Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 212 Posts

Thanks!!
Old 05-24-2016, 04:44 PM
rraustin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Allong with a lot of other useful information, a break-in procedure is contained in the Wisdom tab GT4 Registry database found here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1355274686
This is rough approximation of the break in
suggested by Andreas Preuninger for GT cars
specifically. And Really GT engines in particular
which the GT4 does not have. But this is still seems like
a pretty good practice to follow. Your mileage, quite
literally, may vary.

Break-in:
0 to 300 miles 5,000 rpm max
to 500 miles 5,500 rpm max
to 700 miles 6,000 rpm max
to 900 miles 6,500 rpm max
to 1,100 miles 7,000 rpm max
to 1,300 miles 7,500 rpm max

Post break-in:
Change oil
Alignment
Old 05-24-2016, 04:49 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,459 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by rraustin
Allong with a lot of other useful information, a break-in procedure is contained in the Wisdom tab GT4 Registry database found here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1355274686
This is rough approximation of the break in
suggested by Andreas Preuninger for GT cars
specifically. And Really GT engines in particular
which the GT4 does not have. But this is still seems like
a pretty good practice to follow. Your mileage, quite
literally, may vary.

Break-in:
0 to 300 miles 5,000 rpm max
to 500 miles 5,500 rpm max
to 700 miles 6,000 rpm max
to 900 miles 6,500 rpm max
to 1,100 miles 7,000 rpm max
to 1,300 miles 7,500 rpm max

Post break-in:
Change oil
Alignment
I am going to follow this. I am at 300 and have been just going to 5000. Once in a while I squeeze a little burst to 6000. I am going to move my normal driving to 5500 now

Thanks
Old 05-24-2016, 04:52 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,459 Likes on 762 Posts

Scottykenneth- Congrats and enjoy. It is nice when she is finally in your garage and you can grab a beer/scotch and just admire her beauty.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:54 PM
Jaycycles10
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scottykenneth
Thanks!!

Congrats. Your build is identical to mine with the only exception being mine is Cararra White Metallic. Well that and the fact that mine is still in production and not expected to arrive until mid-July.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:06 PM
GT4VR
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I am going to follow this. I am at 300 and have been just going to 5000. Once in a while I squeeze a little burst to 6000. I am going to move my normal driving to 5500 now

Thanks
The dealer here said that he had visited the GT division in Germany and they had told him on the DL that they ran in all engines for GT cars 2000km before delivering them to customers. So even that initial oil change wasnt necessary since they had already done it. They wouldnt announce it officially because their customers in Dubai and some places like that wanted brand new engines and didnt want any miles on them when buying a new car.

Sounds a little suspect since I havent heard that anywhere here. Plus I believe Ferrari runs their engines in and theres no shortage of Ferraris in Dubai. And I know this is very much a my bosss cleaning ladys cousin knows a guy who is a gardner at the Porsche factory and he... etc
Old 05-24-2016, 06:13 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4VR
The dealer here said that he had visited the GT division in Germany and they had told him on the DL that they ran in all engines for GT cars 2000km before delivering them to customers. So even that initial oil change wasnt necessary since they had already done it. They wouldnt announce it officially because their customers in Dubai and some places like that wanted brand new engines and didnt want any miles on them when buying a new car. Sounds a little suspect since I havent heard that anywhere here. Plus I believe Ferrari runs their engines in and theres no shortage of Ferraris in Dubai. And I know this is very much a my bosss cleaning ladys cousin knows a guy who is a gardner at the Porsche factory and he... etc
I'm sorry,don't get this the wrong way since you're only stating what you've been told...but it's a bunch of horses**t,pardon my French...
They do indeed,every once in a while,pull engines off the line and run them cold,to test their power ratings,but that's about it.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:22 AM
GT4VR
Instructor

Originally Posted by neanicu
I'm sorry,don't get this the wrong way since you're only stating what you've been told...but it's a bunch of horses**t,pardon my French...
They do indeed,every once in a while,pull engines off the line and run them cold,to test their power ratings,but that's about it.
Not at all. I think you're right... Although, it is weird how much confused information there's out there regarding running in engines and oil change.

Part of the issue is that a lot of the guys that are really knowledgeable gained their knowledge 10+ years ago and technology moves forward, so what they correctly believed to be true at one point is no longer necessarily true.

It's human nature to hold very hard on to the truths one has been convinced of, whether it be in religion, politics, or engineering. And much like the former two topics, when someone states "well I heard X during my factory tour" and it jives with what someone already believes, they stand up strong in support of that claim even if they would have dismissed the statement from the very same source had it not matched their existing beliefs.

Hey OP, congrats with the new car! Looking forward to some comparisons to the RS5 once you've put the required 20,000 miles on the GT4
Old 05-25-2016, 08:12 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4VR
Not at all. I think you're right... Although, it is weird how much confused information there's out there regarding running in engines and oil change. Part of the issue is that a lot of the guys that are really knowledgeable gained their knowledge 10+ years ago and technology moves forward, so what they correctly believed to be true at one point is no longer necessarily true. It's human nature to hold very hard on to the truths one has been convinced of, whether it be in religion, politics, or engineering. And much like the former two topics, when someone states "well I heard X during my factory tour" and it jives with what someone already believes, they stand up strong in support of that claim even if they would have dismissed the statement from the very same source had it not matched their existing beliefs.
In my case it is not a personal belief that I'm stuck with... Porsche(and other manufacturers as well) is using " just in time " assembly process,which means parts don't just sit in the factory waiting to be used. These engines are built on the regular assembly line,along all of the other used in different Porsche models. It would simply be impossible for Porsche to run these engines 2000 km before ending up in customer hands!
Old 05-25-2016, 11:02 AM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Man 2000 miles?! Had the RS for almost two yrs and put 2400 miles on her lol
Old 05-25-2016, 11:37 AM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm actually looking at a rs5 as a daily I can put my kids in the back. I really like the look of the rs5. Also looking at a c63 507 sedan or black series c63 coupe
Old 05-25-2016, 11:46 AM
evil panda
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottykenneth
Man 2000 miles?! Had the RS for almost two yrs and put 2400 miles on her lol
I have a feeling that you won't have this problem with the GT4. I haven't been able to go more than two days without taking her on a spirited drive with no particular destination.

I don't know how the collectors/flippers keep the miles low on the car. they must have the impulse control of ninjas.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:17 PM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jvmax
I'm actually looking at a rs5 as a daily I can put my kids in the back. I really like the look of the rs5. Also looking at a c63 507 sedan or black series c63 coupe
If you want a really nice RS5 should contact John Mase @ Porsche Delaware. Its my old one. 2700 miles and perfect. Basically brand new. They are selling at a great price!
Old 05-25-2016, 03:09 PM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

1 hour and counting lol
Old 05-25-2016, 04:01 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by jvmax
Loved my RS5, DD'd it for about 18 months, but sold it when I found myself wanting to drive my Cayman S to work more. The RS5 is a great grand touring coupe. A German Camaro SS, if the Germans were to build a nicer, more refined Camaro SS. Usable back seat, huge trunk and that motor, oh that motor.

The few negatives I found all related to DD though. First, not much torque down low. Not a big problem, because the motor revs so fast...but, that leads to the second issue. If you drop it into Sport mode to increase the responsiveness, it's just a bit too harsh for daily driving, especially on down shift. The hard down shifts and throttle blip are cool at first, but it gets old quick. The car really needs normal mode to be somewhere between the current settings for normal and sport, but I guess they wanted to keep mileage in a range that avoided the gas guzzler tax. So you're left with manual mode, which is okay if you use the paddle shifters, but kinda sucks with the shifter, as for some odd reason Audi has it lean away from you in manual mode so the feeling in the cockpit is just odd. As a reasonably tall guy (6'2"), I also found that I couldn't get the seat low enough for my liking. The seat, wheel angle, shifter relationship was just very odd, whereas my Cayman feels like perfection.

Other than that, and the fact that the mileage is just awful if you drive the car hard, it's a great car. Fast, fun, pretty comfortable and tons of space. The trunk is massive.

Quick Reply: New here! Audi RS5 to 2016 GT4