Charging the car battery via Lighter

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 01:49 PM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bk_911
Good thread.

If I drive my car once a week so I need to worry about charging it with one of these chargers?
User Manual says if car is not used, charge it every 6 weeks.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:27 AM
mcdavis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a CTEK 7002 (8 stage) and a quick connect kit on the battery...I think it is 7A max.

Amazon.com: CTEK (56-353) MULTI US 7002 12-Volt Battery Charger: Automotive Amazon.com: CTEK (56-353) MULTI US 7002 12-Volt Battery Charger: Automotive

-mark
Old 05-02-2016, 05:49 PM
kilodawg
Racer

Wondering if there is any update on this? I went out and bought a Porsche factory charger and ran in to the same issue (Jan. build). It seems that when hooking up with ignition off they shut down after 5 minutes or so and a bit longer around 20 I think if the ignition was turned on first.

Just need to know if there is a workaround or if I need to take the charger back. I already have another I can use if I need to go thru the frunk. My dealer hadn't heard of this issue before.

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2016, 05:53 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,460 Likes on 763 Posts

Why not use the socket in the Passenger footwell - I thought that does no shut off
Old 05-02-2016, 06:04 PM
kilodawg
Racer

Because in my case as well as the others they ALL shut off..
Old 05-02-2016, 06:15 PM
The Pope
Holy Guru
Rennlist
Registered Pontiff

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 05-02-2016, 07:27 PM
kilodawg
Racer

Yes I have the owners manual and I have read this page. Not sure of the point of posting it here. This page is for devices that draw power from the battery. If you read earlier in this thread it appears that GT4's built last year allow for charging thru any of the 12 VDC port but cars built at some point after that no longer appear to have that capability.

FelisMalicious had inquired thru his dealer for more info...
Old 05-02-2016, 08:02 PM
The Pope
Holy Guru
Rennlist
Registered Pontiff

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kilodawg
Not sure of the point of posting it here.
The point of posting it here was because it appears many people are either not reading the manual or missing some of the subjects. On my 2015 GTS, every port is operational and they all allow charging. Good luck getting yours to work.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:55 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,460 Likes on 763 Posts

They should all work. My 2014 GT3 they all worked with car shut off. .

Maybe they made some changes but do not understand why?
Old 05-17-2016, 09:20 PM
CHV
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GT4 Jan 2016 Build.

I cannot charge via any of my 12V Sockets either. Works/Charges for 5'ish min then they shut off. Tried the key in ignition and then plug in charger trick as mentioned above but doesnt work either.

Bummer cuz looks like older GT4's work fine. I charged my 09 911S w/ this same charger but looks like I will be in search of another option.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:47 PM
rnlGT4
Intermediate

My build date was 2/2016. No luck charging battery with any of the 12V outlets --same thing...car will shut down charging after about 5 minutes. Purchased a battery charger from [B]Granite Digital[B]...www.saveabattery.com. Nice unit with multiple capabilities. Several different ways to attach charger to the car. Below is how hooked this unit up to my GT4:

1. Removed front left wheel( chose this side due to proximity to the electrical outlet). Remove 2 screws at the 12 o'clock position of the inner fender liner to create a gap for the charger connector.

2. Remove cover in frunk covering battery. Attach positive/negative leads directly to battery. Run cord along bulkhead toward and underneath the brake master cylinder and the wiper motor on the drivers side. If you now create a gap in the inner fender liner, you will be able to pull the connector through into the wheel well.

3. Attach charger to connector underneath wheel well. You may have to pull wire connector back a bit when finished charging so connector does not touch your front tire while in motion. Easy to do from frunk side.

4. Put your cover back on and enjoy a cold one!
Old 06-04-2016, 01:50 PM
cbrett
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by rnlGT4
My build date was 2/2016. No luck charging battery with any of the 12V outlets --same thing...car will shut down charging after about 5 minutes. Purchased a battery charger from [B]Granite Digital[B]...www.saveabattery.com. Nice unit with multiple capabilities. Several different ways to attach charger to the car. Below is how hooked this unit up to my GT4:

1. Removed front left wheel( chose this side due to proximity to the electrical outlet). Remove 2 screws at the 12 o'clock position of the inner fender liner to create a gap for the charger connector.

2. Remove cover in frunk covering battery. Attach positive/negative leads directly to battery. Run cord along bulkhead toward and underneath the brake master cylinder and the wiper motor on the drivers side. If you now create a gap in the inner fender liner, you will be able to pull the connector through into the wheel well.

3. Attach charger to connector underneath wheel well. You may have to pull wire connector back a bit when finished charging so connector does not touch your front tire while in motion. Easy to do from frunk side.

4. Put your cover back on and enjoy a cold one!

thanks for the write up! i ordered one this morning. also, where did you get your cover? what i can see of your garage setup looks great!
Old 06-08-2016, 05:19 AM
doborder
Rennlist Member

March 2016 build
No luck with ctek 4.3 in all outlets...
Will try with old ctek 3.3... Very irritating
Old 06-08-2016, 07:51 AM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kilodawg
Wondering if there is any update on this? I went out and bought a Porsche factory charger and ran in to the same issue (Jan. build). It seems that when hooking up with ignition off they shut down after 5 minutes or so and a bit longer around 20 I think if the ignition was turned on first.

Just need to know if there is a workaround or if I need to take the charger back. I already have another I can use if I need to go thru the frunk. My dealer hadn't heard of this issue before.

Thanks!
Sorry missed the post here.
I talked to the dealer and he told me that they already sent an inquiry to Porsche as one of the Spyder owners had the same issue with the Porsche Charge-o-mat II, which is the same thing as the CTEK 5A I am using. Porsche said the CTEK charger doesnt create enough resistance to activate the electrical system. I think they changed it due to some requirement or issue. They dont want to tell it or they dont remember why it was changed.

I solved it differently, but very similarly to what rnlGT4 has done. I plugged it to the battery poles and the chassis. But kept it in the frunk as it is very easy to open and close. I didnt want something loose close to the tyres as it might get destroyed with stones or have some water later in the frunk. And you can plug te cable and close the frunk without any issues. Car can stay locked.

I will post pictures later in the weekend.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:08 PM
anselmw
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Rac10000
I have one of these from a previous BMW M3 ... will it do the trick?

I am using this one and the battery tender version and both seem to work in my October 15 build gt4. Have used in cigarettes outlet and passenger footwell.

Quick Reply: Charging the car battery via Lighter