Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 03:08 PM
Gatte
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After a year and a half of speculation I think its safe to say we're back to square 1 then.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:12 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

I'm glad I didn't get into the waiting game to buy a new one...I'll just keep happily running up the miles on mine.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:24 PM
Mig9
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Barring any last minute changes again, there will be 3 more street car versions after the race car. The range topper is the one with the higher displacement.
- That's a bomb. Hopefully it will come. Likely not at the same time as the Regular GT4 unfortunately so I'll be forced to buy the GT4 in case the GT4RS doesn't come out later. Urgh… Might be able to conviced myself that I need a manual and shouldn't get an RS. BTW. Increase displacement doesn't mean GT3 engine guys.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:43 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Porsche has a majority stake in Manthey, they are the quasi factory team.

All Porsche GT race cars go through them for final prep. Basically whatever they do to a car, it's 'factory' approved.
I didn’t know Porsche had a majority stake in Manthey. However most of us know about their close relationship to Porsche motorsport and racing.

So many of us go to Manthey and rebuild our new GT cars for a lot of money and end up with boxes full of parts.
All we want is a car that is track ready out of the box with a license plate.
Only reason is that you’re not allowed to track your car without a plate in Europe. Might sound crazy for those that live in the US but its the truth when it comes to most European track day organizers.

The cayman gt4cs/RS is IMO the perfect car for this.
The US market just got their “track edition” Gt4. Now, let’s wait and see if the ROW get a similar treat. The regular gt4 is IMO way to soft and limited out of the box to be a good example for track only use.
It is however as so many other great GT cars a good compromise between street and occasional track use.

So all we ask for is a race car I can trailer to the track with a license plate. The world has gone mad. I know, And please don’t make it noisier than 95db.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:55 PM
blomman
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
I didn’t know Porsche had a majority stake in Manthey. However most of us know about their close relationship to Porsche motorsport and racing.

So many of us go to Manthey and rebuild our new GT cars for a lot of money and end up with boxes full of parts.
Only reason is that you’re not allowed to track your car without a plate in Europe. Might sound crazy for those that live in the US but its the truth when it comes to most European track day organizers.

The US market just got their “track edition” Gt4. Now, let’s wait and see if the ROW get a similar treat. The regular gt4 is IMO way to soft and limited out of the box to be a good example for track only use.
It is however as so many other great GT cars a good compromise between street and occasional track use.

So all we ask for is a race car I can trailer to the track with a license plate. The world has gone mad. I know, And please don’t make it noisier than 95db.
Thats why so many 981 gt4 clubsport (racecar) shown on nurburgring with plates, I've heard, They have another streetlegal gt4 in the garage
Just transfer the plates.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:01 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by blomman
Thats why so many 981 gt4 clubsport (racecar) shown on nurburgring with plates, I've heard, They have another streetlegal gt4 in the garage
Just transfer the plates.

Haha, saw that during the spring scuderia course. A gt4cs with plates. So thats why you got two? One regular gt4 and one cs. Smart. I learn something new every day.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:21 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

Cayman Clubsport GT4 running 3 of the top ten practice times during the second practice at the ROAR
hope to hear impressions from some of the guys driving them, not bad for "out of the box" on day one
Old 01-04-2019, 04:30 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Haha, saw that during the spring scuderia course. A gt4cs with plates. So thats why you got two? One regular gt4 and one cs. Smart. I learn something new every day.
Works well until it doesn't, and when it doesn't, it goes very, very, very wrong!

Old 01-04-2019, 04:43 PM
pothole
AutoX

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
How about disagreeing vehemently instead of violently. We really don't need more violence in the world, especially when we're discussing sports cars. :-)
How about recognising figurative language when it can't be anything but!
Old 01-04-2019, 04:46 PM
pothole
AutoX

Originally Posted by Selo
If it feels completely different, then it has a completely different character, and I agree that could be a good reason to purchase the new car. On the other hand, where do you drive your car that you are able to explore the top end so thoroughly? We have some nice mountain roads in New Mexico, and I'm pretty sure we're one of the lesser populated states in this country, but not many places where I can legally let the top end sparkle.

You can't do it legally, but if that's your concern, none of these cars are remotely relevant for road use. Go buy a 1.6-litre MX-5 or similar.

I'd also add that legal and safe are not even remotely the same things.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:55 PM
ralphmusic
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

We see race spec GT3 Ferrari, Cup cars, Fun Cup cars, Clubsport GT4 on UK trackdays, none of which have plates and are not road legal.

Both pictures below from trackdays at Silverstone

Old 01-04-2019, 05:05 PM
Formulabob
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Day 1 at the Roar

Originally Posted by JSF101
Cayman Clubsport GT4 running 3 of the top ten practice times during the second practice at the ROAR
hope to hear impressions from some of the guys driving them, not bad for "out of the box" on day one
Have not checked times, but watching the first afternoon session outside the west horseshoe the GT4s generally looked twitchy both entering and exiting. Had to leave early so didn’t get to talk to John T (BGB) to get driver comments. There appeared to be some correlation to drivers who last year drove FR cars in the series and their first taste of a MR car, but it could be the ediff, my aging eyes or something else. The Mercedes looked very good, the new Michelins should suit the Mustang, and the new Honda and Alpha TCR cars were very quick in the infield and on to the straight. However, GS cars killed them on top end.

As mentioned by JSF101, hopefully some drivers will post impressions from behind the wheel. BTW, the new diffuser really looks interesting from down low - lots of strakes and other flow management appendages.

Bob L
Old 01-04-2019, 05:22 PM
Formulabob
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 33 Posts
Talking ROAR

Old 01-04-2019, 05:28 PM
batmanm3
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I will second that...track cars were allowed when I was at Spa
When I was at Spa with my RS for ED, there were a couple of race teams there with Lambos and F cars doing testing

Last edited by batmanm3; 01-04-2019 at 05:31 PM. Reason: reference to earlier post
Old 01-04-2019, 05:50 PM
GoKart Mozart
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry, but can someone sum up in a nutshell what the deal is now on the 718 GT4? I lost track with all this Clubsport talk. So the new 718 GT4 will still have a N/A 3.8l engine but it will make 40 hp more? Is that the deal? How is the engine different from the current one?

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?