Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Do we have one touch start?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016 | 09:47 PM
RocketGuy3
Racer

Originally Posted by neanicu
Does anyone even remotely take into consideration how these features work?! Do you even have an idea? They require electronics,wiring,sensors etc. What do you do when they break? You take it to the dealer,right?! Sometimes even the dealer scratches their head... What about when the car is out of warranty? Do you know the cost? I do...and it's not " pretty " let me tell you...
Should I even mention weight? Or complexity?
This is a GT car,for God's sake! It's supposed to be about the driver's involvement,a car that stimulates one's senses... You need a steering wheel,a stick,brakes,an engine that sounds great and a well setup suspension. Otherwise,you have bought the wrong car!!! Sorry...
How often does the CPU on your computer "break"? Electronics are far more reliable than mechanical parts... And the weight difference is almost completely non-existent. You'll notice that as cars have gotten more complex over time, they've actually become more reliable.

Again, there is ZERO practical advantage to keyed systems.

The car already has drive-by-wire, EPAS, ABS, traction control, rev-matching... Keyless ignition is a complete non-compromise, especially in comparison. All it does is make the car easier to use. It sacrifices literally nothing in terms of your driving experience.
Old 06-10-2016 | 10:43 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
How often does the CPU on your computer "break"? Electronics are far more reliable than mechanical parts... And the weight difference is almost completely non-existent. You'll notice that as cars have gotten more complex over time, they've actually become more reliable. Again, there is ZERO practical advantage to keyed systems. The car already has drive-by-wire, EPAS, ABS, traction control, rev-matching... Keyless ignition is a complete non-compromise, especially in comparison. All it does is make the car easier to use. It sacrifices literally nothing in terms of your driving experience.
Unfortunately your car doesn't work quite like your computer. There are 30-40 computers in most modern cars. You have your body control module,ABS module,transmission control module,engine management computer etc. They all need to " talk " to each other through the CAN bus system. Wait till you're stuck in the middle of nowhere at midnight after having dinner with your wife,because keyless go failed to acknowledge the presence of your key. Or get stuck in the cold when the engine management decided not to prime your fuel pump because the body control module is telling it there's a problem with the door latch. And I'm not kidding...
Then you'll realize how reliable a key is,which if you turn it on,it will send 12V to your starter...done.
Old 06-12-2016 | 03:58 PM
RocketGuy3
Racer

Originally Posted by neanicu
Unfortunately your car doesn't work quite like your computer. There are 30-40 computers in most modern cars. You have your body control module,ABS module,transmission control module,engine management computer etc. They all need to " talk " to each other through the CAN bus system. Wait till you're stuck in the middle of nowhere at midnight after having dinner with your wife,because keyless go failed to acknowledge the presence of your key. Or get stuck in the cold when the engine management decided not to prime your fuel pump because the body control module is telling it there's a problem with the door latch. And I'm not kidding...
Then you'll realize how reliable a key is,which if you turn it on,it will send 12V to your starter...done.
And my point is that each of those 30-40 computers are very reliable. Car dependability has only improved with every passing year. Look no further than consumer reports and JD Power for evidence. Anecdotally, my own personal experience backs that up, too. In fact, much of that reliability is the direct *result* of all those computers and the increased complexity of these machines.
Old 06-13-2016 | 02:04 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

These threads are entertaining.

Quick Reply: Do we have one touch start?