Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 02:08 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Porsche Sport Driving School--Barber Motorsports

hello all,
I also posted tis on the GT3 forum..

I am planning a trip To Birmingham in March for the Porsche Sport Driving school --both the Masters and probably the Performance school just before it, for 4 days total.

I have about 50-60 track days in the last 4-5 years and am in the Black-SOLO group in PCA Niagara (as well as GVC BMW and Trillium BMW) clubs...I drive a GT3, GT4 and previously ZR1

The PSDS reviewed my driving resume and advanced me straight into the Masters class, but I wanted to do more than 2 days f I am going to travel all the way to Alabama....the combined Masters & Masters R classes running back-to-back ( that they recommended) do not fit in my work schedule so that is not a possibility

My question for those that have done the Performance and masters classes:
Is it worth it (money and time wise) for me to do the Performance school or should I just do the 2 day Masters only?

I figure it will give me time to learn the lines and brake zones, etc.. of the track in the first two days, so I can concentrate on getting faster, smoother the last 2 days.

Also it allows me to escape from dreary mid-March NY weather for an extra 2 days

also, any recommendations on things for the wife to do while I am at the track, any restaurant recc's, do I need a car (I think the Grand Bohemian provides airport and racetrack transportation)?

anyone else going?

thanks, Kevin
Old 01-10-2017, 12:23 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Hi Kevin, thinking about going to the same dates you have for the same program so would love to hear people's experience to get the most out of it! Would've never gone but it was a surprise b-day gift from my lovely wife and I couldn't be more excited.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:47 AM
gyh
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
hello all,
I also posted tis on the GT3 forum..

I am planning a trip To Birmingham in March for the Porsche Sport Driving school --both the Masters and probably the Performance school just before it, for 4 days total.

I have about 50-60 track days in the last 4-5 years and am in the Black-SOLO group in PCA Niagara (as well as GVC BMW and Trillium BMW) clubs...I drive a GT3, GT4 and previously ZR1

The PSDS reviewed my driving resume and advanced me straight into the Masters class, but I wanted to do more than 2 days f I am going to travel all the way to Alabama....the combined Masters & Masters R classes running back-to-back ( that they recommended) do not fit in my work schedule so that is not a possibility

My question for those that have done the Performance and masters classes:
Is it worth it (money and time wise) for me to do the Performance school or should I just do the 2 day Masters only?

I figure it will give me time to learn the lines and brake zones, etc.. of the track in the first two days, so I can concentrate on getting faster, smoother the last 2 days.

Also it allows me to escape from dreary mid-March NY weather for an extra 2 days

also, any recommendations on things for the wife to do while I am at the track, any restaurant recc's, do I need a car (I think the Grand Bohemian provides airport and racetrack transportation)?

anyone else going?

thanks, Kevin
Hi Kevin,

See my posts here at #4 and #20 for my take on Performance and Masters, respectively: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9275...ng-school.html. My advice would be to just do Masters and put the money you would have spent on Performance towards some more track time in your other toys or save it for a later trip to Masters RS or RSR.

As I wrote previously, Performance was my first intro to track driving so I had a blast but, due to the lead follow format of the performance school, a more experienced driver like yourself could be frustrated. There is sometimes a huge delta between the lead-follow groups on the first day of Performance and that can feel suffocating until they rebalance and put fast with fast and slow with slow on the second day. I think you will have time to learn the track in the first day of Masters, since the first day is also lead-follow (at least as of May 2016 when I took it). Also, the way they set up the track (cones and visual markers, etc) makes it very easy to get a handle on the brake zones and racing line.

That said, I think it's impossible to have a BAD time at PSDS. Doing Performance would allow you more time to learn the track and you would be really prepared for open lapping in Masters. You would also not be held up by others in the driving exercises and autocross (though you might find some of them more remedial). You might also get some one-on-one time with some really phenomenal instructors. When I was at Performance, I capped off the school with a hotlap with Hurley Haywood, which itself may have been worth the price of admission.

In terms of things in Birmingham, my dad and I enjoyed a nice meal at Cafe Dupont in downtown Birmingham. I believe there's also shopping, food and art galleries in the Mountain Brook area which is right around the hotel which your wife could enjoy (hotel also has a spa if I remember correctly).

Cool cars by the way - share or link some pics if you don't mind
Old 01-10-2017, 05:57 PM
drwuss
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the first level and had fun though at times was frustrated even with my meager abilities. One thing I want to share is I was told is that an off track can be pricey due to the cost to repair the landscaping. Not sure if this is true or still the case just an FYI. If you are not overly concerned with the $ I say get the extra time in what will likely be much better weather than home.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:33 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by gyh
Hi Kevin,

See my posts here at #4 and #20 for my take on Performance and Masters, respectively: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9275...ng-school.html. My advice would be to just do Masters and put the money you would have spent on Performance towards some more track time in your other toys or save it for a later trip to Masters RS or RSR.

As I wrote previously, Performance was my first intro to track driving so I had a blast but, due to the lead follow format of the performance school, a more experienced driver like yourself could be frustrated. There is sometimes a huge delta between the lead-follow groups on the first day of Performance and that can feel suffocating until they rebalance and put fast with fast and slow with slow on the second day. I think you will have time to learn the track in the first day of Masters, since the first day is also lead-follow (at least as of May 2016 when I took it). Also, the way they set up the track (cones and visual markers, etc) makes it very easy to get a handle on the brake zones and racing line.

That said, I think it's impossible to have a BAD time at PSDS. Doing Performance would allow you more time to learn the track and you would be really prepared for open lapping in Masters. You would also not be held up by others in the driving exercises and autocross (though you might find some of them more remedial). You might also get some one-on-one time with some really phenomenal instructors. When I was at Performance, I capped off the school with a hotlap with Hurley Haywood, which itself may have been worth the price of admission.

In terms of things in Birmingham, my dad and I enjoyed a nice meal at Cafe Dupont in downtown Birmingham. I believe there's also shopping, food and art galleries in the Mountain Brook area which is right around the hotel which your wife could enjoy (hotel also has a spa if I remember correctly).

Cool cars by the way - share or link some pics if you don't mind
I have decided to skip the performance class, as many here and in the GT3 thread recommended, and will do the 2 day Masters in March and 3 day RS course in November (2 worst weather months up here!)

here are some pics of the cars you requested: I included my 458 as well

Old 01-11-2017, 12:49 PM
gyh
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
I have decided to skip the performance class, as many here and in the GT3 thread recommended, and will do the 2 day Masters in March and 3 day RS course in November (2 worst weather months up here!)

here are some pics of the cars you requested: I included my 458 as well
Awesome! Great stable. Be sure to let update and let us know what you thought of Masters. I'm targeting RS or RSR in late fall as well.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:37 PM
sdillon
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 51 Posts

FWIW, I agree with the others. I just attended the two-day performance school in early December. Loved it, loved the track. You only spend half of each day on the track, though - the other half is skidpad, autocross, off road, etc. I only have 10 track days under my belt (just started last year) so it was great for me, but I think you'd be bored/frustrated that you weren't spending more time on the track.

The track itself is beautiful but in my (admittedly limited) opinion, it's not too terribly difficult to learn the line.

The Grand Bohemian is very nice. The spa looked great.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:27 PM
Porrrrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son and I have worked through the different levels --have attended six times so far. Going back in April for the new RSR 4 day school. As someone else said, hard to have a bad time --the instructors are terrific, the cars are the latest models and the track is beautiful. Really enjoy the variety of cars you get to drive. Last Masters Plus we drove 911S (PDK and Manual) most of the time and rotated through GT4, GT3, Turbo S along with Boxster Spyder for autocross sessions. Hot laps with instructors are very helpful and a blast.
Its awesome that Hurley Haywood is so involved --he's got so much experience, is so helpful with instruction to improve skills . . . oh, and he's a great guy too!
Hope to keep this up as an annual event.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:20 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 238 Posts

Barber is a world class facility. The track is quick and leaves little time to rest.

Make sure you check out the museum. It is intense... the world's largest motorcycle collection.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:32 PM
NephroC4S
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice to hear about the experience. A good friend and I are going the first week of April for the basic course. Really looking forward to it!
Old 01-19-2017, 06:24 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

I'm doing Masters April 6&7. Very much looking forward to it. Staying down there for two days of Chin at Barber on the 8th and 9th. Quite a little vacation for me!!
Old 01-19-2017, 06:58 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

These are not from the school experience, but still some trackside pics from Barber to get you drooling.

Name:  JTI%20Barber%20Jan%202017%2070%20Silver%20Porsche_030_zpslclvxdqy.jpg
Views: 1059
Size:  214.6 KB

Name:  JTI%20Barber%20Jan%202017%2070%20Silver%20Porsche_025_zpsy1ftccue.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  122.3 KB

Name:  20170115_071839_zpszft9tdpm.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  232.3 KB

Name:  JTI%20Barber%20Jan%202017%2070%20Silver%20Porsche_017_zpsdzrdbyav.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  145.4 KB

Here's the fleet!

Name:  20170115_070051_zpsmvsr6otc.jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  301.1 KB

Last edited by GeoJoe; 01-19-2017 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:50 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Barber on President's Day - $99!

This is a great deal.

https://www.hookedondriving.com/even...AL_-_2/20/2017
Old 02-14-2017, 10:12 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

A great local restaurant is Gianmarco’s.

721 Broadway St
Birmingham, AL 35209
205-871-9622
Old 02-17-2017, 03:02 AM
trebien
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drwuss
One thing I want to share is I was told is that an off track can be pricey due to the cost to repair the landscaping.
This is true... they will bill you, per Petunia.

Quick Reply: Porsche Sport Driving School--Barber Motorsports