Any one tempted with the new Ohlins

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 12:30 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,962 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Originally Posted by Shandingo
I fitted a set of Ohlins Road and Track dampers and springs on my BMW 1M Coupe and was happy with them, but they did not provide a tremendous improvement to the car's handling.
The Road & Track product is the bottom of the line for Ohlins. Their top products are really fantastic (and priced that way).
Old 04-27-2017, 12:45 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Anyone in SoCal that is at a track day I'm at, happy to jump some kerbs at speed with you on a ride along. With the TTX on my 997RS. You'll see the difference.

TTX are the real deal. NOT cheap. For a reason. Having driven the 991GT3, GT4, and 991.1GT3RS on track, I can say the TTX is MUCH better damping and control than the stock dampers on these cars. The RS probably comes closest of the 3. The 991.1GT3 being the worst of the 3. The GT4 in my opinion is under damped and too soft in the front. The suspension is bouncy, it doesn't have great control, it dives under very hard driving. Stiffer springs in front help. But the car is 'jittery'. Ask anyone who has driven a stock clubsport. Then has driven the CS with the updated dampers. Neither are as good as an Ohlin or JRZ race damper.

The electronic setup like the FULL tractive with the canisters, etc, may be a good product. BUT, there is also a simplicity of turning the ***** for use on track. With the Ohlins TTX, one click (on the right ****) makes a pretty massive difference in the handling characteristics of the car. I'd love to drive a similar car on track back to back and see, but I've not had the opportunity to try a car with the full tractive setup.

If I had kept my GT4 and made it a track focused car, these would be on it.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:40 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,280 Posts

What's the retail cost of these bad boys?
Old 04-27-2017, 05:47 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 944 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
because it's not easy to adjust the balance of the car with PASM, hence the CS race cars also use passives.
We race 991 GT3 Cup and GT4 Clubsport in spec class racing. Actually neither car came factory equipped with adjustable shocks. The shocks are sealed with no compression nor rebound adjustment. The spec racing series we race in prohibits competitors to change shocks. So we do a lot of sway bar adjustment and alignment tuning to change the balance. Otherwise we'd replace the OE shocks and springs pronto.

To your point, I get that in some way turning a ****(or two or three or four) is more convenient(except when a wheel requires removal). And turning ***** feel traditional, man, I have done my fair share of **** turning on pit lane for race teams over the years. For those who are looking beyond the convenience and traditional factor, the DSC electronic approach adjusts the compression and rebound in more than a single-dimensional way. Some time in the future DSC will have wifi so a buddy on pit lane can make a change at the driver's request.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 04-27-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:00 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 944 Likes on 525 Posts

Ohlins makes high quality products. I run their Road & Track forks and TTX shock on my motorbikes. Very happy with them. As a motorsports fan I totally dig that a shock company crossover technologies between 4-wheel and 2-wheel vehicles, this reduces development time to bring developed products market sooner and reduce production cost by sharing some parts between the two vehicle lines. This Road & Track looks good for a user who prefers to adjust compression and rebound manually.

Having been in this industry for 21 years, I can un-biasly say that every generation of sports car that comes out, the OE shocks get better and better and better, to the point that some entry level aftermarket shocks are not an appreciable upgrade to the OE shocks(aside from the adjustability which some desires). Not saying this is true for the Road * Tracks, just saying that the entry level aftermarket shock business isn't a easy business to be in now, at least for Porsche cars. For what its worth, if I hadn't work for a race car shop that develops technologies and know what I know I'd be totally buy these Road & Tracks based on my positive experience with this brand on the bikes.

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 04-27-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:05 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Fwiw they are calling these road and track but they are based on the ttx race dampers.

The "real" road and track is a very different shock. (And lower end)

They have had a ttx road and track kit for the gt3 for several years now
Old 04-28-2017, 06:56 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 177 Likes on 111 Posts

yes misleading to be called Road and Track imo , they are the TTX system.
R@T is 1/2 the price.

I keep wanting to do DSC, but the interface seems very hard to use, if it had rebound/ bump sliders in the DSC software it would make it easy to use, but every one I know with it don't touch it !

and there has not been much GT4 info with TCP it's seems a basic set up for all cars 991 inc which cannot be right ! as a 991 drives nothing like a GT4.

I love to fine tune bump/rebound to suit my driving style and one click on a wheel is very easy to do.
ALso I like less understeer in the dry, but a bit safer in the wet, and then a few clicks on the rebound for the drive home.

I will not be buying the Ohlins as I have a GT3 coming, but I would buy a DSC if it were easier to configure and work on a gen 2 991.2 GT3.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:29 AM
DSC Sport
Former Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

yes misleading to be called Road and Track imo , they are the TTX system.
R@T is 1/2 the price.

I keep wanting to do DSC, but the interface seems very hard to use, if it had rebound/ bump sliders in the DSC software it would make it easy to use, but every one I know with it don't touch it !

and there has not been much GT4 info with TCP it's seems a basic set up for all cars 991 inc which cannot be right ! as a 991 drives nothing like a GT4.

I love to fine tune bump/rebound to suit my driving style and one click on a wheel is very easy to do.
ALso I like less understeer in the dry, but a bit safer in the wet, and then a few clicks on the rebound for the drive home.

I will not be buying the Ohlins as I have a GT3 coming, but I would buy a DSC if it were easier to configure and work on a gen 2 991.2 GT3.
We actually do have rebound/compression adjustment (simple as adding or taking out a percentage of stiffness in high/med/low speed) for the late model Porsches (991/981/718) that feature ride height sensors.

We understand it's a totally new approach to tuning, and nobody else is doing it so we're sort of defining the interface. We've started what we're calling the DSC Sport Tuning Academy, which will walk users through every step of using the tuning software through video tutorials. It can certainly be a little daunting at first, but once you get the hang of it it's actually WAY easier than tuning by ***** in my opinion - AND you have more options.

Regarding the universality of the programs, we've done a lot of testing and developing on these cars and we're using the same file for a 981 vs. a 991 because it's what works best - not because we're lazy or don't have access to these cars. You must consider that we're tuning based on weight distribution, NOT static setup of the vehicle. If you hit the brakes in a 991, it's going to be the same as hitting the brakes in a GT4 - you're going to need more damper at the nose to hold up the car. G-force is the most important input for the DSC system.

We're always happy to answer any questions you have about the system! We also work with our customers one-on-one to provide tuning support/solutions. The more specific feedback you can give us as a driver, the better we can help you get your car handling the way you would like it to. DSC Sport really is the closest thing you can get to having your own trackside suspension engineer!

What info is it that you are looking for? We can probably help. We've published a lot of info on the GT4 regarding our toe links, specific DSC tune file for the toe links, and the development process for achieving the suspension setup we're currently running on the GT4.

~Jordan

Last edited by DSC Sport; 04-28-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:20 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 177 Likes on 111 Posts

I'll go buy one as I see you are going to offer a firmware update to switch cars (have you decided on the price for a car switch yet ? )

I see the PASM on the gen 2 GT3 is noted for having more range, but DSC might still help if I already have it and it is not daft money for new firmware. (should be free though lol )

I am interested to stop dive in the GT4 and stiffen the rear a tad as I did not like the rear sway bar stiff, but need more rear stiffness than it has in the middle, I have tarret toe links and run -2.2 front and -1.8 camber in the rear with middle /middle settings.

I'll see if Centre Gravity have one left in the UK as they set up my GT4 and I understand a new UK partner.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:42 PM
DSC Sport
Former Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

I'll go buy one as I see you are going to offer a firmware update to switch cars (have you decided on the price for a car switch yet ? )

I see the PASM on the gen 2 GT3 is noted for having more range, but DSC might still help if I already have it and it is not daft money for new firmware. (should be free though lol )

I am interested to stop dive in the GT4 and stiffen the rear a tad as I did not like the rear sway bar stiff, but need more rear stiffness than it has in the middle, I have tarret toe links and run -2.2 front and -1.8 camber in the rear with middle /middle settings.

I'll see if Centre Gravity have one left in the UK as they set up my GT4 and I understand a new UK partner.
As of now the Firmware update is free. If/when we start charging it will probably be in the $250-$500 range. We can't simply offer this for free forever. It's an entirely new development whenever we release support for a new vehicle. Even if the calibration file is more or less the same, we still need to purchase the car to confirm hardware is the same (or maybe it isn't the same), create the firmware, and then test and tune (if necessary) the calibration files. I think a small fee for allowing one product to work on multiple vehicles is very reasonable.

I'm not sure if they have them in stock at the moment or not, but Centre Gravity is a great shop and have taken the time to understand what DSC is and how it works. I'm also pretty sure they even found nearly an additional 2 seconds in a GT4 by making some custom changes for the vehicle at Silverstone!
Old 04-28-2017, 03:24 PM
GTS_Ninja
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, (like most) then they are doing it wrong... and by wrong, i mean the setup and driving technique.

because it's not easy to adjust the balance of the car with PASM, hence the CS race cars also use passives.

we have people on here spending £££ on DSC and new spring sets and still have zero adjustment killing tyres ! and still understeering....

Nothing wrong with 2 ***** to twiddle imo you know where you are with passives esp Ohlins.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:58 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 918 Posts

Get the DSC...the front dive under heavy braking was a big improvement when I did the DSC and the rear fells a lot better and inspires more confidence. I do have the TPC toe links but bars are both at middle and -2.3/2.0 F/R camber.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:07 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
We understand it's a totally new approach to tuning, and nobody else is doing it so we're sort of defining the interface. We've started what we're calling the DSC Sport Tuning Academy, which will walk users through every step of using the tuning software through video tutorials. It can certainly be a little daunting at first, but once you get the hang of it it's actually WAY easier than tuning by ***** in my opinion - AND you have more options.

~Jordan
So if I get a DSC unit, can I start with the factory calibration and then just step up the damping to match new springs? I know there is a benefit to having 'more' active damping than the factory, but I'd prefer to keep it simple to start.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:55 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
So if I get a DSC unit, can I start with the factory calibration and then just step up the damping to match new springs? I know there is a benefit to having 'more' active damping than the factory, but I'd prefer to keep it simple to start.
Having full race dampers on street car isn't for everyone. I like to turn ***** but location of these ***** are annoying.

Try adjusting them after a hot session - guarantee your fingers will suffer and with gloves on, tactile sensation is decreased to turn. Ok so u can turn the wheels or jack up the car to adjust - just annoying that it is inverted design - but Ohlin dampers are amazing. If u got bad back or as lazy as I am, you probably will ask someone to adjust for you u until it is good enough,

I've been looking into dsc + htractive for awhile. People who I spoke w that run the full system w damper are blown away how good the system is. I just want to drive it one lap around the track to believe it.

Might just try DSC unit first in oem dampers w stiffer swift springs that I have (or go back to oem springs w DSC)
Old 05-01-2017, 01:50 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

The click action on the ttx dampers is very very tactile. Best of any damper I've adjusted (many).

It takes me all of 30 seconds to adjust a corner. You're not that old dc640 :-)

Quick Reply: Any one tempted with the new Ohlins