Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Full Coverage Clear Wrap - Would you do it again?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 10:49 AM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I'm debating the cost ($5000) vs. the benefit of being able to stop worrying about periodic paint correction. I have a 2.5 hour daily commute, a young child, and a wife who absolutely rolls her eyes whenever I go into the garage. So I'm kind of tempted to go this route if I can not only protect the car like a partial wrap but minimize the effort to maintain the appearance after years of OCD care on my other vehicles.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:03 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 126 Posts

You should definitely apply a coating to your paint / film either way. Will make washing much easier and less dirt will stick (the less often you wash it, the less chance for swirls). If you don't want to pay $1200 for a correction/coating, then spend the $50 for a consumer version and apply it yourself.

Anyway, $5000 goes a long way towards a pro washing your car and periodic (every 2-3 years) correction. There is no right or wrong answer here.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:11 PM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Accel Junky
I guess I'm debating the cost ($5000) vs. the benefit of being able to stop worrying about periodic paint correction. I have a 2.5 hour daily commute, a young child, and a wife who absolutely rolls her eyes whenever I go into the garage. So I'm kind of tempted to go this route if I can not only protect the car like a partial wrap but minimize the effort to maintain the appearance after years of OCD care on my other vehicles.
If you're a little OCD and/or went with a darker color (incl reds) the cost for the full wrap is totally worth it IMO. The $5k buys peace of mind for things such as:

1. Using waterless washes and quick detailers - the self healing works, no swirls just from touching the car

2. Throwing a cover on a not perfectly spotless car

3. Having passengers grabbing random spots of the car as they claw their way in or out of the LWBS

4. Auto-X cones

5. HPDE shrapnel

6. Kicking or rubbing the side skirts getting in or out of the car (denim can be surprisingly tough on paint)

7. People leaning on the door when they bend down to talk to you through the window

8. Anyone wearing or carrying anything with buckles, studs, or exposed zippers

9. The pinging of rocks and gravel bouncing off the side intakes

10. Tree sap, bugs, bird poo, acid rain, etc

That said, I wouldn't go with a partial wrap as I did on my last car. The PPF films tend to be a little tackier than paint so wrapped panels seems to get dirtier faster than unwrapped which can look a little weird and plus, once you get the front, rear, and side skirts done, you might as well do the rest.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:56 PM
Charliekay
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Slightly off topic. For anyone who has done a full wrap on their GT4. Did you wrap the rear bumper? Have you had a problem with the exhaust heat melting or discolouring the wrap around the exhaust?

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:09 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 254 Posts

My turbo s , gt3 and Range Rover are full body wrapped. Love it. Love the piece of mind and I know they would look a ton worse if I didn't have them between the whole foods parking lot and the airport parking lot.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:20 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 44 Posts

I was one of the guys that didn't really want to wrap the car...I'm glad I did. FWIW, I am not full coverage, but full front, track pack, rockers, rear wheel arches and wing.

Seems they've repaved most of my commute roads and there have been little pebbles everywhere. I would have cringed, but I'm protected now. Oddly enough, I even think the XPEL portions look better than the non-covered sections.

Clean up is super easy...but I think that has to do with the Modesta rather than the XPEL.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:49 PM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Charliekay
Slightly off topic. For anyone who has done a full wrap on their GT4. Did you wrap the rear bumper? Have you had a problem with the exhaust heat melting or discolouring the wrap around the exhaust?

Thanks.
Yes I had the rear bumper wrapped. I have a little over 1200 miles and no issues with the rear exhaust.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:29 AM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 105 Posts

Fwiw I'm so impressed with the "race kit" (full front, headlights, rocker panel, side mirrors, intakes) I'm getting the remainder of the car done. Full doors, roof and wing. I'm not doing the rear hatch or rear bumper since there is minimal chance of stone / debris impact.

The last couple of track days I had I didn't get a chance to clean the bugs off right away. The clear bra saved the paint. Same thing about one of the other posters with the car in the garage it's always possible my son may accidentally graze the car with a tricycle, toy or something else. Or even me grabbing any matter of crap
stored in my garage.

I'll definitely do it again if I buy another high end car after this. Totally worth it. I have the suntek ppf.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:57 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,764 Likes on 2,361 Posts

^ if you have rubber mark or bird juice on film, spray water and detailer on it, soften it, wipe it off as soon as you can. bug juice will stain film.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:22 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Full wrap.... !! no question!
I have it on both cars and love it ...
Coming from a frugal soul, its worth every penny!
I have 3M pro series and think its the best.
People on this board are on the Xpel Kool-Aid train
I want to see their car in 5 yrs and then see mine....
Good luck whatever you decide
Regards
Ed
Old 06-14-2016, 12:05 PM
bemmett
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Based on the amount of crap I picked up in random locations across my car after being at Laguna Seca on Sunday, I'd do a full wrap again. Not sure how I got clag marks on the roof, but I did.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:24 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Btw an important note
If you do have PPF it's a good idea to use a synthetic wax over your PPF every few months ( reason it it will help prevent staining and let bug crap slide off much easier)
This is what I used
3m https://www.amazon.com/3M-39030-Perf.../dp/B000PGEMQM
Regards
Ed
Old 06-14-2016, 02:02 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 448 Likes on 267 Posts

Historically, I have been very against clear wraps. My first job out of high-school was working as a detailer and the junk available at that time had no real protective value (it yellowed after a bright summer). As a result I have vehemently opposed any idea of wrapping my cars up until now.

We have a constant stream of heavily-tracked cars come through our facility, and the Xpel-wrapped cars simply come out looking much better than the non-wrapped cars after being washed. Seeing the results, and playing around with scraps of the Xpel material here in the shop, has changed my mind. It'll be going on my personal project as soon as the car is ready. Haven't messed with any of the other brands, I just know that Xpel works as intended.

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 06-14-2016, 02:42 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm fairly certain I'm going to rock the full wrap now. It is going to $hurt$ initially but it sounds like it'll be worth it. I had a Suntek/Xpel combo before. May do that again unless Suntek is not holding up over time to discoloration etc...
Old 06-14-2016, 04:34 PM
BBiAutosport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 552 Likes on 317 Posts

We usually recommend the wrapping the full nose (bumper, fender, hood, and mirrors) and high impact areas such as the rockers and the area behind the rear tires. The full car would be great idea if budget permits. Advances in paint protection films have went a long ways. The top of the line films are very durable and does not crack, dull, or turn yellow prematurely. We use Xpel Ultimate for customer cars and have had zero issues:

- Jerry@BBiAutosport.com

Bringing Passion, Artistry, Craft to the Porsche Tuning Industry
Southern California's Porsche Performance Tuning, Engine Development,
ECU Software Tuning, Custom Fabrication, Race Preparation & Factory Service Center
Website: www.bbiautosport.com Email: sales@bbiautosport.com Phone: (714) 843-0200
Follow Us On: Facebook & Instagram

Quick Reply: Full Coverage Clear Wrap - Would you do it again?