Sponsored by: APR

Change Your Air Filters

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 07:08 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 172 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
What are the difference with the BMC ones ???
Anothet difference sometimes with the BMC style ones is that the oil in this filters sometimes gets on the mass airflow sensors, and then you might need to clean the sensor. At least that has been the case in prior cars I've had.

There is some discussion of it in the link above posted by black sheep.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:11 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Type901
I don't have the service manual handy. Does anyone happen to know how often a dealer would replace these or what the time/mileage service interval is?
It's on the Regular Maintenance checklist, which only comes up every 4 years / 40K miles. Intermediate Maintenance intervals come up at the 20K / 2 year midpoints between the Regular intervals, but the air filters are not mentioned on that list even as an inspection item. I'm planning to replace my filters at 15K based on what I've seen in previous threads and now this one.

Last edited by jphughan; 06-24-2017 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:16 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 527 Posts

I had the oil on the MAF sensor problem on my RSA. I believe the GT4 uses a MAP sensor.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:30 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by aryork
BMC's have less resistance to airflow. Thus, probably also let some larger particles through that OEM filters do not.
Originally Posted by vantage
Anothet difference sometimes with the BMC style ones is that the oil in this filters sometimes gets on the mass airflow sensors, and then you might need to clean the sensor. At least that has been the case in prior cars I've had.
These issues are what have kept me away from aftermarket filters -- it may not be such a cheap way to add power in the long run. I also like the way my car sounds now and don't know whether I'd like the way they sound with BMC filters.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:38 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 172 Likes on 102 Posts

Thanks Alan. I don't know what the difference is between a MAF and MAP so maybe someone can chime in on whether the oil causes issues or not. I see the value in the aftermarket filter but for the average owner like me, I don't want to trade one problem for another.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:40 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

We live on a dirt road, which can sometimes mean 1/2 mile of driving through a cloud of dust if there is other traffic. My filters get dirty because of this, hence the short change interval mentioned above. In addition, a recent oil analysis showed elevated silicon, though fortunately no other elevated metals (I.e., no abrasive internal engine wear due to silicate particulates). I would be very cautious about using more free flowing filters, as even the stock filters apparently let some fine particles pass through. Less of a problem for urban drivers in humid climate areas perhaps.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:27 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gulf911
Where can I find info on where and how to replace?
Shark Werks Tutorial:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NiDTRz...ature=youtu.be
Old 06-23-2017, 09:10 PM
Type901
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
It's on the Regular Maintenance checklist, which only comes up every 40K miles. Intermediate Maintenance intervals come up at the 20K midpoints between the Regular intervals, but the air filters are not mentioned on that list even as an inspection item. I'm planning to replace my filters at 15K based on what I've seen in previous threads and now this one.

Thanks. I'm going to do the same.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:46 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, I don't know if I want to upgrade to a better breathing filter. I was so much road gunk.
The following users liked this post:
ztnedman1 (09-11-2023)
Old 06-24-2017, 05:37 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Are these the correct OEM filters costing $32 each normally or is it truly a sale?
P/N: 981-110-130-00
Thank you

ELEMENT - 2016 PORSCHE CAYMAN (98111013000)
SHOP FOR RELATED PARTS IN AIR INTAKE
List Price: $50.06
You Save: $17.47 (35% off)
Sale Price: $32.59

http://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/po...t_name=element

SunCoast at $69 for Two
Air Filter Set
#PK981AIRFILTERS
$69.94
https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...IRFILTERS.html
Old 06-24-2017, 06:00 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Purchased a set of sharkwerks filters for my spyder which I'll install today. Doubt I'll be able to tell a difference as I already have sport headers, Cobb and TB/plenum installed, but if there is anything noticeable I'll report back.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:01 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Perimeter
Are these the correct OEM filters costing $32 each normally or is it truly a sale?
P/N: 981-110-130-00
Thank you

ELEMENT - 2016 PORSCHE CAYMAN (98111013000)
SHOP FOR RELATED PARTS IN AIR INTAKE
List Price: $50.06
You Save: $17.47 (35% off)
Sale Price: $32.59

http://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/po...t_name=element

SunCoast at $69 for Two
Air Filter Set
#PK981AIRFILTERS
$69.94
https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...IRFILTERS.html
Yes, although the first link appears to be for just one, and the car has two, which is why Suncoast sells them that way. The picture on the Suncoast page is also wrong, but I ordered that exact item from them and got the correct filters.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:57 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

This what my filters looked like with only 3500 miles on the car. Not as bad as some of the other filters posted in this thread, but still sort of dirty for such a low mileage car. I went ahead and changed them out since they are a bit of a pain to access.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:13 PM
Voyager6
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just changed my BMC filters. I bought a new set so I wouldn't be down a day for the water to dry out of the older BMC filters before oiling.

In tapping the filters to the ground to remove exterior dirt, i was surprised by how much dirt came off. It left a 5 inch circular pile about 1/16 inch thick. Didn't appear to be that bad before tapping them. The filters had about 8K miles on them with about 1400 miles of that from track time. Most of the dirt came from the bigger (housing) end of the filters. The interior ducts in the car had a mild dust coating of dirt that was easily wiped away. No big chunks due to Zunsport intake grills, I guess. I did see some small square black particles that might have been track rubber that was picked up.

The BMC regeneration videos say to oil both sides of pleats after cleaning and drying, but with the conical filter design, I recommend purchasing the recharge kit with oil spray rather than the squirt bottle as it is nearly impossible to squeeze the bottle and get good interior coverage. The kit with the spray on oil will likely do better coating the filter interior.

Since I now have a second set of filters, I purchased the elbow housings from eb*y and will simplify the next change by just yanking and replacing and not having to deal with unscrewing the filters from the housings and replacing them.

Also, the factory workshop manual recommends recoating the green seals on the housing with silicone grease (I suspect to make the next removal a bit easier and less likely to pull the seal out of the groove in the housing.

V6
Old 07-07-2017, 01:53 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,470 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by Voyager6
Just changed my BMC filters. I bought a new set so I wouldn't be down a day for the water to dry out of the older BMC filters before oiling.

In tapping the filters to the ground to remove exterior dirt, i was surprised by how much dirt came off. It left a 5 inch circular pile about 1/16 inch thick. Didn't appear to be that bad before tapping them. The filters had about 8K miles on them with about 1400 miles of that from track time. Most of the dirt came from the bigger (housing) end of the filters. The interior ducts in the car had a mild dust coating of dirt that was easily wiped away. No big chunks due to Zunsport intake grills, I guess. I did see some small square black particles that might have been track rubber that was picked up.

The BMC regeneration videos say to oil both sides of pleats after cleaning and drying, but with the conical filter design, I recommend purchasing the recharge kit with oil spray rather than the squirt bottle as it is nearly impossible to squeeze the bottle and get good interior coverage. The kit with the spray on oil will likely do better coating the filter interior.

Since I now have a second set of filters, I purchased the elbow housings from eb*y and will simplify the next change by just yanking and replacing and not having to deal with unscrewing the filters from the housings and replacing them.

Also, the factory workshop manual recommends recoating the green seals on the housing with silicone grease (I suspect to make the next removal a bit easier and less likely to pull the seal out of the groove in the housing.

V6

I also have a second set of BMCs for the same reason.....also agree that with these filters the Spray does a much better job. The question I do still have is how much of a coat of oil you should spray. The oil does spread a bit once it hits the material so I think that spraying it once and let it sit for a while could prevent over spraying trying to cover every inch of the filter.

Quick Reply: Change Your Air Filters