GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Pre-Sale Notice: 2016 GT4 Guards Red/Black

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016 | 09:12 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

forgive my ignorance, i'm a porsche noob. i have been attempting to scour the archives/faqs to get alittle bit up to speed.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...l#post13488758
i referenced the above.

it was my understanding range 2 in the GT4 straddles the 7600rpm redline, meaning 7500-7700rpm, am i mistaken?

how useful is the durametric website?
http://www.durametric.com/usedporschebuyersguide.aspx
they do characterize range 2's differently.

i'm not attempting to be argumentative, but to gleam knowledge from fellow porsche gurus.
Old 08-07-2016 | 10:18 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Rpm value per range will differ from car to car. All that is important to know is that potential engine damage occurs at range 4 and your warranty is void at range 4. Below that, it doesn't matter. Bouncing off a rev limiter will not damage the car.
Old 08-07-2016 | 10:25 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

My Porsche service manager gave me an education on DME and I agree with others stating ranges 1 and 2 are not an issue. Porsche will CPO a car with over-revs in ranges 1 & 2. I'm pretty sure the general wisdom is that if there are over-revs in ranges 4, 5, 6 you should run (not walk) away. I've heard different points of view on range 3 over-revs. Zero over revs on any used car is probably rare, especially a track car, but even for cars driven several miles on the street.

I found this explanation recently which was quite helpful to me:

http://www.911virgin.com/
From their front page
click on "ASSURANCE"
scroll to bottom and click the photo titled "Engine Over Revs" (center photos)

Here you'll find what I think is an easily understood explanation of what the numbers mean. Maybe this will give you the warm and fuzzier about Chris' car. The info may be 6-7 years old but the explanation is valid.

Personally - I'd rather buy a car that's been driven as intended and maintained above/beyond standards (like ChrisF's car) rather than a car that sits in a garage slowly drying out. No offense to anyone who loves a garage queen - but that ain't my speed!

I also agree that this car is an unbelievable bargain. I've done many of the same mods which add up to at least $20K. He is listing it at MSRP so he is eating the sales tax (no value there for anyone but Chris (and all the mods and labor) AND he is including the OEM parts (and I kept mine for the same reason).

Last - I have no stake in this sale or this car. Just trying to offer a helpful perspective to the RL community.
Old 08-07-2016 | 10:54 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
so much idle chatter here about gt4 availability... i can't get one!!... who has an allocation!!...boo hoo hoo!!

well so here is one all dialed in, with buckets, with all the track goodies that one would ever want (unless one intends to just drive their GT4 to the mcdonalds drive thru window and back every day)...

threads like this expose the board for the number of cheap talkers and poseurs pretending they want cars... when the real deal shows up and is available, crowd goes silent.

only thing i can think of is u shd post a proper for sale thread in marketplace, chrisf...
Not everybody will buy a car listed on a forum sight unseen; regardless of how many buddies will vouch. The other thing is that while OEM parts are included warranty on a lot of other stuff has been voided by the mods.

The GT4 is still limited and people from the rest of the country shouldn't be demeaned because they don't want to buy a used car sight unseen; especially when some history can be gained by a forum search..

Old 08-07-2016 | 11:14 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

I look at it this way since I've been on the other side of this fence:

- I've bought cars sight unseen from across the country. I do my due diligence and a PPI from a trusted local shop then I make my decision. Vouching from buddies I think is good but would only be a part of the picture.

- If I need to put eyes on a car across the country or across a few states, I get on a plane. Have done it before and will do as I feel the need. If $100K is a lot of money for you (as it is for me), do what you need to do to be happy with the decision.

- As many have posted here in other threads, I buy the seller, not the car. There are many residents here including mooty, Trak Car, golfnutintib, needmoregarage, SSTHO and others that I would buy a car sight unseen and wire money. If you are new here, that's ok; you haven't had the pleasure of seeing there are many of us on here that take our reputation seriously and act accordingly. I like it here and don't want to be chased off because I've misrepresented something or done something sleazy. Member since 2005 means something to me.

- The mods don't void the warranty. Moss Magnussen rules here. If the mods cause a failure - of course warranty would not cover. The mods I'm using are tried and true on both the 987 and 981 platform so it's not like I'm playing bleeding edge here. At the end of the day, your relationship with your service manager is key. I never had an issue with any mods on my 997 GT3 and my dealer because we had a frank and open dialogue about what we should expect of one another. To that end, this same dealer got PCNA to cover a $5K repair, out of warranty on that car based on goodwill. If you are really worried about mods and absolute warranty, this isn't the car for you. Then again, you could also buy at ask, pull all the mods off, sell them and be into the car for 90ish. No mods, no worries; you get a GT4 under market for your troubles. Lots of ways to skin this cat and I may go that route myself if I can't find the right buyer.

- golfnutintib nailed it pretty well. If you know what you want and this is it, then buy. If you're looking for an excuse on why not to buy, probably better to move on.

Just my $.02
Old 08-08-2016 | 03:00 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by ChrisF
I look at it this way since I've been on the other side of this fence:

- I've bought cars sight unseen from across the country. I do my due diligence and a PPI from a trusted local shop then I make my decision. Vouching from buddies I think is good but would only be a part of the picture.

- If I need to put eyes on a car across the country or across a few states, I get on a plane. Have done it before and will do as I feel the need. If $100K is a lot of money for you (as it is for me), do what you need to do to be happy with the decision.

- As many have posted here in other threads, I buy the seller, not the car. There are many residents here including mooty, Trak Car, golfnutintib, needmoregarage, SSTHO and others that I would buy a car sight unseen and wire money. If you are new here, that's ok; you haven't had the pleasure of seeing there are many of us on here that take our reputation seriously and act accordingly. I like it here and don't want to be chased off because I've misrepresented something or done something sleazy. Member since 2005 means something to me.

- The mods don't void the warranty. Moss Magnussen rules here. If the mods cause a failure - of course warranty would not cover. The mods I'm using are tried and true on both the 987 and 981 platform so it's not like I'm playing bleeding edge here. At the end of the day, your relationship with your service manager is key. I never had an issue with any mods on my 997 GT3 and my dealer because we had a frank and open dialogue about what we should expect of one another. To that end, this same dealer got PCNA to cover a $5K repair, out of warranty on that car based on goodwill. If you are really worried about mods and absolute warranty, this isn't the car for you. Then again, you could also buy at ask, pull all the mods off, sell them and be into the car for 90ish. No mods, no worries; you get a GT4 under market for your troubles. Lots of ways to skin this cat and I may go that route myself if I can't find the right buyer.

- golfnutintib nailed it pretty well. If you know what you want and this is it, then buy. If you're looking for an excuse on why not to buy, probably better to move on.

Just my $.02
+1

I've meet Chris 5-6 times.
I can vouch his m3 ,997.2 were perfect every time I saw the vehicles.
No skin in the game. But Chris is trustworthy from little I know him.
Old 08-09-2016 | 01:59 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Official FS thread now up:

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...l#post13513548
Old 08-10-2016 | 12:08 AM
NephroC4S
Racer

Sounds like a great deal and congrats on the RS!
Old 08-10-2016 | 12:42 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Wow chrisF - that is a fantastic deal you are offering. My car is almost identical build to yours except all the track goodies and I swear I took more pictures of your car more than I usually take pic of my own track car. Lol

Glws and enjoy the new toy coming in !
Old 08-10-2016 | 01:34 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Surprised it's not sold yet.
Cheapest entry to a track ready GT4 in the USA.
Nice speck and this is a typical case where you buy the seller, not the car.
Old 08-10-2016 | 11:53 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

FYI, DME screen shot now posted in FS ad. All of 14 ignitions in range 2.
Old 08-10-2016 | 02:45 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

FYI, DME screen shot now posted in FS ad. All of 14 ignitions in range 2.
I know this is not the topic you wish to discuss when selling your car. My GR GT4 had some Range 1 over revs and I was super careful. But the reality is that even though I sold my car to a Cup Car owner, he was genuinely concerned. I was not and would gladly buy the car back if he'd sell it to me.

14 ignitions in the red is only a fraction of a single second.

And, lets face it, if you track a GT4, sooner or later you will over rev to some degree.
Old 08-10-2016 | 03:15 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

DME and over rev report are being used poorly.
u have one mole on finger tip. u likely will die of skin cancer.....
if one wants to use some over rev as bargaining tool, so be it. but to be overly worry about range 1-3 is foolish.
Old 08-10-2016 | 03:26 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Thing is, I've heard some buyers also express concerns about cars being driven in the rain. To me, it's silly but to some buyers it's very important. Their money; their choice. From a factual standpoint though, Porsche does not consider range 1 or 2 over revs to be an issue.
Old 08-10-2016 | 03:58 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Thing is, I've heard some buyers also express concerns about cars being driven in the rain. To me, it's silly but to some buyers it's very important. Their money; their choice. From a factual standpoint though, Porsche does not consider range 1 or 2 over revs to be an issue.
Lol. I don't know how anyone can bring up concerns about rain with a straight face. Smh

Perception and reality are 2 different things. Crazy what people will do/pay for perception only

Quick Reply: Pre-Sale Notice: 2016 GT4 Guards Red/Black