Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Gear ratios...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 01:17 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

^Holy crap you have a lot to say... no work?

Old 01-20-2017, 01:19 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
^Holy crap you have a lot to say... no work?

I like the topic and i can always find time for 2 -3 paragraphs to help (is that a lot?) .... I type 100wpm, but with 50% accuracy!
Old 01-20-2017, 06:54 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,461 Likes on 763 Posts

^Please continue to participate. Your knowledge is appreciated
Old 04-05-2017, 11:41 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 958 Likes on 554 Posts

Anyone know approximately what a limited slip + 3rd + 4th + install run? I'm pricing it out but need some reference points.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:46 PM
sdillon
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
All the above is for the GT4 and others with flat HP curves up top (or gears that are close enough to keep RPM in the max HP range) ... an older GT3 cup car with a peak HP at redline, can benefit more by optimizing shift points on the track. however, in a straight line, redline shifts and average RPM operation near redline, assure max acceleration overall
I confess I'm a bit lost by all of this. I understand that gearing does not change how much power an engine makes, but it does change how much rear wheel torque is available, doesn't it? So it seems to me that if you drive a track at 80 mph and that is middle of third gear in the rpm range, there would be benefit to having a slightly lower 3rd gear that, at the same 80mph, results in a slightly higher RPM. With that, it seems that you would have more acceleration out of an 80 mph corner with the lower 3rd gear because you're starting your exit higher up in the rev range where the motor is making more power. Is this correct?

Perhaps your broad point in all this is "it all comes out in the wash and is highly track dependent so don't worry about it". Otherwise, it seems like your arguments could be taken to an extreme where we only had one gear - sixth.

I'm sincerely not trying to be snarky, just trying to understand this better. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:02 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sdillon
I confess I'm a bit lost by all of this. I understand that gearing does not change how much power an engine makes, but it does change how much rear wheel torque is available, doesn't it? So it seems to me that if you drive a track at 80 mph and that is middle of third gear in the rpm range, there would be benefit to having a slightly lower 3rd gear that, at the same 80mph, results in a slightly higher RPM. With that, it seems that you would have more acceleration out of an 80 mph corner with the lower 3rd gear because you're starting your exit higher up in the rev range where the motor is making more power. Is this correct?

Perhaps your broad point in all this is "it all comes out in the wash and is highly track dependent so don't worry about it". Otherwise, it seems like your arguments could be taken to an extreme where we only had one gear - sixth.

I'm sincerely not trying to be snarky, just trying to understand this better. Thanks.
You understand it exactly correctly.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:22 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 958 Likes on 554 Posts

The only downside of lower gearing (assuming it's not limiting your top speed) is that you might have to shift more often or at a inopportune time on a particular track.

For example, at TWS going into turn 5 (old 997), I was bouncing off my rev limiter for about 80 feet because it was a wash to shift to 4th and then back to 3rd. If I was running the OEM 19" wheels with 5% longer gearing over the 18" wheels I typically used, it would address that opportunity and remove about 2 tenths a lap. PDK would have fixed this....

At COTA, in the GT4 - you have to be in 4th to get through T18 without running out of revs, but you don't want to be shifting while going through 16-18 laterally loaded. I find that 4th is too tall to accelerate to take advantage of the grip that appears as you enter 18, so my exit speeds out of 18 are limited to my entry speeds into 16...when I get a ton of understeer and lose the line. If 4th was little lower, I think I'd find some time there, not to mention being able to carry 4th through 19 as well.

I think you could optimize gearing for a particular track to reduce inopportune shifts and to maximize the area under the time-HP curve (maximizing energy produced/consumed).
Old 04-05-2017, 07:10 PM
trebien
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Anyone know approximately what a limited slip + 3rd + 4th + install run? I'm pricing it out but need some reference points.
There are some rumors of an ~18% reduced ring-and-pinion that I might consider waiting for...
Old 04-05-2017, 08:22 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 121 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by trebien
There are some rumors of an ~18% reduced ring-and-pinion that I might consider waiting for...
There's been a formal public announcement of an alternative mainshaft with 1st and 2nd gear you might want to consider...
Old 04-05-2017, 10:04 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,060 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
There's been a formal public announcement of an alternative mainshaft with 1st and 2nd gear you might want to consider...
Where can we find the announcement? I've looked without luck. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:54 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 121 Likes on 85 Posts

My saying so here isn't formal enough?

It's in the perfect world thread.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:55 PM
drwuss
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More information please!
Old 04-06-2017, 01:53 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
At COTA, in the GT4 - you have to be in 4th to get through T18 without running out of revs, but you don't want to be shifting while going through 16-18 laterally loaded. I find that 4th is too tall to accelerate to take advantage of the grip that appears as you enter 18, so my exit speeds out of 18 are limited to my entry speeds into 16...when I get a ton of understeer and lose the line. If 4th was little lower, I think I'd find some time there, not to mention being able to carry 4th through 19 as well.
I've been trying various things through the carousel dealing with this exact issue myself. Keeping in mind I'm on the OEM 20s and RE-71Rs, I found that if I stay in 3rd all the way through, I need to brake for T19 juuust before I run out of revs, and I get more acceleration from before the T18 apex to track-out, without it being so much torque that throttle management becomes tricky through there. That said, recently I've been shifting to 4th anyway just before the T16 apex (before the car sees max lateral load through there) mostly out of mechanical sympathy since by my eyeballing the digital speedo at T18 track-out it only seems to be costing me about 2-3 MPH there.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:56 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Where can we find the announcement? I've looked without luck. Thanks.
Here you go:

You can thank the high powered 997 turbo mile racers. Turns out that the tooling required to do their gearkit is the same as doing the GT4 mainshaft. The turbo project just sucked up a bunch of the R&D cost of the GT4 stuff.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:20 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,481 Likes on 921 Posts

How is that project coming along? Any ETA or specs/options?

Quick Reply: Gear ratios...