Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Oil level won't display - "no info available..." ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 03:49 PM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 102 Posts

Called service manager from track last week w similar issues. Car needs to be running, hot and level. Also the rear deck lid needs to be open for at lest 20 seconds if you get the check oil warning to reset the system.

So reset via trunk lid , get the temp up, get it level , leave it running and pray...

Good luck.

PS add oil slowly, these cars are very level sensitive. Too much can be as bad or worse than a little low. Many run 1-2 bars below top fill bar particularly if tracking the car.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:31 PM
Rjmmd1
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil level won’t display after an oil change

I have a 2019 Targa 4S and did the oil change myself.

To my surprise, I couldn’t get an oil level reading after I was done. I filled the oil pan with 7.5L like it is recommended as a starting point.

The message I was getting was”Oil level currently unavailable”.

I called the Porsche dealership and spoke to the service advisor. He imstructed me to drive the car, and that it would reset itself automatically.

I was skeptic, waited for the car to get up to 190 degrees, but I still could not get a reading.

I was able to finally get a reading after friving the car for 6 miles and oil temperature got up to 215 degrees.

I hope this helps
The following users liked this post:
Derek2137 (10-02-2021)
Old 03-30-2020, 01:56 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,436 Likes on 618 Posts

Hi Rjmmd1

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. Nice first post! Welcome to RL!

if you look at the dates at the top of the posts you’ll see this thread is approaching 3 years old. I haven’t had the issue in the GT4 since I posted this. It seemed to solve itself.

I’ll assume from your user name that you’re an MD. If so, thanks for the work you do on the front lines of this crisis. Be well!
Old 03-31-2020, 10:19 PM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
Not that it answers the OP's question, but I recently discovered that any time the hatch (Cayman) or trunk lid (Boxster) is opened for more than 45 seconds, the system will assume you have added oil and the oil level check/report cycle will display "no information available" until several conditions are met. I think I have those conditions in a 981/991 Porsche sales rep training manual, but I don't have access to it right now. Depends on oil temp, g-forces, and some other parameters I think.
+1 on this.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:43 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts

I've also had the problem where it keeps showing me an old level. Of course, seeing the level I added oil. No change. Added more oil. No change. Eventually I got suspicious, and I figured out I was in a mode where it did display, but it was displaying a previously recorded level. I ended up having to drain some oil out. What a huge PITA!
Old 04-03-2020, 03:07 PM
user1029
Drifting

Received 558 Likes on 273 Posts

****s sake Porsche give me a dipstick
Old 04-11-2020, 11:32 AM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by aryork
I've also had the problem where it keeps showing me an old level. Of course, seeing the level I added oil. No change. Added more oil. No change. Eventually I got suspicious, and I figured out I was in a mode where it did display, but it was displaying a previously recorded level. I ended up having to drain some oil out. What a huge PITA!
Years ago after I did an oil change (not a P-car) I had a slight overfill (dipstick; this was long before all the electronic gizmos currently on cars) which necessitated removing some of the oil. Figured my choices were either completely drain, save oil, and refill OR quickly remove and replace drain plug and see how oil level responds. Chose the latter method and, predictably, ended up with a mess and way more oil drained than I'd intended when I lost grip on the drain plug (oil makes things slippery.... who knew???).

After that, I've used valved oil drain plugs (e.g. Fumoto) and, just as predictably, I've never had another overfill. However, the valved drain plug makes an oil change a heckuva lot less messy.

Have a Cayenne and a Boxster and both oil level gauges reset when the hood (Cayenne) or trunk (Boxster) lids are opened. Seeing as how the Boxster is a Spyder and the trunk/tonneau has to be opened every time the top is raised/lowered, I get the "Oil level currently unavailable" message frequently.

Quick Reply: Oil level won't display - "no info available..." ???