Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Graphics

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 07:55 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,436 Likes on 618 Posts

Are there installation instructions for the GT4 decals that fit into the side air intakes?
Is this something I can do myself or should I line up my PPF guy?
Old 05-04-2016, 08:35 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,354 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Are there installation instructions for the GT4 decals that fit into the side air intakes?
Is this something I can do myself or should I line up my PPF guy?
You can do it yourself. Dan normally includes instructions on what needs to be done with his kits - not sure it will happen with just those inserts.. Be aware that they are very thin and that you will need something equally thin to press them into the grove.

In lieu of instructions make sure to use some soapy water so they can move around before you squeegee them to remove the water from under them.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:04 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
You can do it yourself. Dan normally includes instructions on what needs to be done with his kits - not sure it will happen with just those inserts.. Be aware that they are very thin and that you will need something equally thin to press them into the grove.

In lieu of instructions make sure to use some soapy water so they can move around before you squeegee them to remove the water from under them.
Hmmmm
Maybe a Q-tip covered with a small piece of clean fabric to act as squeegee? Trying to think of something suitable that won't tear the decal, and will fit into the groove.

Does the soapy water evaporate?

If I decide I don't like it - are they easy to remove once everything dries? (I'm not 100% sure I want this on the car but for $23 it's worth trying).
Old 05-04-2016, 09:19 PM
user1029
Drifting

Received 558 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny2five
Somehow I totally missed this thread! Can I still get in on this?

Would like I set in red. Pretty please?
you waited for an allocation to get the car, now wait for the next allocation to get vinyl letters for the car
Old 05-04-2016, 09:32 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,354 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Hmmmm
Maybe a Q-tip covered with a small piece of clean fabric to act as squeegee? Trying to think of something suitable that won't tear the decal, and will fit into the groove.

Does the soapy water evaporate?

If I decide I don't like it - are they easy to remove once everything dries? (I'm not 100% sure I want this on the car but for $23 it's worth trying).
Look at my pics on page 1.

Q-tip with fabric will most likely be too large. Go look at it.
You will want to get most of the water out from under it.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:14 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
Look at my pics on page 1.

Q-tip with fabric will most likely be too large. Go look at it.
You will want to get most of the water out from under it.
Thanks
Old 05-04-2016, 11:04 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
Dan has the GT4 winglet shape in his computer so he is willing to do a graphic to apply to the face of the winglet. We talked about a decal that follows the outside shape of the winglet with the edge of the decal being somewhere between ½" to 1" shy of the edge. "3.8" will be formed by the background paint color using a void in the decal. The font will be the Porsche one used on the GT4.

The decal can be any color you want. In this case matte blacks, matte colors and CF look should be available.

Again he is only willing to do these if there is enough interest that I can give him an order for multiple decals. Subject to final design and cost how many of you would be interested?

Rich
Like the idea, I am in!
Old 05-04-2016, 11:34 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 330 Posts

While finalizing the order with Dan this morning we discussed installation of the scoop decals. There won't be a tutorial from him (or me) but this is what he told me.

1) do not apply over water/soap or alcohol/water mix. This type of 3M vinyl does not need that and is designed to allow trapped air to be removed via pressure.

2) He recommends having a heat gun handy (not blow dryer). If the decal is wrinkled or misaligned and won't move heat will return it to it's original shape and allow it to break loose be moved or repositioned. It's got to get hot though (Dan said 285 degrees - gulp)

3) Once the decal is in position press it into the recess using your finger with spit or soapy water and work it til you have it right where you want it.

I am no decal installer so I'm as much a novice as everyone else here. If someone wants to do a tutorial feel free.

Rich
Old 05-04-2016, 11:37 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

While finalizing the order with Dan this morning we discussed installation of the scoop decals. There won't be a tutorial from him (or me) but this is what he told me.

1) do not apply over water/soap or alcohol/water mix. This type of 3M vinyl does not need that and is designed to allow trapped air to be removed via pressure.

2) He recommends having a heat gun handy (not blow dryer). If the decal is wrinkled or misaligned and won't move heat will return it to it's original shape and allow it to break loose be moved or repositioned. It's got to get hot though (Dan said 285 degrees - gulp)

3) Once the decal is in position press it into the recess using your finger with spit or soapy water and work it til you have it right where you want it.

I am no decal installer so I'm as much a novice as everyone else here. If someone wants to do a tutorial feel free.

Rich

285 degrees heat gun into that plastic air scoop surface??? hmmmm
Old 05-04-2016, 11:40 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
KI Studious already makes this winglet. I have a set in Satin Black that will be put on when car arrives. It is perfect.
As you and I discussed I'm interested in the KI offering but the guy has not responded to emails or a phone call so in the mean time I'll pursue something from Dan. Maybe you could get him to put those on his website for sale or offer them here. Seems like there is plenty of interest.

Rich
Old 05-04-2016, 11:43 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
285 degrees heat gun into that plastic air scoop surface??? hmmmm
Yep that's what I said! Just hot enough for the decal to reform is probably the best idea. I've always used alcohol/water when I install decals, gives you a chance to move them around a little but Dan said don't do it.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:47 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,452 Likes on 756 Posts

As you and I discussed I'm interested in the KI offering but the guy has not responded to emails or a phone call so in the mean time I'll pursue something from Dan. Maybe you could get him to put those on his website for sale or offer them here. Seems like there is plenty of interest.

Rich
I will call him and make him aware.

I do not advertise for them but have been very happy with the finished product. I hate recommending some one and nobody can get any answers. Makes me look like an **** but many on the GT3 forum have used their products
Old 05-05-2016, 02:30 AM
Charliekay
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

In for the next group buy. Definitely want these - I am in Australia though, so needs to be posted here. Thank you.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:56 AM
wilo968
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan has the GT4 winglet shape in his computer so he is willing to do a graphic to apply to the face of the winglet. We talked about a decal that follows the outside shape of the winglet with the edge of the decal being somewhere between ½" to 1" shy of the edge. "3.8" will be formed by the background paint color using a void in the decal. The font will be the Porsche one used on the GT4.

The decal can be any color you want. In this case matte blacks, matte colors and CF look should be available.

Again he is only willing to do these if there is enough interest that I can give him an order for multiple decals. Subject to final design and cost how many of you would be interested?

Rich
I'm in if the order goes through.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:12 PM
Joemat
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wilo968
I'm in if the order goes through.

Same for me on the 3.8 winglet decal.

Quick Reply: Graphics