Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Feeler - Would You Buy a GT4 w/ Aftermarket Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016 | 05:24 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Default Feeler - Would You Buy a GT4 w/ Aftermarket Wheels

I am wanting to get a set of wheel ordered for my car in 19x9 & 19x10 as I like the tire choices much better and don't care for the OEM wheel style. So this means that I will be warehousing my OEM or might just put them up for sale as I already have too much junk accumulating in the basement.

The question is would you have a problem buying a car with aftermarket wheels less the OEM?
Old 05-25-2016 | 05:40 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Save them. Good to have options.
Old 05-25-2016 | 05:42 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dsddcd
I am wanting to get a set of wheel ordered for my car in 19x9 & 19x10 as I like the tire choices much better and don't care for the OEM wheel style. So this means that I will be warehousing my OEM or might just put them up for sale as I already have too much junk accumulating in the basement.

The question is would you have a problem buying a car with aftermarket wheels less the OEM?
Personally I wouldn't especially if they are a different diameter, etc than OEM. Keep in mind that not everybody will agree with your wheel choice.

Last edited by ExMB; 05-25-2016 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-25-2016 | 05:43 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

I have HRE p101 on my car now and have the OEM wheels/tires in the garage. I'd say to keep them.
Old 05-25-2016 | 05:45 PM
Vintage72
Rennlist Member

I would not buy W/O the OEM included.
Old 05-25-2016 | 05:50 PM
jphughan
Drifting

I'd buy only if the cost of a new set of OEM wheels was subtracted from what I would otherwise have paid for the car, although I'd happily let the seller keep the aftermarket wheels to sell separately.
Old 05-25-2016 | 05:55 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jphughan
I'd buy only if the cost of a new set of OEM wheels was subtracted from what I would otherwise have paid for the car, although I'd happily let the seller keep the aftermarket wheels to sell separately.
This
Old 05-25-2016 | 05:57 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Well, that is what I expected but wanted to make sure. I will put them in storage!

I look at cars a bit differently, I am more practical in nature, for instance resto-mod vs restoration. Give me the new, latest and greatest and ditch the old tech. I certainly have an appreciation for all original it but not the desire. The older I get the less I want to do to the car other than get in and drive!

Thanks you for the input.
Old 05-25-2016 | 06:15 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by dsddcd
Well, that is what I expected but wanted to make sure. I will put them in storage!

I look at cars a bit differently, I am more practical in nature, for instance resto-mod vs restoration. Give me the new, latest and greatest and ditch the old tech. I certainly have an appreciation for all original it but not the desire. The older I get the less I want to do to the car other than get in and drive!

Thanks you for the input.
I feel the same way about resto-mod, but newer isn't always better, and of course wheels have a highly subjective aspect to them as well. MAYBE if I decided I liked your aftermarket wheel choice better than OEM, then I'd take the car with the aftermarket wheels, but that would be a very unlikely outcome for me, probably only if I was planning to buy that specific wheel set anyway. Otherwise, buying a car with aftermarket wheels is just a reminder that you're buying a used car, whereas a car that has OEM wheels will psychologically feel more like you're buying a new car because it looks more the way it would have if you'd bought it new. It's not completely rational of course, but it's true nonetheless, at least for some.
Old 05-25-2016 | 07:14 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jphughan
I feel the same way about resto-mod, but newer isn't always better, and of course wheels have a highly subjective aspect to them as well. MAYBE if I decided I liked your aftermarket wheel choice better than OEM, then I'd take the car with the aftermarket wheels, but that would be a very unlikely outcome for me, probably only if I was planning to buy that specific wheel set anyway. Otherwise, buying a car with aftermarket wheels is just a reminder that you're buying a used car, whereas a car that has OEM wheels will psychologically feel more like you're buying a new car because it looks more the way it would have if you'd bought it new. It's not completely rational of course, but it's true nonetheless, at least for some.
You nailed it, in some respects the OEM wheels are like a blank canvas as aftermarket is to a painting.
Old 05-25-2016 | 07:23 PM
pavster
Instructor

Just save them and when it's time to sell the car put them back on. A car with brand new looking OEM wheels will attracts more buyers than one with well worn aftermarket wheels (unless these are crazy expensive universally praised BBS or similarly priced set)
Old 05-25-2016 | 07:32 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

I would if I was okay with the diameter. But it's a personal thing. For me, something like BBS FI-R are better quality than OEM (which are also made by BBS). No issue. On the other hand, I don't like some of the wheel designs out there, particularly in 19".

So the answer is it depends. I would say that the aftermarket wheels will lessen the market appeal of the car overall. You will do better financially by keeping OEM and parting out after market wheels than trying to sell with car.
Old 05-25-2016 | 09:33 PM
evil panda
Racer

definitely keep the OEM, for all the reasons that the other commenters have already mentioned.

but another benefit is that you have another set of wheels for emergencies. i got a flat on my E90 M3 last week a half mile from home - aftermarket BBS LM, no factory spare - and instead of messing with the stupid "mobility kit", i had my wife pick me up, grabbed an OEM wheel from the garage, and had the issue resolved in 15 minutes.

i also had the wheels stolen off my former car (a Cayman S) and had it sitting on blocks for 3 days while the shop frantically tried to find a temporary set so the car could be transported. the extra set could have come in really handy if i had it!!
Old 05-26-2016 | 12:03 AM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Definitively yes. It's like saying would you not let a supermodel in your bed if she came with slippers instead of stilettos.

If I want a GT4, an aftermarket set of wheels certainly won't stop me from considering it.
Old 05-26-2016 | 01:38 AM
WildBill
Racer

I probably would not buy a GT car without the OEM wheels. I would pass and keep looking.

Quick Reply: Feeler - Would You Buy a GT4 w/ Aftermarket Wheels