Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Heel toe and sport button

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017 | 02:45 AM
06C2s
Racer

Default Heel toe and sport button

Ok I can swear I read somewhere that the sport button not only does the auto blipping but also opens the 3rd radiator for increased cooling? I can't find it now, maybe I was dreaming? Can anybody confirm? If this is true then when tracking or doing DE etc one really shouldn't do there own heel/toe? I personally want to work on this and get better at it so I have not been driving with the sport button on (have only done a couple canyon runs no track time yet, but plan on it)
Old 01-11-2017 | 03:21 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

search

short answer is yes

u decide if u want to blip on ur own
Old 01-11-2017 | 06:10 AM
IMOA
Instructor

Longer answer is it doesn't open a circuit to the third radiator, that circuit is always open, it simply lowers the temperature the thermostat opens so there's no difference in cooling capacity. The other important point is when you start driving aggressively (kind of 7/10's I think you'd call it) the thermostat starts opening at the lower temperature anyway.
Old 01-11-2017 | 08:52 AM
GTS_Ninja
Instructor

Originally Posted by 06C2s
Ok I can swear I read somewhere that the sport button not only does the auto blipping but also opens the 3rd radiator for increased cooling? I can't find it now, maybe I was dreaming? Can anybody confirm? If this is true then when tracking or doing DE etc one really shouldn't do there own heel/toe? I personally want to work on this and get better at it so I have not been driving with the sport button on (have only done a couple canyon runs no track time yet, but plan on it)
if you want to practice, SPORT button obviously needs to remain off, or you can leave on, but then you need to turn the TC off.

If you leave sport button off, hit the exhaust button. I think it is easier to blip shift and heel toe when exhaust is open, as opposed to closed. not so bad on this car when closed, more so on most of my previous cars.
Old 01-11-2017 | 09:43 AM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GTS_Ninja
if you want to practice, SPORT button obviously needs to remain off, or you can leave on, but then you need to turn the TC off.

If you leave sport button off, hit the exhaust button. I think it is easier to blip shift and heel toe when exhaust is open, as opposed to closed. not so bad on this car when closed, more so on most of my previous cars.
what does TC off have to do with practicing heel and toe?
Old 01-11-2017 | 10:14 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vantage
what does TC off have to do with practicing heel and toe?
Maybe in his GTS Sport and TC are somehow tied together, don't know and too lazy to STFF that, and therefore he thinks its the same in the GT4.
Old 01-11-2017 | 11:21 AM
GTS_Ninja
Instructor

Originally Posted by ExMB
Maybe in his GTS Sport and TC are somehow tied together, don't know and too lazy to STFF that, and therefore he thinks its the same in the GT4.
Yes correct... in my 981 GTS and 991 GTS, i would put the car in SPORT PLUS for the performance throttle mapping and stiffer dynamic mounts and suspension settings, then turn the ESC off to be able drive car in enhanced mode with the autoblip off. That's how it's done on those platforms.

So, i stand corrected, as i just discovered that SPORT in the GT4 is rev-matching only. I actually haven't tried that in my GT4, but just figured it would be the same. MY BAD. ;-(
Old 01-11-2017 | 12:15 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

The Sport option does keep water temps lower....and according to DMS it also engage different maps on the ECU for more aggressive driving, but that's according to them. On the temps you can see them on the dash that you do have lower operating temperatures with SPORT ON.
Old 01-11-2017 | 09:50 PM
Phil T
Rennlist Member

Here you go......read all about it..........Phil

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9356...really-do.html
Old 01-12-2017 | 12:29 AM
DrPhil Gandini
Racer

Originally Posted by jmartpr
The Sport option... according to DMS it also engage different maps on the ECU for more aggressive driving,...
Please note that the ONLY people claiming the Sport button on the GT4 engages a different ECU map is Dundon. Not one other user, shop, or manufacturer has ever claimed or documented such a thing. Conclusion: extremely unlikely. It's not a Porsche easter egg--they don't do that.
Old 01-12-2017 | 12:44 AM
06C2s
Racer

Default Thank you

ok I'll read the other post when I get back in town, but as I understand it with the button off and me doing all the work if I am able to push it hard enough the computer will decide weather or not additional cooling is needed

thanks to all who responded
Old 01-12-2017 | 12:50 AM
Viperguy324
Racer

Someone must have access to read the ecu real time... I'm not saying the sport button does any thing other then the blip.. but I have noticed on cold startup, an increase in RPMs when triggered. I guess what I'm saying is, and I say this with zero Porsche ECU knowledge... On HYDRA and older Motec the input triggers for something gear related are Fuel/Ign map based. Unlike say a pit limiter trigger which is purely ignition mapping.
Old 01-12-2017 | 12:50 AM
IMOA
Instructor

Originally Posted by 06C2s
ok I'll read the other post when I get back in town, but as I understand it with the button off and me doing all the work if I am able to push it hard enough the computer will decide weather or not additional cooling is needed

thanks to all who responded
As long as you understand that the third radiator is always used. Physically there is no pathway for coolant to pass through two radiators and not the third.
Old 01-12-2017 | 08:19 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrPhil Gandini
Please note that the ONLY people claiming the Sport button on the GT4 engages a different ECU map is Dundon. Not one other user, shop, or manufacturer has ever claimed or documented such a thing. Conclusion: extremely unlikely. It's not a Porsche easter egg--they don't do that.

Totally agree...that's why I put in the disclaimer that so far they are the one claiming that. The only thing The only thing I'm sure is that coolant temps are lower with SPORT mode on...of course, besides the auto-blip.
Old 01-13-2017 | 01:18 AM
DrPhil Gandini
Racer

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Totally agree...that's why I put in the disclaimer that so far they are the one claiming that. The only thing The only thing I'm sure is that coolant temps are lower with SPORT mode on...of course, besides the auto-blip.
I documented this with photos on another forum (Planet 9). I recorded a 30F difference in both water and oil temperatures at steady state between Sport ON and OFF. This is well known, and documented. The ECU mapping difference is "fake news" AFAIK.

Quick Reply: Heel toe and sport button