GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Do we have one touch start?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016 | 10:50 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

I love keyless go. I love never having to take a key from pocket/purse to open the door or start the car or lock the car.

I wish the GT4 had:
Keyless go
Seat memory
Mirror memory
Rear view cam
The little storage spot I had in the Cayman R at the base of the radio

I won't kick it out of my garage because it lacks some things that you find in the most basic Hyundai - but for the money it could use a few upgrades like seat/mirror memory (that are just software since the motors are already present).

I love that it's a GT car but I don't like having to manually adjust the seat every time I drive it after my husband drives it (or vice versa). And manually changing mirror to back out of garage....

I'm sure it's supply/demand based and as long as Porsche sells out on cars, they have no incentive to change.
Old 06-09-2016 | 11:23 PM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

The only thing I would want is back-up camera but not enough for me to pay $1200-$1500. No key less entry, no push start, no seat memory-no BS. I am old school(except for the camera). I want a key and crank it.

Five years from now we will complaining we wish these old school things would still exist. All will be remote and FI. Hey- maybe your sports car will drive itself while you sit there - Un real
Old 06-10-2016 | 01:46 AM
QShip
Instructor

Given the gymnastics to get in and out of the LWBs and how hard they make it to get keys in and out of your pocket once seated, I'd take keyless entry and start in a heartbeat.
Old 06-10-2016 | 03:02 AM
RocketGuy3
Racer

It's ridiculous that any Porsche doesn't come with so many valuable features that are *standard* in cars that cost 20% as much... A backup camera and keyless entry/ignition would take nothing away from the sportiness of this car while making it far more convenient to live with.

But Porsche knows how loyal and badge-obsessed a huge chunk of its customers are, so they just aren't motivated to keep up, unfortunately. They can continue to sell us stupidly overpriced vehicles with ridiculous profit margins, and they know we'll eat it up... Thankfully, they do make some fun rides.
Old 06-10-2016 | 03:21 AM
stingray84
Instructor

I thought I was going to miss that "start engine" button when I got the GT4. But there's some special satisfaction that comes from cranking that key and hearing the exhaust bark. It's old school and that's cool. Now I don't miss that button much.

I do wish that GT4 came with a backup camera option. But it's not a difficult fix. I put a NavTV camera in mine. Best picture quality camera I had in a car. Total cost is a bit more than OEM option.
Old 06-10-2016 | 03:33 AM
loungin
Pro

Originally Posted by QShip
Given the gymnastics to get in and out of the LWBs and how hard they make it to get keys in and out of your pocket once seated, I'd take keyless entry and start in a heartbeat.
Take out the key first and put it in the ignition before getting into the LWBs. That's why it's on the left side. Racing heritage. It has it's charm.

Come to think of it, having a key to secure and have to remember to take out before leaving is still a good thing. Accidentally having the passenger leave with the key and then driving off is a bad thing.
Old 06-10-2016 | 03:43 AM
RocketGuy3
Racer

Originally Posted by loungin
Take out the key first and put it in the ignition before getting into the LWBs. That's why it's on the left side. Racing heritage. It has it's charm.

Come to think of it, having a key to secure and have to remember to take out before leaving is still a good thing. Accidentally having the passenger leave with the key and then driving off is a bad thing.
Every keyless ignition car starts beeping, flashing, and otherwise desperately trying to get your attention when it's running, but the key is not present.

If you are foolish enough to not only leave your key with your passenger for some reason, but to ALSO drive off without somehow noticing those warnings, then you were probably also absent-minded enough to lock yourself out of your car one day with a regular key, anyways... (which, BTW, is almost completely impossible with keyless entry/ignition).

There is literally ZERO practical reason to prefer a key over a keyless system. The only argument is subjective (for the "fun" or "tradition").
Old 06-10-2016 | 04:05 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
(which, BTW, is almost completely impossible with keyless entry/ignition).
Simple. Park the car and lock it. Remember you left something in the trunk and pop the trunk. Put down your key in the trunk so that you can pick that something up. Close the trunk. Done - you have now locked your keys in your keyless entry car (at least this was possible in my C63).

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
There is literally ZERO practical reason to prefer a key over a keyless system. The only argument is subjective (for the "fun" or "tradition").
Mark me down in the fun / tradition group.
Old 06-10-2016 | 04:35 AM
RocketGuy3
Racer

Originally Posted by Bardman
Simple. Park the car and lock it. Remember you left something in the trunk and pop the trunk. Put down your key in the trunk so that you can pick that something up. Close the trunk. Done - you have now locked your keys in your keyless entry car (at least this was possible in my C63).
Hah, that's a pretty serious design flaw. Even my 2007 IS350, which was one of the first entry-level cars to ever offer the feature, didn't let you lock your keys in your trunk... kinda curious if my 2015 Mustang will now that you bring this up. I figured this was an obvious design consideration for any manufacturer worth a damn today.

... It's also a problem that I would think would be overcome by default just because all those trunks (AFAIK) operate just like the doors do -- they will unlock if they sense the key nearby. And if the key is in the trunk, that has to be nearby enough to unlock.
Old 06-10-2016 | 04:35 AM
IMOA
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bardman
Simple. Park the car and lock it. Remember you left something in the trunk and pop the trunk. Put down your key in the trunk so that you can pick that something up. Close the trunk. Done - you have now locked your keys in your keyless entry car (at least this was possible in my C63)..
In the keyless entry cars I've had in that case it would still you you open the trunk and it would give a beep to say 'hey, there's a set of keys in here'
Old 06-10-2016 | 09:38 AM
fifthspadz
Instructor

Originally Posted by QShip
Coming from a BMW M4 with keyless entry and start/stop, I do once in a while reach to the right side to try to push the button. Now when I unlock the car I put the key in the ignition and then get it. Same thing when getting out. I pry myself out of the LWB and then I take the key out. I find it much easier to get in and out with nothing in your hand and as others mentioned...it is a PITA to get the key out of your pocket once seated
Old 06-10-2016 | 11:46 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

I fully understand the "old school" preference and I say on this topic there is no right or wrong - just personal preference.
I believe rear view cam will be required in 2017. It's meant to be blind spot protection and we will have the last cars that don't include this option. It'll be factored into the price so we'll pay for it either way.

My 2009 Z06 had keyless go and would not allow me to lock keys in car or trunk). 2009!! I've had a bunch of cars with keyless go and it has never diminished the driving experience.

For me the key free car doesn't lack anything in terms of experience, and since I like keeping a house key on my car key ring (that's it - only two keys) - the keyless cars allow me to drive without a house key dangling and hitting my knee. Yeah....I can keep house key separate but now I've got to keep track of two keys and I like them together. The minute I can have a secure keyless house for a reasonable price - I'll be all over it.

On the other hand.... After seeing all the recent news stories about how remote key signals can be easily hacked with quick access to steal your car - I can see the advantage of a key. But "modern" keys have the radio signal that can be hacked by car thiefs so we'd have to go back to the days of insert key in door lock and unlock "manually".

No thanks.
Old 06-10-2016 | 11:55 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Does anyone even remotely take into consideration how these features work?! Do you even have an idea? They require electronics,wiring,sensors etc. What do you do when they break? You take it to the dealer,right?! Sometimes even the dealer scratches their head... What about when the car is out of warranty? Do you know the cost? I do...and it's not " pretty " let me tell you...
Should I even mention weight? Or complexity?
This is a GT car,for God's sake! It's supposed to be about the driver's involvement,a car that stimulates one's senses... You need a steering wheel,a stick,brakes,an engine that sounds great and a well setup suspension. Otherwise,you have bought the wrong car!!! Sorry...
Old 06-10-2016 | 12:40 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
Does anyone even remotely take into consideration how these features work?! Do you even have an idea? They require electronics,wiring,sensors etc. What do you do when they break? You take it to the dealer,right?! Sometimes even the dealer scratches their head... What about when the car is out of warranty? Do you know the cost? I do...and it's not " pretty " let me tell you...
Should I even mention weight? Or complexity?
Good points ^

Keep in mind the mirrors already have motors and wires and I ASSUME (maybe big mistake as I'm not car engineer) that it's a matter of software.

Seat already has motor and wires for adjustment. I WISH it had the spring to push seat forward. I really miss that and would gladly give up the electronic up/down for the sprung forward motion.

As for keyless go and all the problems you suggest - yes.... I wouldn't want to pay to fix this stuff outside warranty so you win on this one.

But seat memory? When it's already got motors and buttons? Does it really add weight?

If simplicity and lightweight is the goal then why offer electronically 18 way adjustable, heated sofas?

To me....if you're gonna offer the sofa, go the extra step and offer memory.

Maybe there should be a LWB "package" that includes no electronic adjustment of seats, no elec mirrors, and other "GT" focused options to keep the car "pure". But since lots of folks buy them just as fun weekend cars and never intend to track - they want comfort.

I see both sides of the argument. I go back to my original statement: no right or wrong....just personal preference.
Old 06-10-2016 | 01:00 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Good points ^ Keep in mind the mirrors already have motors and wires and I ASSUME (maybe big mistake as I'm not car engineer) that it's a matter of software. Seat already has motor and wires for adjustment. I WISH it had the spring to push seat forward. I really miss that and would gladly give up the electronic up/down for the sprung forward motion. As for keyless go and all the problems you suggest - yes.... I wouldn't want to pay to fix this stuff outside warranty so you win on this one. But seat memory? When it's already got motors and buttons? Does it really add weight? If simplicity and lightweight is the goal then why offer electronically 18 way adjustable, heated sofas? To me....if you're gonna offer the sofa, go the extra step and offer memory. Maybe there should be a LWB "package" that includes no electronic adjustment of seats, no elec mirrors, and other "GT" focused options to keep the car "pure". But since lots of folks buy them just as fun weekend cars and never intend to track - they want comfort. I see both sides of the argument. I go back to my original statement: no right or wrong....just personal preference.
Yes,every extra feature adds electronics and wiring. Control modules,sensors,extra wiring,relays,fuses etc etc etc=> added complexity and weight AKA more things to break...because these features are unreliable...they simply are! They break ALL THE TIME!
Even the " simple " cutely shaped Porsche key is a pain in the rear end when it breaks and it costs 400-500$.
Anyway,like you said,it's a matter of preference...and that's ok. But if many knew what's involved and what happens when you press a button or what needs to be done when things break,you wouldn't be so keen in having these features.
There's a thread on here where a member scanned his GT4 with Durametric. Brand new car and he had several faults. Seat low voltage,motor inoperative-intermittent,blend door actuator low voltage-not present etc etc etc. All complex over engineered electronics. I see 10-20 faults average when scanning German junk.

Anyway...back to the regular program now...

Quick Reply: Do we have one touch start?