Sponsored by: APR

Springs! stock vs. clubsport vs. Tarett

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 01:46 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 629 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
Thanks again, it's swift's 70mm spring with a 45 pound/inch rate and a 27 mm compressed length. It's also good to note the spring adaptor is 2 mm.

Anyway, the helper on the front in the picture above is definitely different so I wonder if they changed the setup (the picture above is from an early installation) or if the one above was custom ordered.
Tarett's site claims the kit only includes rear helper springs, not front:

2 Front 448 lb/in Swift main springs
2 Rear 560 lb/in Swift main springs
2 Rear Swift helper springs with spacers
Old 09-06-2016, 01:54 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Hmmm.... I don't know. I bought the springs off of mooty, so maybe he can answer why they are different
Old 09-06-2016, 04:39 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,706 Likes on 2,342 Posts

not sure why no helper on front from tarret as front is shorter main spring.
if anything the helper should be up front not rear.
but for most sane ppl, i think you should run all four. they dont do anthing really other than just keep spring in place at full droop. i never run helpers. my spring flops out of the seat when at full droop. but it BOINGS back into their seats once it bounces off a few berms. i am used to that. other may freak out
Old 09-06-2016, 04:58 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Tarett's site claims the kit only includes rear helper springs, not front:
The site description is incomplete (although the picture on the site is correct). I e-mailed Tarett and they mentioned helpers front and rear (and both Joe and USCtrojan have helpers in the front with this set). 5 inches is a bit short without a helper.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:35 PM
doborder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
The site description is incomplete (although the picture on the site is correct). I e-mailed Tarett and they mentioned helpers front and rear (and both Joe and USCtrojan have helpers in the front with this set). 5 inches is a bit short without a helper.
After reading this thread and looking in my box that I received from Tarrett, I can concur, I also have 4 helper springs. I spoke with Ira this PM and they are aware of the description and will change it asap. The picture on the site is spot on though.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:36 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 629 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by doborder
After reading this thread and looking in my box that I received from Tarrett, I can concur, I also have 4 helper springs. I spoke with Ira this PM and they are aware of the description and will change it asap. The picture on the site is spot on though.
You're in for springs too, already??
Old 09-07-2016, 02:09 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

most nor cal
and SoCal
cars have springs by now
Old 09-07-2016, 09:23 AM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Any verdict on the Tarett springs yet? Do they help or hurt on the track and/or street? Any effect on understeer? How's the ride quality?

mooty says most cars in Cali have new springs by now, but I haven't seen any on-track (or even on-street) reviews yet. Did I miss them?
Old 09-07-2016, 06:05 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Trojan
Rick z
laranja
mooty was
171mph
golfnuttib
we're alt TH last weekend
Trojan has discussed the spring more than others. but not in one specific thread. I do not think u will feel the spring change on street. just that tire rolls less and last longer on track. it's a small change. don't expect miracles tho
Old 09-07-2016, 08:28 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

Stiffer springs reduce roll and unfavorable camber change. Setting the sway bars stiffer will do the same thing but the stiffness is limited. Stiff springs also reduce pitch under hard barking and will help with the rear toe curve problem. Sway bars can't help here under braking but may reduce rear bump steer on corner entry.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:33 PM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

I was wondering if the Tarett springs would provide a performance increase and/or lap time decrease. I'm also curious as to what effect (if any) the proportionally-stiffer front springs have on understeer, since stiffer front springs would be expected to have a similar effect to stiffening the front sway bar, increasing understeer.

If the primary purpose for installing them is simply to reduce tire wear, they probably won't make much difference. Between the DSC box, the TPC toe links w/ offset bushings and a fairly aggressive alignment, my tire wear is actually surprisingly even. I can post pics if needed.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:40 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BillC3
I was wondering if the Tarett springs would provide a performance increase and/or lap time decrease. I'm also curious as to what effect (if any) the proportionally-stiffer front springs have on understeer, since stiffer front springs would be expected to have a similar effect to stiffening the front sway bar, increasing understeer.

If the primary purpose for installing them is simply to reduce tire wear, they probably won't make much difference. Between the DSC box, the TPC toe links w/ offset bushings and a fairly aggressive alignment, my tire wear is actually surprisingly even. I can post pics if needed.
I have DSC box, toe links, and aggressive alignment and my tires STILL wear unevenly. I have to flip my re71r on the wheels after 2 days to even out the wear and get 4 days total out of them instead of 3. I'm praying that the springs will finally even out the wear so I don't have the flip the tires. It was the only thing in the end that evened out the wear on my GT3
Old 09-07-2016, 09:52 PM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I have DSC box, toe links, and aggressive alignment and my tires STILL wear unevenly. I have to flip my re71r on the wheels after 2 days to even out the wear and get 4 days total out of them instead of 3. I'm praying that the springs will finally even out the wear so I don't have the flip the tires. It was the only thing in the end that evened out the wear on my GT3
When are you going to the track next? Please post your results/evaluation after you get a chance to test the new springs. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2016, 10:21 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BillC3
When are you going to the track next? Please post your results/evaluation after you get a chance to test the new springs. Thanks!
Friday, but I won't have the springs installed until the end of the month
Old 09-09-2016, 08:32 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,039 Likes on 2,302 Posts

I had my car aligned and corner balanced with -3.5 camber up front with the toe links and I was still crewing up the outside of my front tires. My suspension guy recommended the swift springs (this was before Tarett started selling the kit). The springs evened out the tire wear. Driving on the street with the new springs feels like you have the sport suspension setting on all the time. It's a subtle change and very driveable.

Quick Reply: Springs! stock vs. clubsport vs. Tarett