Matt Farah reviews CJ Wilson's personal GT4

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 01:00 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,959 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishAndy
Makes me want to start slowly decontenting my car. Actually, no: the gear whine would drive me crazy.
Gear whine would likely be different with a stripped GT4 street car, due to the manual gearbox (but still louder than stock).
Old 02-17-2016, 01:05 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Gear whine would likely be different with a stripped GT4 street car, due to the manual gearbox (but still louder than stock).
Good point. I just remember being in a client's GT-R, and thinking how amazingly fast it was, and then thinking how annoying the gear whine was. And then wanting to get out while the car was still moving.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:40 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,959 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishAndy
Good point. I just remember being in a client's GT-R, and thinking how amazingly fast it was, and then thinking how annoying the gear whine was. And then wanting to get out while the car was still moving.
Unike a 911 or a GT-R, the gearbox is further away from driver (at the very rear). Maybe that would help?
Old 02-17-2016, 02:31 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I would hope so. At least the noise has to fight its way past the engine.

I'm weirdly susceptible to being annoyed by odd sounds in cars.

I just picked up an E Class a few weeks ago and even though it's very quiet it has this mild but distinct 'ticking clock' sound off throttle that really bugs me, simply because I don't know what it is. Not as bad as the new 4 cylinder C Class though... That car has more unpleasant and unnatural mechanical noises than any car I've ever driven. Like somebody left a bag of wrenches, two go-kart engines, a grandfather clock, and a Ziploc full of sea shells under the hood for safe keeping.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:21 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 191 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Knolow
What's the title so I can read more on this? Thanks.
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...the-coach.html

use the "search this thread" drop down and search for "shuffle".

I think generally the kind of shuffle steering that people most criticize is when the driver refuses to ever cross their arms.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:32 PM
GT4_Driver
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 02-17-2016, 04:33 PM
GT4_Driver
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 02-17-2016, 10:19 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

If I'm shuffling we're trying not to spin.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:00 PM
Knolow
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DuckieRS
Awesome thanks for posting, first full GT4 Clubsport review I've seen.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:20 PM
Knolow
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...the-coach.html

use the "search this thread" drop down and search for "shuffle".

I think generally the kind of shuffle steering that people most criticize is when the driver refuses to ever cross their arms.
Thanks a lot.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:51 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4VR
Nice! First video was better due to poor audio and too much focus vs talking in the second video.

Fun to see though and you can feel how exciting it is to drive. All his comments seem to be a testament to a really well sorted chassis + adjustments made so it errs towards oversteer instead of understeer like in the street version.

1:25 lap time is pretty good for a car like that with a normal driver. Wonder what a pro would do.
Well there it is. He was literally grinning ear to ear when he got out of that thing and couldn't stop raving about it. ALL of us want one of these clubsports - and if it was generally available w/o the series commitment I'd have one in the garage right now.

Did you time at 1:25, I wasn't watching... and he wasn't timing.

A pro really hustling on that track in that car would be sub 1:20, in the mid-high teens in that car. When we run that track cars that are not as "fast" as that and not "race cars" can get in the mid 1:20s running that configuration.

Originally Posted by vantage
As a side note,CJ is becoming a great ambassador for the brand. Someone give him a Porsche franchise. 😁
Yes please!!!! He'd need no sales staff, just cater to rennlist.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:20 AM
O5C4R
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Matt Farah's one takes are the best thing he's ever done they are awesome he drives so many unique cars

break in period in Australia and europe i have heard is non existent
Old 02-18-2016, 07:15 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by No Heel No Toe
break in period in Australia and europe i have heard is non existent
Not true for Australia a least - posted he break in procedure for Aust some time back.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:31 PM
GT4VR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would be nice to have a more scientific source/data for the break-in stuff. Clearly some people (like Wilson) have a much lower threshold for when they consider it ready to drive hard and I'm sure some go all out as they drive away from the dealer. If you're not planning on owning it for more than 20k miles it probably doesn't make a difference... but it would be nice to know what the actual effects are (loss of horsepower? engine rebuild? etc) and at what stage (30k, 60k, 90k, 120k miles?) if:

- 2,000 mile break in as I've seen on this forum published officially by Porsche
- 1,200 mile break in as recommended by AP
- 500 mile break in as I seem to remember from 25 years ago
- 100 miles
- 0 miles

I had an Ariel Atom and their recommendation (in the manual!) was to drive it like I stole it from the beginning, that somehow that set the pistons the best for longevity and power - but they also conceded that different people have different philosophies. Just curious if there are studies done on modern engines or if it's all old wives' tales.

(yes, just called y'all a bunch of old wives)
Old 02-18-2016, 05:41 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 356 Likes on 215 Posts

Have you ever installed a lower control arm bushing and they tell you to tighten it while the car is on the ground,on its own weight to settle?
Have you ever installed new brake pads and rotors and they told you they need bedding?
Have you ever installed a new strut without priming it on the ground first?
Have you ever heard of dry start in brand new engines because a permanent film of oil has not been created?

Etc

Etc

If you did,you know the answers to your questions.

Break in refers to the entire car,not just the engine.
People that take the car straight to the track from the dealer are either clueless or don't care,because they won't keep the car long enough to experience the effects of their foolishness.

Quick Reply: Matt Farah reviews CJ Wilson's personal GT4