Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Power Package Options

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 08:12 AM
jslee225
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicRat
Sorry to hear. Probably a stupid question, but how does one know when cats have stopped working?
Originally Posted by Peter_GT4
That´s no good news...have the CG sport headers, not yet tracked since the swap.

What exactly happened to your cats and how did you realize the damage?
More noise, rattle, power loss, CEL or something else?

Peter
I got lucky. Shop had to take off headers to perform some work and they noticed basically 100% degradation of the cats. Basically everything inside the cat was gone.

for people that track the car with aftermarket cats I would definitely reccomend you check your headers before every track event which will get old quick! You need to do this so you don't have all that debris suck back in the engine and could cause you to replace the entire engine which is not covered by warranty!

Point is if you track no point in getting cats bc it won't last and could ruin engine. Wish someone would have told me this before.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:10 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 608 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
For you guys deciding between race or sport headers.....

If you are going to track it, get the race headers. I found out, much to my chagrin, that the HJS cats are not for track use and will start coming apart after 6-8 very hard track days. Ask me how I know.....actually don't, I'm a bit bummed with my CG sport headers at this point.
For what it's worth, we had a failure on the factory ClubSport manifold too because cats really can't handle the long straights at WOT. While Cargraphic has offered to suggest a more Motorsport oriented cat, if you're using the car on a race track and off-road, following this information we are suggesting catless headers for off-road use only. The owner of the company just pinged me after reading the comments so please let me know what we can do to resolve the issue and again, if you've already had your shop determine they're failing, I'm not aware so I apologize if that's the case and I'm not up to speed. Sometimes on the 987.2s the cats would free up and cause a CEL on when running a stock file but if you've looked in there and have seen them breaking down, this is the first I'm hearing about it. I can get with Cargraphic on Monday and see what they want to do but I know their stance and everyone's on tracking. Those that don't go on track, this is not a concern.

I hope you're recovering well and on the mend Jacy.

@JSLee - did we sell you manifolds as well?
Old 09-17-2016, 10:03 AM
jslee225
Racer

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
For what it's worth, we had a failure on the factory ClubSport manifold too because cats really can't handle the long straights at WOT. While Cargraphic has offered to suggest a more Motorsport oriented cat, if you're using the car on a race track and off-road, following this information we are suggesting catless headers for off-road use only. The owner of the company just pinged me after reading the comments so please let me know what we can do to resolve the issue and again, if you've already had your shop determine they're failing, I'm not aware so I apologize if that's the case and I'm not up to speed. Sometimes on the 987.2s the cats would free up and cause a CEL on when running a stock file but if you've looked in there and have seen them breaking down, this is the first I'm hearing about it. I can get with Cargraphic on Monday and see what they want to do but I know their stance and everyone's on tracking. Those that don't go on track, this is not a concern.

I hope you're recovering well and on the mend Jacy.

@JSLee - did we sell you manifolds as well?
no sir. Other popular brand on here.

Thanks for addressing! May need to switch to cg just for customer support.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:52 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 608 Likes on 271 Posts

I'm just trying to do damage control and it's clear to me that going forward, even tho a lot of folks want headers with cats to avoid a need for a tune and pass emissions, if you go on track, longevity will be compromised. I am subscribed to the thread...anyone else who wants to weigh in, please do. Remember though, even the factory header on the race car with the cat has the same issue.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:21 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,845 Likes on 1,123 Posts

Not really seen this breaking apart on the factory Porsche gt3 parts. Many many track days on cup headers which are 100 cell cats.

Anyway if your cats are falling apart just finish the job and bust out all the material. Headers. Old Skool jdm style lol
Old 09-17-2016, 11:44 AM
jslee225
Racer

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Not really seen this breaking apart on the factory Porsche gt3 parts. Many many track days on cup headers which are 100 cell cats.

Anyway if your cats are falling apart just finish the job and bust out all the material. Headers. Old Skool jdm style lol
I didn't think of that! In retrospect I should have tried that haha.

Old 09-17-2016, 12:36 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

This is interesting and more information is warranted - can those who had the cats fail on the CG sport headers or other brand let us know what other modifications you had made to your car (TB, Tune, Plenum etc.) and who the mfg. of each of those parts might have been to see if there any common parts involved?

Any idea on what has been the cause - excess heat or poor mfg. quality of cats? Could it be the result of the tune, the conditions at the track (hot humid day) or ?

Are all MFG.s using same cats? Fabspeed, Cargraphic, Dundon, GMG etc.

Seems like once again there is a track solution and a street solution - but stock may be the all around solution!
Old 09-17-2016, 02:01 PM
jslee225
Racer

Originally Posted by supercup
This is interesting and more information is warranted - can those who had the cats fail on the CG sport headers or other brand let us know what other modifications you had made to your car (TB, Tune, Plenum etc.) and who the mfg. of each of those parts might have been to see if there any common parts involved?

Any idea on what has been the cause - excess heat or poor mfg. quality of cats? Could it be the result of the tune, the conditions at the track (hot humid day) or ?

Are all MFG.s using same cats? Fabspeed, Cargraphic, Dundon, GMG etc.

Seems like once again there is a track solution and a street solution - but stock may be the all around solution!
Car was stock for me, but I do live in south texas where it's freakin hot
Old 09-17-2016, 06:39 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts

Issues that people might be having with aftermarket equipment aside, the level of service that BGB provides is pretty damn incredible. I've been on car forums for a long time, and I've never seen that kind of attentiveness that BGB pays to their customers that they do on RL.

And in the case of CG, BGB is just the middleman! Very nicely done.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:25 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,063 Likes on 548 Posts

Most of the aftermarket cats I have seen lately are metal foil in construction. I believe the factory cat is a ceramic monolith. When the ceramics start to fail they will frequently begin to melt and block off part of the flow. The metal foil will fracture and result in metal shards going downstream of the cat.

If the cat is ceramic you can use a 3/8" drive to break up the ceramic and shake it out of the shell. If it's metal you may be in for a lot more work.

Last edited by Alan C.; 09-17-2016 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:51 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by d00d
Installed IPD plenum and 82mm TB, CEL went away after a few starts.
Dundon headers are being built.
I didn't install an aftermarket filter because the increased engine wear isn't worth the few horse powers.

Just to confirm, you installed the 82 mm TB and plenum, with no other modifications, and eventually you had no CELs? Did you dyno before and after? I like the idea of simple mods that boost power modestly (but also proven, no butt dyno) and don't require tuning.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:25 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 184 Posts

Be careful to not breathe the precious metals dust when gutting a catalyst.

Yes, no tune or other performance modifications other than 82mm TB and plenum, and no CEL after a few starts.
I didn't dyno, and Dundon reports no improvements with these components so far, but I've noted more intake noise and maybe some increased HP.
Removed the rear of engine carpet pad and there was way too much at that point, so reversed that.

Last edited by d00d; 10-29-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:48 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,466 Likes on 765 Posts

I guess what I would like to know is do the stock headers also suffer the same demise after 6-8 track days?

If so - are they covered by Porsche??
Old 09-18-2016, 03:25 AM
user1029
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 278 Posts

The best part of catalytic converters failing is when the junk cat material happens to destroy the front O2 sensor, then bye bye motor?

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-a...d-headers.html

"Race headers for racecar" Always
Old 09-18-2016, 09:31 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 184 Posts

Looks like FS had used an unnamed brand 100 CPSI metallic catalyst that require strengthening rods, then switched to the quality HJS 200 CPSI metallic catalysts that don't;
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...00-cell-2.html

The metallic matrix catalysts also use ceramic as a coating, but are more resistant to race condition impacts than a ceramic matrix, from http://www.hjs-motorsport.de/downloads-en.html;

Name:  Untitled copy.jpg
Views: 1256
Size:  621.1 KB
Name:  Untitled2 copy.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  560.9 KB

Last edited by d00d; 10-29-2017 at 12:03 PM.

Quick Reply: GT4 Power Package Options