Experiment: A "fast road" alignment spec for the GT4

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 01:50 PM
bhk1004
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alan C.
My settings are:

Front -2.5 deg on camber and toe is .1mm (I like a bit of toe out for the track but really don't like it on the street)

Rear -2.0 deg on camber and total toe is 2mm

Added shims both front and rear to get the camber.

Bars full soft front and medium rear. ( I take the time/laps to get the tires up to pressure)

I am using TPC rear toe links and their DSC system.

First time on track with this setup will be at the Smokies event next month.
you are high on the rear toe vs recommended with dsc and tpc rear toe links. Might want to give them a call to discuss. Max they recommend is 1.5mm total in the rear for full track. Im running 1.5mm and can say it works better than before when I ran much higher toe in the rear without their toe links and dsc.

Might try 1.2mm next time around to see if anything changes. It's just unnecessary rear drag and tire wear to go higher than necessary I think. Running same camber as you as well.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:35 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by KOTYKB
OP - Do you mind posting pictures of the stance of the car now?
Yes, will grab some pics next time I'm out in the car.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:29 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by bhk1004
you are high on the rear toe vs recommended with dsc and tpc rear toe links. Might want to give them a call to discuss. Max they recommend is 1.5mm total in the rear for full track. Im running 1.5mm and can say it works better than before when I ran much higher toe in the rear without their toe links and dsc.

Might try 1.2mm next time around to see if anything changes. It's just unnecessary rear drag and tire wear to go higher than necessary I think. Running same camber as you as well.
I read the settings I have from TPC and they recommended 1mm toe per side on the rear for half track/street. Those may have been updated. I agree on the wear with more toe.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:47 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
I am

-2.2 front
-1.8 rear

zero toe front
a tad toe in rear, forget off hand.

ARB middle/middle

imo that's a faster better road spec car than the OP's

My set up is based on pyro testing on the tyres inc track work.
you don't want toe out either on a road car imho it's a pain in the ****.

Imo you don't want to adjust tyre pressure up 4psi either, again my set up is pyro tested, not guessed.

If I put 4psi extra in my tyres I would get the middle of the tyre hotter than either edge and thus less grip as the contact patch will not be correct.

My geo also works ok on track and is very well balanced, again on the limit the rear ARB on full stiff is not that stable. Tried it and was nice to begin with but when pushed to 100% not a stable set up.

was ok on the road with stock geo, but with a more focused geo ARB works best in the middle imo.

The car did need rear toe links, but the front is ok at -2.2 and caster is fine.

I do think people over do the rear camber looking at peoples set up's.
Also good intel, and I may consider trying this philosophy if I don't end up liking the current setup in the long run—but the initial feedback is I really like it. I didn't see wander as a problem on the freeway, and LOVED the car on back roads. Very keen and alert yet stable. This setup approaches all of the adjustments as a system, and I am definitely underselling the source of this info...
Old 03-29-2017, 07:58 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,477 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
how do you like the DSC ? I keep going to press buy and keep changing my mind !

I really like it.....even my wife likes it since it soften the suspension a bit on Normal mode when you are not pushing it and gets down to business even in Normal mode when you get agressive on your driving....really cool mod and very easy to do or uninstall. You should talk with Tom from TPC as he is very knowledgeable on the DSC and explained everything and how DSC is an improvement over stock. I originally purchased the TPC toe links but after numerous e-mails he convinced me as I was a bit skeptical on how much of an improvement the DSC would make. I feel the car is easier to drive on the edge with the DSC.....I have a specific Map on the DSC for TPCs toe links.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:20 PM
GT3Bob
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I've gone more aggressive than what is suggested here, "All in" as they say. After 3 different setups (one even more aggressive), this is where we've landed. It's quite good now...
- 3.0 F zero toe
- 2.5 R very mild toe in
Caster set to within the proper range.
ARB Soft F, Hard R
Ride height lowered (I don't remember how much F/R)
Tire wear is now perfectly even across the tread face, with 32/33 psi hot.

My main experience with the GT4 is that the rear feels glued to the pavement, unbelievably stable, while front develops a steady state push mid-corner, requiring a lift to get back on line. This new setup is much better, as in 'looser' and more balanced, though I haven't tried it yet with new MPSC 2's. (I've got a zillion heat cycles on the current tires so they are slippery and a bit unpredictable at/above the limit).

As far as street driving goes, it is extremely precise, and goes exactly where I point. The added camber, if anything, gives it a crisp, effortless feel. With 6K miles on the tires, there is no excess wear on the inner edges.

Conclusion: If you push it hard on track days, the aggressive setup is worth it. And IMO it drives quite nice at street/city speeds.

My $0.02.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:02 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

I read the settings I have from TPC and they recommended 1mm toe per side on the rear for half track/street. Those may have been updated. I agree on the wear with more toe.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I did the TPC upgrade about a month ago and their recommendation on the rear was 1 mm toe in except in their 2 most extreme alignment specs which go up to -1.2 mm and -1.5 mm...also camber on the rear goes past -2 deg on these setups.

Last edited by jmartpr; 03-30-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:51 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
I did the TPC upgrade about a month ago and their recommendation on the rear was 1 mm tow in except in their 2 most extreme alignment specs which go up to -1.2 mm and -1.5 mm...also camber on the rear goes past -2 deg on these setups.
-1.2 and -1.5 rear toe per side on the extreme settings? That would be interesting.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:16 AM
bhk1004
Racer

-1.2 and -1.5 rear toe per side on the extreme settings? That would be interesting.
1.2 - 1.5 total.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:16 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Yes, perside....that's the info I got when using TPC toe links with or without DSC
Old 03-30-2017, 11:24 AM
bhk1004
Racer

Yes, perside....that's the info I got when using TPC toe links with or without DSC
I was told total... we should get them in here. Lol.

sent Jordan an email to come in and clarify so we don't all go nuts trying to figure this out.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:32 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bhk1004
I was told total... we should get them in here. Lol.

sent Jordan an email to come in and clarify so we don't all go nuts trying to figure this out.

Good idea....I double checked the e-mail from Tom and our notes post alignment and it says per side.....definitely lets check with them.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:39 AM
bhk1004
Racer

Good idea....I double checked the e-mail from Tom and our notes post alignment and it says per side.....definitely lets check with them.
I may be wrong. It looks like I might have not read one of the emails sent where he was talking about per side toe. Hopefully one of them chimes in
Old 03-30-2017, 12:28 PM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Hey all...sorry for the confusion.

The recommended toe settings are PER SIDE.

Updating the setup sheet now to make this explicit.

sales@dscsport.com | (410) 799-7798
Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Old 03-30-2017, 02:01 PM
bhk1004
Racer

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
Hey all...sorry for the confusion.

The recommended toe settings are PER SIDE.

Updating the setup sheet now to make this explicit.
thanks for the update. I am the only idiot. Everyone ignore me!

Quick Reply: Experiment: A "fast road" alignment spec for the GT4