Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Performance Tune - Which One?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016 | 12:33 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Olcha911
Cobb or Evo? Why? Any advice appreciated. No Headers to start, maybe in a few months. No other engine mods.

Thanks, Keith
Why limit to these two? Can include FVD and PP Performance as other options (although PP only seems to have a West coast presence in the US).

Seems to be limited real world data on any of these tunes, however.

I will have a PP Performance tune and Cargraphic sport headers on in 3 weeks time (main factor for me was proximity of provider), happy to post back here then.
Old 06-08-2016 | 12:35 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Radiantm3
I wasn't talking about the OP specifically. I have no idea who he is or what his credentials are. Was just speaking in general since it's very common for people to focus on getting faster based on mods and setups, rather than just learning to drive better.
These sorts of comments do get old, however. Its like ordering a hamburger and the server saying "you know what, I know better, you actually want a pizza".
Old 06-08-2016 | 01:09 AM
myBailey07
Pro

Originally Posted by Bardman
These sorts of comments do get old, however. Its like ordering a hamburger and the server saying "you know what, I know better, you actually want a pizza".
Good point. Even though I know it is true and stated with good intent I actually find it annoying too, along with the "if you want to become a better driver get a miata"

I don't find pursuing better driver skills and improving the capability of the car mutually exclusive at all. I do both and enjoy both equally. Yes, I know there is plenty of "free" time left for me as a driver to improve my skills and that's why I am investing in professional coaching; however, why should that stop me from also pursuing car/mods and improvements?

In the end this is a passion for almost all of us and there is not call from a race team in my future...so to each their own.

Happy hunting...
Old 06-08-2016 | 02:05 AM
user1029
Drifting

I would go with Cobb.

1. Widely accessible to a ton of tuners to make adjustments everywhere in the US, no shipping your ECU off to Europe. Adjustments to A/F and timing are very simple with their racetuner software.
2. You can datalog yourself to check to ensure that the tune is still doing good accounting for variances in 93octane quality and weather changes.
3. Handy display that allows you to live monitor knock, DAM, and fine knock learning values to ensure your tune is acting right as well as other things like vacuum, throttle position, etc ,etc. You'll need to lug around a laptop with other tuning companies.
4. Good to support American business.

I would save up a bunch of mods (IPD Plenum, 82mm TB, Header) then get one tune to get it all done at once. A tune on stock parts won't benefit you that much, race headers have higher yield as first mod.
Old 06-08-2016 | 08:04 AM
rickdm
Racer

Forget the tune Keith, just go work with some advanced instructors at the next DE. Maybe Velociraptor could give you a few tips

Welcome to the club.
Old 06-08-2016 | 11:07 AM
bhk1004
Racer

FYI, may help down low but basically unnoticeable up top in rpms you need the power. Few back to back runs to test this out. Might I add that full exhaust didn't change much either...
Old 06-08-2016 | 11:22 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kitwetzler
There is very little room for additional power. Most of the tunes feel faster because they make the throttle more sensitive.

I doubt you'll notice a seat of the pants difference, except maybe with the throttle remapping and that isn't actually power.
Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
A tune on it's own does not seem to do much, maybe 2-3HP on the top end.
I just posted this dyno from yesterday in a new thread. Seems to conflict with some of the things I quoted above and in the rest of this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9383...ore-after.html

Originally Posted by Olcha911
I always assumed that Porsche left room for 89-91 octane fuel and high heat conditions, etc., such that there was room for increasing timing, etc.
I agree with you based on what I saw yesterday. There is certainly room for improvement. It's not like tuning a turbo engine, the gains are small, but there are gains. Esp at 4900RPM and from 6000+

"Throttle remapping" wouldn't provide results like that! Talked to Mike the pro tuner about the throttle mapping and/or sensitivity and he said it remains identical to stock. He said it's pointless to change it unless it was for a drivers personal preference/request as for most people it would just make it harder to modulate the throttle mid corner.
Old 06-08-2016 | 11:30 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jenner
I just posted this dyno from yesterday in a new thread. Seems to conflict with some of the things I quoted above and in the rest of this thread:

I agree with you based on what I saw yesterday. There is certainly room for improvement. It's not like tuning a turbo engine, the gains are small, but there are gains. Esp at 4900RPM and from 6000+

"Throttle remapping" wouldn't provide results like that! Talked to Mike the pro tuner about the throttle mapping and/or sensitivity and he said it remains identical to stock. He said it's pointless to change it unless it was for a drivers personal preference/request as for most people it would just make it harder to modulate the throttle mid corner.

This correlates with what I have seen on our side....3 HP on a Mustang dyno with just the COBB. Now same stock GT4 with COBB custom tune + IPD + TB made +18 whp....and that was without headers, exhaust and filters.
Old 06-08-2016 | 11:35 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jmartpr
This correlates with what I have seen on our side....3 HP on a Mustang dyno with just the COBB. Now same stock GT4 with COBB custom tune + IPD + TB made +18 whp....and that was without headers, exhaust and filters.
Are we looking at the same chart? Where did 3 come from?
I see a peak gain of 8hp @ 7400RPM but I also see ~20hp & ~20 torque at 4900RPM.
Old 06-08-2016 | 11:41 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Are we looking at the same chart? Where did 3 come from?
I see a peak gain of 8hp @ 7400RPM but I also see ~20hp & ~20 torque at 4900RPM.

Oppps...my bad. Used the TQ numbers. You are right....those are great results. BTW, just sent John at BGB some dyno info comparing a stock GT4, GT4 with CG sport headers and exhaust and a GT4 with COBB/TB/IPD (no exhaust). He will probably post the info in the other Mod discussion.
Old 06-08-2016 | 12:32 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

So that's a stock car, no mods except the tune?
Old 06-08-2016 | 12:33 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
So that's a stock car, no mods except the tune?
Correct, tune only.
Old 06-08-2016 | 12:47 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Single pull dyno doesn't always tell the whole story. Not apples to apples, but after upgrading a turbo on a evoX and a dyno showing a gain of 50 more whp, my peak velocity down the main straight at the track was no different. Which means that real power was no different. A single dyno pull doesn't tell you enough
Old 06-08-2016 | 01:19 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Seriously? It would have been impossible to read with all of them overlayed on top of each other.

I was there. They did at least 10 pulls...these were the best of the stock and the best of the tuned. They could have used a stock pull that did 303hp peak vs 319 peak tuned to inflate the gains but they didn't...
Old 06-08-2016 | 01:30 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

We usually do 4-5 pulls and just pick the best one as a baseline.....

Quick Reply: Performance Tune - Which One?