Atlanta yesterday up close during testing. Learned:

a. the CS engine capacity is 3.8L to comply with class displacement requirements mostly and that the street car will be larger and definitely N/A (I could have been told how much bigger but then they would have had to kill me).
b.-The exterior detailing is pretty much like the test mules that have been pictured so far and the aero bits are identical to those on the CS pictures that we have seen on the forum.
c.-The mules had the same GT4 wheels of old (bet they will be a new design at launch).
e.-It seems that the US car will sound better than the euro because we dont need the particulate filter in the exhaust

Cheers

Jpr
Good post! Thanks for sharing. How did they sound?
Old 01-16-2019, 01:36 PM
JPR
Racer

Originally Posted by bk_911
Good post! Thanks for sharing. How did they sound?
Pissed-Off, very.....

Jpr
Old 01-16-2019, 01:36 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by JPR

Cheers

Jpr
Any chance you got a look at the tach? Wondering if it's lower than 7800.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:39 PM
JPR
Racer

Originally Posted by blackholescion
Any chance you got a look at the tach? Wondering if it's lower than 7800.
No chance. The interior was dark and they were pit-crew quick in putting the covers on as soon as the ignition was switched off.

Jpr
Old 01-16-2019, 01:47 PM
Gatte
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Goes in line with the general forum consensus with the exception of a few people such as @Lordlucan.

Shouldn't be too long now.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:09 PM
ralphmusic
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JPR

Cheers

Jpr
What series has 3.8L class requirements?
Old 01-16-2019, 02:20 PM
JPR
Racer

Originally Posted by ralphmusic

What series has 3.8L class requirements?
They explained that some of the classes that the CS is slated to compete in are displacement limited. 3.8L being their target.

Jpr

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?