Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Dundon Motorsports Update

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 09:09 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 44 Posts

Apologize if this was already mentioned, but are there plans for sport headers with cats that are street legal in California?
Old 07-26-2016, 01:15 AM
Charles@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4ttro
Ballpark figure on price of headers? Any progress updates?
Not sure on pricing yet as I have not had a chance to pull v3 headers off our test gt4 yet. We're still dealing with a few tune items. I think I should have a better ballpark on pricing in the next 2 days though. We are waiting for a few quotes on material before we will have more accurate pricing.
Charles@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 07-26-2016, 01:21 AM
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by switchface
Apologize if this was already mentioned, but are there plans for sport headers with cats that are street legal in California?
Most likely we will not be building headers with integral cats like other manufacturers. Our plan to maintain maximum Power gains and include cats is to build side exhaust pipes with cats built in with the cats mounted after the headers but before the muffler.

The plan with this would be to

1) cut the exhaust pipes off of your factory PSE exhaust and install our catted side pipes

2) purchase another PSE exhaust and modify that one and not your original

3) purchase our full exhaust system when we are completed with it and install the full catted exhaust
Old 07-26-2016, 04:54 AM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 123 Posts

it was all looking exciting till that last post lol

that will cut sales by 80% of owners !

Catted headers, a TB and a tune is what I see most people wanting on the GT4.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:23 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by mrd_spy

Not to speak for dun dun but I am sure they are not offering the headers with integrated cats due to the fact they can't get the required length necessary to tune the header for optimal performance
Old 07-26-2016, 07:24 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 629 Likes on 385 Posts

Still don't believe it will be street legal in California, unless it gets a CARB approval.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:46 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Personally I wouldn't consider headers with Catalysts because it reduces primary length and therefore reduces the scavenging effect that helps give you the power gain you are buying headers for in the first place.
When the Catalysts are moved to the side pipes you get the full benefit of long tube primary headers.
If you are not buying the full exhaust, and are concerned about cutting the side pipes off of the PSE, they can be reattached later, either by welding or clamp.

Last edited by d00d; 10-28-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:56 AM
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CarAholic
Not to speak for dun dun but I am sure they are not offering the headers with integrated cats due to the fact they can't get the required length necessary to tune the header for optimal performance
Originally Posted by Mech33
Still don't believe it will be street legal in California, unless it gets a CARB approval.
We have had many people want catted headers for the gt4. Once we have this first stage completed and in progress we will build a prototype set of catted headers.

Caraholic, yes length is part of the problem. Cost and space from the collector to the outlet flange is the other.

To be "street legal" requires a CARB certification which we here have discussed if it is worth it. 2016+ emissions standards will make it extremely hard to do. Which means more expensive. BUT for California it is something to look into as just having cats on your car doesn't mean it's legal, just means they may let you get away with it. As time goes on in sure it will only get worse.

Last edited by Charles@dundonmotorsports; 07-26-2016 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:58 AM
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by d00d
Personally I wouldn't consider headers with Catalysts because it reduces primary length and therefore reduces the scavenging effect that helps give you the power gain you are buying headers for in the first place.
When the Catalysts are moved to the side pipes you get the full benefit of long tube primary headers.
If you are not buying the full exhaust, and are concerned about cutting the side pipes off of the PSE, they can be reattached later, either by welding or clamp.

This is exactly my thoughts.

Also a fully developed tune for cat less race headers will not be as effective on a setup with cats in the headers so we would have to develop a full new tune for those.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:10 AM
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I forgot to add that the other issue is that because I did not have a gt4 available for us to do development until June/July meant that we have a very late development stage. This also doesn't help because I am sure that 80% of people wanting catted headers have already bought them.

If there was a list collected of those wanting our catted headers who have waited or have serious interest then it would help the process move along faster as well as add confidence that there are still consumers out there waiting and hoping.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:54 AM
thigos
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles@dundonmotorsports
Most likely we will not be building headers with integral cats like other manufacturers. Our plan to maintain maximum Power gains and include cats is to build side exhaust pipes with cats built in with the cats mounted after the headers but before the muffler.

1) cut the exhaust pipes off of your factory PSE exhaust and install our catted side pipes

3) purchase our full exhaust system when we are completed with it and install the full catted exhaust

I like the options listed. Any of the above would work for me. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with and pricing info

Do you guys plan on selling a package that includes the intake side parts and a tune to go with it?

I disagree. There are already several options for headers with integrated cats on the market. Dundon is providing something for a different customer. The ability to have cats further downstream while preserving the significant power benefit of a "race" header is what makes these special.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:23 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 370 Likes on 204 Posts

Let me give these a go and help Charles out!

As Charles said we're looking at options for CARB legality. Currently I'm not aware of any aftermarket header setup for the GT4 that meets this criteria.

It's still exciting because we do things different at Dundon. We look at the performance side first and get all we can out of it. The solution for a catted system is different from others and that's the point, it's different as we will provide meaningful power gains, great sound and still have cats. Just hold on until we're done developing. As Charles eluded, we're looking at a few different designs to make it as easy as possible and cost effective.

Originally Posted by Mech33
Agreed

Originally Posted by d00d
Want a job??

Originally Posted by thigos
I like the options listed. Any of the above would work for me. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with and pricing info

Do you guys plan on selling a package that includes the intake side parts and a tune to go with it?

I disagree. There are already several options for headers with integrated cats on the market. Dundon is providing something for a different customer. The ability to have cats further downstream while preserving the significant power benefit of a "race" header is what makes these special.
Thanks, we should have some idea of pricing end of this week, first part of next. As soon as we do we'll publish a new thread with all the details, the costs, performance gains, tune pricing etc.

We have an IPD plenum coming to evaluate. We're also looking at a few other options. Short answer is absolutely we will be offering a fully integrated solution including tune and intake side modifications to get the most performance possible!

We were hoping that folks would see the benefit in our approach, I think more will when you pass them on the straights...
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 07-26-2016, 01:51 PM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 123 Posts

noise regs and MOT's in the UK really put a damper on race style systems.

we cannot use 1/2 the tracks in a standard GT4 due to noise regs.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:13 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,051 Likes on 540 Posts

Looking forward to the race header.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:11 PM
belfo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Charles@dundonmotorsports

To be clear, this configuration is sweet because it allows for a quick swap between (1) a catted system that passes visual smog check for street running and (2) a straight-pipe setup for the track. Instead of a 2-3 hour header swap to do this, you just have to change out the catted straight pipes.

Quick Reply: Dundon Motorsports Update