Sponsored by: APR

Rubbing issue with Spiegler brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 03:12 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Rubbing issue with Spiegler brake lines

I was hearing an unidentified noise from the back of my car when the suspension compressed, so I took the car into a race shop that has worked on it before, in order for the shop to diagnose the issue. Turns out the Spiegler brake lines I had the shop install were rubbing on the inside of the rear wheels and tires when the suspension compressed. The coating on the brake lines was worn through. The shop has fabricated a bracket to keep the lines away from the wheels but they think the lines should ideally be a bit longer to keep them from being streched at full extention with the bracket installed. The Spiegler kit is the 6 line one that is designed to be used with caliper studs and I am running HRE wheels in OEM sizing and offset. I have not actually seen with my with my own eyes yet how the rubbing is occurring, as the shop is about an hour drive from me, and I am hoping to get it resolved before I go back there to pick up the car, but I thought I would ask if anyone else has had this happen to their car.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:21 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 307 Posts

I had the exact same issue on my rear lines with OEM wheels/tires except lines were the RB set. In my case it was just a bit of wear on the plastic sheath over the stainless line and I agree that it was probably only during suspension compression. My shop bent the line bracket slightly and wrapped the lines with some cloth tape and there has been no wear since I went to 19" forgelines. When I run the OEM wheels again I'll check and see if it's still a problem
Old 03-08-2017, 03:34 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,327 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
I had the exact same issue on my rear lines with OEM wheels/tires ..... My shop bent the line bracket slightly and wrapped the lines with some cloth tape and there has been no wear since I went to 19" forgelines. When I run the OEM wheels again I'll check and see if it's still a problem
Any chance you can take a pic. I've got a set waiting to be installed. Thanx
Old 03-08-2017, 06:27 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 608 Likes on 372 Posts

This sounds incredibly dangerous.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:24 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ it reads like they need to find better mechanics
Old 03-08-2017, 08:31 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 996 Likes on 514 Posts

I'll check mine before I take it out again. I have the 6 piece lines. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:38 PM
futurz
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have these on my 981S. No issues with rubbing. In my case, I bypassed the bracket that the original two line version in the rear connected to. I did have to bend the bracket back a bit so it would not interfere with the lines. Its very important when installing these lines that they are rotated properly before tightening. Otherwise they may very well rub against something. That is especially important in the front where there is more stuff to clear. FWIW, and I told Essex this, IMO, the first section of the front lines that come from the fender to the bracket aren't necessary. I didn't notice any difference in the feel of the brakes after installing this kit. The only reason I put them on is because I use caliper studs and like the added safety of having a flexible line.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:36 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

The shop that installed the lines said that they did rotate the fittings several times to see if the lines would behave as desired but to no avail. The shop is very experienced and has an excellent reputation in the racing community, so I do not think this is an installation issue. Installing brake lines can only be done so many ways for any given set of lines and it is not complicated. I am still gathering facts from Essex and the race shop to try to find out why this set of lines is rubbing and will report back after I have more info.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:50 PM
Drjimh
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Shandingo, I have a set that is going to be installed on Friday when my cars gets tech for VIR. Should I hold off for now? your thoughts appreciated
Old 03-08-2017, 10:00 PM
OlsenMotorsports
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We had the same issue, Grinding noise under compression, same problem.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:05 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drjimh
Shandingo, I have a set that is going to be installed on Friday when my cars gets tech for VIR. Should I hold off for now? your thoughts appreciated
If you do not need to install the lines before VIR then I would just wait until after the event. I think more answers will be forthcoming. Like others here, I only installed my lines to allow the calipers to be removed with the caliper studs in place. If you do not have caliper studs yet, and you don't plan to install studs on Friday with the brake lines, I don't see any reason why you would want the lines to be installed now.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:06 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OlsenMotorsports
We had the same issue, Grinding noise under compression, same problem.
Do you have the 6 line Spiegler kit too?
Old 03-09-2017, 01:12 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 307 Posts

The rear lines appear to be fairly taut with the wheel at full downward travel. The key is to get them to bow in a different direction during compression rather then right at the wheel/tire. I think a shorter line would have other issues though given the above. I was ready to switch to the spiegler lines if this had remained an issue on my car. (Assuming they would be designed differently) Sounds like they have the same problem.

When I had the Tarett springs installed and the dampeners were off we moved the rear wheels full travel and messed with the bracket until the lines bent in a direction parallel to the wheel. That and running 10.5" rear forgelines gave plenty of clearance.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:52 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 176 Posts

Good info--thanks for posting. Could have presented a real issue for you and those around you on track.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:16 AM
Drjimh
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shandingo
The shop that installed the lines said that they did rotate the fittings several times to see if the lines would behave as desired but to no avail. The shop is very experienced and has an excellent reputation in the racing community, so I do not think this is an installation issue. Installing brake lines can only be done so many ways for any given set of lines and it is not complicated. I am still gathering facts from Essex and the race shop to try to find out why this set of lines is rubbing and will report back after I have more info.
Originally Posted by Shandingo
If you do not need to install the lines before VIR then I would just wait until after the event. I think more answers will be forthcoming. Like others here, I only installed my lines to allow the calipers to be removed with the caliper studs in place. If you do not have caliper studs yet, and you don't plan to install studs on Friday with the brake lines, I don't see any reason why you would want the lines to be installed now.
Thanks, I was having the studs done on Friday also, I have not had time to do them myself so was going to have the shop do them also. Thanks for the info. Think I will hold off for now. Yes I have the six line kit also

Quick Reply: Rubbing issue with Spiegler brake lines