Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Sport Mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 01:28 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4Tony
I'm in the same boat. I don't bother doing it myself anymore. Had an instructor (he asked for a ride along) tell me at my last event that he wouldn't sign me off / recommend me for instructing unless I could show proficiency at heel toe. I use to instruct many years ago, I didn't even acknowledge his comment. I find it ridiculous. What if I was in a 991 GT3 or an RS. You're not going to sign me off because I use paddles? Stupid.

After years and years of mastering the art of heel & toe I find it a God sent gift the auto-blip of the GT4.....look it at this way, it's a safety feature as you can put 100% of your foot on the brake pedal, so no chance of slipping between the pedals or not matching the revs close enough so you can brake harder and deeper....I think I'm getting a bit lazy!!!!
Old 08-01-2017, 03:13 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,357 Likes on 827 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4Tony
I'm in the same boat. I don't bother doing it myself anymore. Had an instructor (he asked for a ride along) tell me at my last event that he wouldn't sign me off / recommend me for instructing unless I could show proficiency at heel toe. I use to instruct many years ago, I didn't even acknowledge his comment. I find it ridiculous. What if I was in a 991 GT3 or an RS. You're not going to sign me off because I use paddles? Stupid.
WOW! That just sucks.

Is it me or is some of what I read here on RL about bigger regions and their enhancement of the min HPDE stds getting a little out of hands. Some of what I read on here makes it sound like in order to move up in run group you almost have to turn your DD into a dedicated track car with cage, belts, etc. Whats next; you have to have a certain type of car - no water cooled, etc? HPDE is supposed to be fun (not accounting for those that take it too serious). Is this PCA or NASA?

Disclaimer:
I'm an instructor and my priorities are safety first, fun second because I want them to go home the same way they came.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:32 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there any page which I can use to learn more about how trackdays in the US are organised? You seem to run in various groups and I get confused with all the lingo. Over here, it is mostly two groups, novices with limited overtaking and advanced. Novices can occasionally run with instructor driving ahead.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:44 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Sven76
Is there any page which I can use to learn more about how trackdays in the US are organised? You seem to run in various groups and I get confused with all the lingo. Over here, it is mostly two groups, novices with limited overtaking and advanced. Novices can occasionally run with instructor driving ahead.
Probably way more than you want. This is for PCA in Texas. Some areas the run group colors differ.
Attached Images
Old 08-01-2017, 04:11 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Here is a link to the minimum HPDE standards as defined by PCA.

https://www.pca.org/driver-education-minimum-standards

Regions are allowed to modify, enhance them but CANNOT lessen them. That is also why you find different nomenclature for each run group; region dependent. Some times regions will get together to standardize but that doesn't guarantee that the region next door will follow suit.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:38 PM
Sven76
Pro

Originally Posted by ExMB
Here is a link to the minimum HPDE standards as defined by PCA.

https://www.pca.org/driver-education-minimum-standards

Regions are allowed to modify, enhance them but CANNOT lessen them. That is also why you find different nomenclature for each run group; region dependent. Some times regions will get together to standardize but that doesn't guarantee that the region next door will follow suit.
Thanks. Never though anybody would beat Germans when it comes to paperwork, but for Trackdays you do

Also would think that 5 groups are a bit over the top, reduced driving time. I net about 3 hours driving time on a track day, so 200+ miles depending on the track. With 5 groups, that would probably reduce by 50%?

But most in the rules ist common sense not that anybody would always apply that
Old 08-01-2017, 07:50 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Never though anybody would beat Germans when it comes to paperwork, but for Trackdays you do

Also would think that 5 groups are a bit over the top, reduced driving time. I net about 3 hours driving time on a track day, so 200+ miles depending on the track. With 5 groups, that would probably reduce by 50%?

But most in the rules ist common sense not that anybody would always apply that
That time estimate is close since most PCA events have 4 - 5 sessions here. The other thing to consider would be cost. In my area it runs about $350 + optional insurance for a weekend (events at places like COTA excluded). My understanding from Europe is that the cost are double or more than that.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:00 AM
Sven76
Pro

My understanding from Europe is that the cost are double or more than that.
True, most trackdays with a net driving time of 3 hours plus are around €800 for major tracks on weekends, cheaper weekdays or for smaller tracks (though mainland Europe does not have many tracks compared to UK). I do Bilster Berg (kind of mini Nordschleife, Walther Röhrl helped to design the track, probably one of the most fun track other than Nordschleife but much safer) on a Monday for €490 with small run group and net driving time 3 hours. Not too bad. But do the same track with other operator on a weekend and pay around €800.

Cheapest trackdays are afterwork trackdays, 1 hour for €199, or you do tourist driving (very popular at Nordschleife), which I would jot recommend as this can be chaos (see
).

Last edited by Sven76; 08-02-2017 at 03:57 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:50 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Cheapest trackdays are afterwork trackdays, 1 hour for €199, or you do tourist driving (very popular at Nordschleife), which I would jot recommend as this can be chaos (see https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LX5Y1jcoUXE).
Do you have any links to those that provide that experience at those prices. All the ones I could find want a lot more for more hours which may not be in everybody's interest (since they want to get to their next destination OR their partner can't spend money shopping on whats important to them - )
Old 08-02-2017, 05:51 PM
Sven76
Pro

Do you have any links to those that provide that experience at those prices. All the ones I could find want a lot more for more hours which may not be in everybody's interest (since they want to get to their next destination OR their partner can't spend money shopping on whats important to them - )
School of Racing does Afterwork Trackdays. But most others will be flexible to sell you half days in case they are not fully booked Worth calling / emailing them.

Quick Reply: GT4 Sport Mode