Sponsored by: APR

Safety of bolt in roll bars/cages

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 06:09 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenner
3. I would say that 4 (or 6) is safer because you can now wear a HNR. Yes technically you can buy a HNR that attaches to your body and allows you to wear it with 3 point belts but you don't get held in the seat as well by the 3 point belts. Being fixed in the seat with 4/6 harnesses allows you to feel more info from the car as well as concentrate on driving instead of holding yourself in place. That to me is also a "safety" feature.
Regarding this point. If my sole consideration in deciding on a bolt-in bar + harness is safety, and getting more feel from the car / faster lap times in irrelevant, would I be better off sticking with the standard belt and using a HNR such as the Simpson Hybrid?
Old 06-20-2016, 06:52 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Let me start by admitting... I know very little when it comes to cages and roll bars but this one looks real nice, and doesn't seem to be getting a lot of love ??
https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9397...l#post13382873
Old 06-20-2016, 07:02 PM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a link to the thread on the 993 boards. That thread also has some very knowledgeable people talking about safety and bolt in vs welded and some suggestions as to good builders of cages/roll bars. Several of the long term racers weigh in.

The conclusions are not much different there, welded in done by an experienced person is probably better than bolt-in, but a good bolt-in is better than nothing (some disagree).

Unfortunately, there is some information, but there isn't a lot of data about what to look for in a bolt in bar.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...d-in-bars.html

Quick Reply: Safety of bolt in roll bars/cages