Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Scratched plastic on Spyder where Top clicks in on back

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 07:43 PM
dav9515
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 59 Posts

what if you applied the matte Paint protection film on the plastic to both sides. Then they'll match, won't look shiny and will stay protected from future scratches. Just a thought not sure how it would come out but shouldn't be terribly expensive to do such a small area.

The painted ones do look really nice, may have to think about doing this.
Old 04-23-2024, 07:53 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,630 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by rushpuppy
timely thread. one of my clips popped out while on the highway this morning. heard this terrible banging noise as it hit the car over and over until i was able to pull over and click it back in. not fun. thankfully didn’t cause nearly as much damage as i had feared.
That's scary. I always make sure to hear and feel the loud click. Are you sure it was clicked fully in? Also, I thought the wings were locked in place once the top was fully closed. If you try to unclip a wing when the top is up, you can't. It won't release. So I'm curious how it failed. I'm glad it didn't cause any damage.
Old 04-24-2024, 03:33 AM
MTN
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

This thread might help https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4-spyd...ide-badge.html
Old 04-29-2024, 08:22 AM
Steph718
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 25 Posts

I had the same thing happen to me, I ordered a new set and I'm waiting for them to arrive. In the time being I masked off the surrounding area and used 3 coats of plastidip, say what you will about using plastidip on a Porsche, but it was a quick, cheap fix and honestly, I LOVE the look, the color match to the rest of the interior plastic is damn near perfect. and the scratches are completely filled with 3 coats, mine were far worse than yours as well.

Will likely paint just the "Spyder" logos body color on the new set after doing this.

My car is CPO also, but I really didn't want to deal with the headache of a dealer visit and have to argue over if they should replace these for me at $280 a set and a little heat gun action. Going forward however, I triple check these latches to make sure they are solidly in place.

Last edited by Steph718; 04-29-2024 at 08:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JoeB3 (04-29-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 12:11 PM
TD_05
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Does anyone know of a plastic / rubber grommet that is inserted into the area that the top clips into place? This of course would be for when the top is down. I swear I saw a product here on reenlist or elsewhere, but can't seem to track it down now.

Old 05-12-2024, 03:09 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by TD_05
Does anyone know of a plastic / rubber grommet that is inserted into the area that the top clips into place? This of course would be for when the top is down. I swear I saw a product here on reenlist or elsewhere, but can't seem to track it down now.
Yeah, I remember that. Unfortunately it was before I owned a 981 Spyder so I didn’t take any notes. I think the guy who spearheaded it was BobZ. We should be able to find something using Google - the RL search tool is useless.

UPDATE: Found the thread which was started in 2021. Link is below. Looks like the design morphed from 3D printing to aluminum. I’ve reached out to “Tom” on the other site to see what the status is of his inventory.

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...op-down-8.html

DaveGee

Last edited by DaveGee; 05-12-2024 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-22-2024, 10:35 PM
TD_05
Instructor

Thank you
Old 05-29-2024, 12:26 AM
davemon
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I apparently failed to clip the thing in properly when I got my Sypder 3.5 years ago and never did anything about it... but I'm an engineer and I see it each time I take the top down. So, I have the part and am looking for install guidance. More properly, how folks got the old one off and then installed the new one. I am the type who has taken apart an interior before and done very occasional things like removing the trim strips from an M3, but I lack any recent experience or a depth of experience in doing these things and always seem to break clips by being to slow in the moves.
Old 06-03-2024, 01:30 AM
SpyderSean
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by davemon
I apparently failed to clip the thing in properly when I got my Sypder 3.5 years ago and never did anything about it... but I'm an engineer and I see it each time I take the top down. So, I have the part and am looking for install guidance. More properly, how folks got the old one off and then installed the new one. I am the type who has taken apart an interior before and done very occasional things like removing the trim strips from an M3, but I lack any recent experience or a depth of experience in doing these things and always seem to break clips by being to slow in the moves.
Relevant thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4-spyd...ide-badge.html
Old 06-03-2024, 01:35 AM
SpyderSean
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Another note to add: the part number you see on the back of the photos in the thread I linked above includes both the black plastic AND the silver script, pre-installed. You will not need to buy the silver script separately.

also, the part is the exact same between 981 and 718s. There might be a new part number for it now, but any parts guy should be able to help you out. It was hard for me to find one a few years back, but it eventually came in probably 2 months after ordering it
Old 08-02-2024, 11:15 PM
TD_05
Instructor

@Pete C
Do you recall how you or the painter addressed the script getting from chrome to black? Remove and replace? Tape and paint? I was thinking of painting the whole piece with script left in place and then plastic dip the script which I've done before on other cars...

Old 08-03-2024, 08:05 AM
Pete C
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by TD_05
@Pete C
Do you recall how you or the painter addressed the script getting from chrome to black? Remove and replace? Tape and paint? I was thinking of painting the whole piece with script left in place and then plastic dip the script which I've done before on other cars...
I am pretty positive that he removed the script and painted it.
It looks a million times better with the primary part painted body color also.
If I see him, I’ll ask and if different from what I recall, I’ll let you know.

Quick Reply: Scratched plastic on Spyder where Top clicks in on back