Sponsored by: APR

Randy Pobst "Marvels" at the TPC Racing GT4

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 07:03 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
No problem clearing 19x11 as long as its a "true" 19-inch wheel. I mean I have seen some wheels that have ridges or raised areas inside the wheel barrel that takes up space. Don't know why but some companies make wheels like that.
Cool. So if an aftermarket link like the tarett clears my OZ wheels, so will the TPC.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:07 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 629 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Cool. So if an aftermarket link like the tarett clears my OZ wheels, so will the TPC.
Aren't your rear OZs 10" wide? I thought that is what Tire Tack listed for them on the GT4.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:23 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 951 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
want me to snap some pics of the ClubSport rear suspension Tom?
That would be great, John. We don't have a full time resident Clubsport here.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 06-22-2016, 07:35 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Errsomeone
While I had planned to write a more complete message, this thread seems to be a good opportunity to add another account that echos TPC notes.

Quick bit about me: After years ago being heavily involved with DEs and then moving on to own and play race cars while traveling with a professional team I have taken quite a number of years away from being at the track. Recently I have just gotten to know TPC after they have setup my GT4 this season (street/track alignment, Cantrell roll bar, harnesses, brakes, etc).

This past weekend I was at Watkins Glen and paddocked with Tom. Even though TPC has offered to let me try the DSC before, I had declined as I wanted to first get a sense for the car with making adjustments one step at a time as I got back involved. For the last session of the day I asked Tom if I could take him up on the offer to try the DSC to see what the difference is.

Much like OrthoJoe's notes and true to TPC's description the DSC was certainly noticeable... Nose dive was greatly reduced and the car did feel more stable, specifically under heavy breaking.

Reading the list over time I have seen a number of threads regarding a reduction of some number of seconds that the DSC may help achieve. While I believe that DSC will help in lap times, I think this may be missing some of the point as a lap time itself involves quite a number of factors. The increased stability is noticeable and could certainly contribute to such. In my case, the largest takeaway was a feeling that I could manage the tires grip better, particularly under breaking. For my data logging, I can simply say that in the last session where I used the DSC I did not have enough clear track or time to get what I would believe to be a valuable overlay for comparison but will be looking more closely at this in the coming days. Regarding purely lap times, I can say that my times were very similar between stock controller having open track, and using the DSC while managing to get through quite a bit of traffic. Overall, I do believe that the adjustments that the DSC made did provide increased stability that was valuable.

I hope to get some useful data overlays between my sessions stock and the one I used the DSC to share. However, I can say that the DSC came home in my car
Thank you for your feedback.

Completely agree with you regrading lap times. DSC does exactly what we depict it to do, which is improve vehicle weight transfer/stability in a dynamic manner. The difference is immediately noticeable. It is no placebo effect. However, as you said, this does not guarantee quicker lap times. Neither does, better brakes, tires, or even a set of $10K+ shocks. All these items do something very specific. It is up to the driver to enjoy and get the most out of the improved characteristics. In nearly all cases the improved vehicle weight transfer/stability makes the driver feel more confident/comfortable to drive the car quicker.

PS- It was fun having you put the pressure on me from the mirror and then trying to keep up with you for a little while.

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 06-22-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:37 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mech33
Aren't your rear OZs 10" wide? I thought that is what Tire Tack listed for them on the GT4.
Nope. I didn't want 10" because oem is 11". I got 19x11 et50, and it fits just fine with the tarett links. You have to call Damon to order the 19x11 wheels.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:40 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Nope. I didn't want 10" because oem is 11". I got 19x11 et50, and it fits just fine with the tarett links. You have to call Damon to order the 19x11 wheels.
Ooo interesting... 11" et 50 is the exact same as stock! Odd that they don't recommend that one by default. Nicely done.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:42 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mech33
Ooo interesting... 11" et 50 is the exact same as stock! Odd that they don't recommend that one by default. Nicely done.
Yup. It's because they won't fit with oem toe links. Need to have aftermarket ones.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:01 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by myBailey07
Joe, my question to you is, now that you know about the problem described by BGB, have you done anything to your rear suspension, other than toe links to dial in more camber?
Actually, based on that post from BGB I read months ago, I had monoballs installed in the rear at the same time the toe links were installed. So I have front adjustable thrust arm bushings (caster pucks), front tie rods, front and rear lca monoballs, and rear toe links. In order to install the TPC toe link, I'll have to go back and toss the tarret unit and have the car re-aligned again.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:11 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Yup. It's because they won't fit with oem toe links. Need to have aftermarket ones.
Good to know, thanks Joe!

Last edited by Mech33; 06-22-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:37 PM
jpgunn
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

You can fit the OZ 19X11 ET50 with a 5mm spacer with the stock toe links too.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:15 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Eric5280
The product is a legitimate upgrade and is staying in my car. You really don't need to be a pro to feel the difference, it is that big. FYI, anyone in CO is welcome to try my unit at HPR if they like. Swap takes 5 min.
Thank you very much for your feedback. We are extremely fortunate to have customers/users like yourself, who not only enjoy and appreciate the improvements, but also willing to share your enthusiasm. Cheers!
Old 06-23-2016, 10:25 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 831 Posts

Or instead of GT4 you select C4S for the rear and add them to your cart before checkout.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:43 PM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by "
When we ran the Cayman we had a lot less rear tire AND we had a tire with a notoriously soft sidewall. There was deflection in the sidewall during the moment when you wanted to release the brakes and finish your turn-in just prior to apex and then there was toe deflections from the hard mounted toe link overpowering the rubber mounted control arm bushing. Swapping that inner rubber control arm flange for a Cup style monoball one fixed everything for us.
Naw, it really did that??? HOLY SNAP OVERSTEER BATMAN!

Quick Reply: Randy Pobst "Marvels" at the TPC Racing GT4