Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT 4 suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016 | 08:37 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by f4 plt
The start of a new week and still no word on a solution. Not having use of my car is of course bothersome but the two more critical issues are one, the car is sitting out all day every day in the elements which it doesn't do at home and more importantly the GT5 is started every morning and moved 50-100 feet and shut down. The process is repeated every evening as they put it inside. So for three weeks or so the car is started and quickly stopped twice a day, this can not be good for any of an number of reasons like cylinder abrasion as the oil has not circulated, condensation in the oil as it is never warmed up and lastly carbon build up in the DFI engine.

I do not in any way blame my dealer as they are at least doing their best to protect my car when the dealership is closed by moving it inside, I do have concerns that PORSCHE is taking so long to solve a simple problem. The solution is so simple, retrofit adjustable rear toe links such as on the GT 4 Clubsport or the GT# ( although I am told the GT 3 ones will not fit)

Its interesting that they can't get any more than barely 1.1 negative camber on the left rear of my GT 4 yet with stock height and stock OEM parts I have 1.85 negative camber on the rear of my 987.2 Boxster spyder , no sweat. Sorry for the polite rant
Why not have them button it up with as good an alignment as they can and just drive it while they work the problem? Maybe that takes some pressure off, but better than it just sitting imo.
Old 08-22-2016 | 08:53 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by zedcat
Why not have them button it up with as good an alignment as they can and just drive it while they work the problem? Maybe that takes some pressure off, but better than it just sitting imo.
I thought about that but the reason it stays there is that Porsche engineers routinely send instructions for tests they want done , not sure I totally understand that as the obvious solution is clear but it is what it is

I also experienced that with the current 'out of spec" alignment that rear end is very loose under moderate to hard braking which I had to do several weeks ago to avoid an accident occurring right in front of me. I know the dealers Master Tech is as frustrated as I am but it will all be over soon and but a piece of history. Plus all GT 4 owners may see a benefit from this issues resolution.
Old 08-22-2016 | 09:09 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

I thought about that but the reason it stays there is that Porsche engineers routinely send instructions for tests they want done , not sure I totally understand that as the obvious solution is clear but it is what it is

I also experienced that with the current 'out of spec" alignment that rear end is very loose under moderate to hard braking which I had to do several weeks ago to avoid an accident occurring right in front of me. I know the dealers Master Tech is as frustrated as I am but it will all be over soon and but a piece of history. Plus all GT 4 owners may see a benefit from this issues resolution.
Got it. Hope for the best. Will be interesting to see if they set you up with the Motorsport parts. I was quoted $3200 for Porsche Motorsport rear toe arms for my Cayman R a while back. I had aftermarket toe arms adjusters seized up and thought about going with the Porsche parts. But they were backordered also and just too much.
Old 08-24-2016 | 06:27 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

I find it interesting that there are so few responses to this thread. My conclusions would be
A) The owners that track and or auto x their GT 4's have gone after market for rear toe links to attain factory spec alignment or better.

B) There are not that many cars in my situation i.e. not being able to align to factory specs

C) Most likely most owners have not had an alignment done and therefore are not either aware of the possible issue or don't care.

My car is still at the dealership and it has been a full three weeks. The service techs are waiting word from Porsche on what to attempt next. Of course August is vacation month in Germany so that delays things.

It will be interesting what the solution will be but I don't expect anything for several weeks at least ... hope I am mistaken and pleasantly surprised
Old 08-24-2016 | 06:42 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I think the answer is A. It's ridiculous that you can't get a good alignment without aftermarket parts on this car, but it is what it is. Oem toe links came off on my car 1 week into ownership.
Old 08-24-2016 | 06:48 PM
4carl
Race Car

I had a similar problem with a 996 GT3 . could not get less than 40' of total toe . chewed up the rear tires in 2000mi of street driving. Basicly the rear tire were going sideways. dealer and factory couldn't figure it out. I put it in the air took the wheels off and took a straight edge to the control arms. the LR toe arm was bent probably from being clamped down during shipping. it wasn't much and you couldn't see it without a straight edge on it. i had them replace the arm (fixed the problem)and Porsche gave me 2 new rear tires. the tech was amazed that i found it . If it was me i would take the car to a sharp suspension shop and check everything out its obvious they don't have a clue! carl
Old 08-24-2016 | 06:50 PM
laranja
Pro

Agree with Joe on A).
I didn't drive the car at all before the susp. mods.
Old 08-24-2016 | 07:18 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Some B) as well. I (barely) got to spec in the rear. I know a few others that have not gone to after market parts yet. Tires don't last long but following other threads it seems they don't last any longer with better alignment. Seems it is more to cure or reduce understeer. I just live with it and adjust driving style. Just before the fronts cord though it's pretty hopeless. And I keep looking at the RSS thread with all those shiny parts lol. Probably pull the trigger soon, when the RE71s in 20in are available.
Old 08-24-2016 | 07:20 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4carl
I had a similar problem with a 996 GT3 . could not get less than 40' of total toe . chewed up the rear tires in 2000mi of street driving. Basicly the rear tire were going sideways. dealer and factory couldn't figure it out. I put it in the air took the wheels off and took a straight edge to the control arms. the LR toe arm was bent probably from being clamped down during shipping. it wasn't much and you couldn't see it without a straight edge on it. i had them replace the arm (fixed the problem)and Porsche gave me 2 new rear tires. the tech was amazed that i found it . If it was me i would take the car to a sharp suspension shop and check everything out its obvious they don't have a clue! carl
I would normally tend to agree except the master tech that works on my car is a PCA member and an avid PCA and SCCA autocrosser . He is good and very detailed .
Old 08-24-2016 | 08:07 PM
4carl
Race Car

I would normally tend to agree except the master tech that works on my car is a PCA member and an avid PCA and SCCA autocrosser . He is good and very detailed .
I'm not doubting his skill but there are only so may things that can cause the problem. There are very specific suspension mounting points in the factory manual that they need to measure? if they eliminate that then it has to be in the components arms, bushings etc. Ive aligned both of my GT4s and was able to get -1.5R with .120 total toe .060 per side. and -1.9 F
Old 08-24-2016 | 11:19 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

OP, I took my GT4 to the dealer in DFW today (Park Place) for that ride height issue confirmation (my earlier posts in this thread).

But first, let me ask, are you based in the South Texas area? Reason I ask is I was standing next to my car while the tech did my wheel alignment after he made some suspension changes to lower the ride height. I was chatting about alignment problems in general, and mentioned your car's problem with some detail you have posted here. He asked me if you were in the Houston area, and said he had received a call from either Porsche or your dealer (I can't remember which one he said) to discuss your car's alignment problem. He's the shop foreman there and does all GT car and track car suspension setups for that dealership. He was puzzled about the problem with you car (i think your car) and said he told the caller he couldn't help much without being right there where he could see the parts. I told him you were frustrated how long it's taking for them to resolve the problem. If this wasn't your car, it was an interesting conversation anyway.

Anyway, my car was found by him to be:
High front, 116mm vs. 109mm spec target (+2/-0 tolerance)
High rear 135mm vs. 130mm spec target (+2/-0)

These measurements were taken per the WSM with full fluids, full tank of gas (they gave me a half tank of gas, I forgot to fill up on the way there as I had promised them I would), and no people or cargo in the car.

Here is the work repair report, copied and pasted:
--------------------------------------------
lo 44953100 tu 580 front and rear
dc 44950110001 adjustment faults
client concern is that the car sits higher then exspected
set car up to measure the ride height when measuring the ride
height tech found the height to be above spec causing concern. ride
height was checked on turn plates to allow the suspension to settle
correctly, all fluids topped off, including fuel, tire pressure to
spec. front was measured at 116mm and rear was 134mm before starting.
(spec is 109mm front and 130mm rear +_ 2mm) removed all wheels to
loosen the control arms on both front and both rear then reinstalled
the wheels and lowered the car on its own weight and joust the car to
get the suspension to settle. once the suspension was settled then the
control arms were re-torque and re-measured the ride height to verify
correction. Car now sets at factory spec at 109mm in the front and
130mm in the rear.
--------------------------------------

Hmm. The quick check I was doing at the front spoiler is now 4 3/4 inches instead of 5 even. The fender well opening check is also about 1/4 inch lower. I can visually easily tell the car is lower. My earlier visit to the dealer found the front to be 120mm (different tech and tank was 1/2 full, about 50 lbs of gas difference). I will be making my own measurements at the WSM procedure points the next time I can get under the car with some time on my hands. Not sure 50 lbs of gas equals 4mm of suspension compression. The difference may be due to different techs doing the measurements.

After the car was sitting lower, he said alignment was necessary, and completed that task. The target was the "light track use settings" from myBailey's track setup sticky. I ended up with what's shown in the photo below. Did not get confirmation of wheel-load balance was within WSM spec as I had requested before the service appointment was confirmed, the car was never on scales.
'
Attached Images  

Last edited by okie981; 08-24-2016 at 11:35 PM.
Old 08-25-2016 | 05:07 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by okie981
OP, I took my GT4 to the dealer in DFW today (Park Place) for that ride height issue confirmation (my earlier posts in this thread).

But first, let me ask, are you based in the South Texas area? Reason I ask is I was standing next to my car while the tech did my wheel alignment after he made some suspension changes to lower the ride height. I was chatting about alignment problems in general, and mentioned your car's problem with some detail you have posted here. He asked me if you were in the Houston area, and said he had received a call from either Porsche or your dealer (I can't remember which one he said) to discuss your car's alignment problem. He's the shop foreman there and does all GT car and track car suspension setups for that dealership. He was puzzled about the problem with you car (i think your car) and said he told the caller he couldn't help much without being right there where he could see the parts. I told him you were frustrated how long it's taking for them to resolve the problem. If this wasn't your car, it was an interesting conversation anyway.

Anyway, my car was found by him to be:
High front, 116mm vs. 109mm spec target (+2/-0 tolerance)
High rear 135mm vs. 130mm spec target (+2/-0)

These measurements were taken per the WSM with full fluids, full tank of gas (they gave me a half tank of gas, I forgot to fill up on the way there as I had promised them I would), and no people or cargo in the car.

Here is the work repair report, copied and pasted:
--------------------------------------------
lo 44953100 tu 580 front and rear
dc 44950110001 adjustment faults
client concern is that the car sits higher then exspected
set car up to measure the ride height when measuring the ride
height tech found the height to be above spec causing concern. ride
height was checked on turn plates to allow the suspension to settle
correctly, all fluids topped off, including fuel, tire pressure to
spec. front was measured at 116mm and rear was 134mm before starting.
(spec is 109mm front and 130mm rear +_ 2mm) removed all wheels to
loosen the control arms on both front and both rear then reinstalled
the wheels and lowered the car on its own weight and joust the car to
get the suspension to settle. once the suspension was settled then the
control arms were re-torque and re-measured the ride height to verify
correction. Car now sets at factory spec at 109mm in the front and
130mm in the rear.
--------------------------------------

Hmm. The quick check I was doing at the front spoiler is now 4 3/4 inches instead of 5 even. The fender well opening check is also about 1/4 inch lower. I can visually easily tell the car is lower. My earlier visit to the dealer found the front to be 120mm (different tech and tank was 1/2 full, about 50 lbs of gas difference). I will be making my own measurements at the WSM procedure points the next time I can get under the car with some time on my hands. Not sure 50 lbs of gas equals 4mm of suspension compression. The difference may be due to different techs doing the measurements.

After the car was sitting lower, he said alignment was necessary, and completed that task. The target was the "light track use settings" from myBailey's track setup sticky. I ended up with what's shown in the photo below. Did not get confirmation of wheel-load balance was within WSM spec as I had requested before the service appointment was confirmed, the car was never on scales.
'

Yes but not Houston.. My ride height was checked and correct. My front spoiler clearance is 4.5 inches. The alignment was done with a full tank and weight in the drivers seat simulating my weight. As stated earlier, keeping the toe in limits ( no more adjustment available) the maximum negative camber that could be achieved on the left rear was 1.17 degrees which is well short of the "in spec" envelope. Both fronts and the right rear were in tolerance. The tech closely inspected all suspension points for evidence of bent or damaged parts and has performed numerous "adjustments" etc as recommended by PCNA. I am in no way upset with the thoroughness of his work or his skill. At this point I am frustrated at not having my car but also impressed that Porsche is not treating the issue as normal at doing all they can to correct it. Unfortunately it is August and vacation month in Germany

In due course all will be made right and life will go on. I am not upset with the dealer or PCNA or Porsche as each is working hard to correct an issue that sometimes just happens. I guess age allows you to put things in prospective . Down the road this will all be a memory and I will still have a great car to enjoy

Fortunately I have other toys to drive.
Old 08-25-2016 | 05:23 AM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I think the answer is A. It's ridiculous that you can't get a good alignment without aftermarket parts on this car, but it is what it is. Oem toe links came off on my car 1 week into ownership.
+1 also, at some point you have to look at your time. I would not leave my car there that long and miss driving it when there are many options for aftermarket. Fairly easy fix. Hope it works out.
Old 08-25-2016 | 07:29 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eric5280
+1 also, at some point you have to look at your time. I would not leave my car there that long and miss driving it when there are many options for aftermarket. Fairly easy fix. Hope it works out.
As stated earlier I know the "real life " fix is easy with aftermarket parts and my thread was not posted to rant at Porsche. As we know the GT 4 is a great vehicle out of the box and most will just drive it. However if a situation or condition is present that prevents the vehicle from being adjusted to factory spec alignment safety is compromised especially under hard braking as the rear end will get loose and make car control more difficult. A fix by Porsche is the way to go and I think they will professionally honor that responsibility. Yes, it is costing me time with my car but in the long run things will work out.

Besides keeping the car stock right now is the way I want to go, if for no other reason to stay in the stock auto x class.
Old 08-25-2016 | 07:37 AM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

As stated earlier I know the "real life " fix is easy with aftermarket parts and my thread was not posted to rant at Porsche. As we know the GT 4 is a great vehicle out of the box and most will just drive it. However if a situation or condition is present that prevents the vehicle from being adjusted to factory spec alignment safety is compromised especially under hard braking as the rear end will get loose and make car control more difficult. A fix by Porsche is the way to go and I think they will professionally honor that responsibility. Yes, it is costing me time with my car but in the long run things will work out.

Besides keeping the car stock right now is the way I want to go, if for no other reason to stay in the stock auto x class.
I understand completely, but would just want my car vs a solution that may involve aftermarket parts anyway if they use cup links, etc. Hope they get you a fix soon so you can get back to driving!

Quick Reply: GT 4 suspension