Sponsored by: APR

Matt Farah reviews CJ Wilson's personal GT4

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 08:34 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
.... he's able to appreciate the pros/cons of each without letting his personal preferences mask the review. In prior track videos, he admits he's not the best driver, but I think the cars are driven sufficiently hard to give the average buyer a good sense.
This is why I like so many of his videos. Truth be told, he's not Chris Harris. And that's fine. Neither am I. He's an enthusiast, he's pretty down to earth and he's pretty fair. I've seen him call bullsh*t on crap and I've seen him praise stuff you wouldn't necessarily think a guy who drives a modified Fox body Mustang and Corvette would.

Plus, I believe he's still rocking that "million mile" Lexus LS... My old LS that I gave to my pops is still going strong at nearly 250,000 miles and I think that's pretty damned cool.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:01 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Matt is definitely a decent driver. But he's not a racer. He's not doing these to get a hot lap time, but to get a feel for the car and offer a perspective. I witnessed some serious car control skills that should make it to video soon... will save that surprise, and the clubsport..... will let the video reveal that. Great crew, Matt, CJ, his race team, the camera/video guys.... all very gracious and a fun bunch of car nuts having fun. Lots and lots of smiles and laughs last week.

(Full disclosure: I was there that day w/ my 964! Thanks C.J.!!!!)
Old 02-16-2016, 09:19 PM
provoste
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Interesting that they are tracking the car at 700 miles on the odometer - no break-in for that GT4

I saw a number of GT4's on track last season... Most with Temp tags! Guessing not many GT4 CS's saw many break-in miles...

Yeah, I'm sure Matt is prolly a great guy, but he's not my style of journalist... And he seems to be a bit of hack behind the wheel. While Chris Harris seems to be everyone's reference for a bit of a "wheel man" journalist, and I agree, I love CH. Other journalists I trust re: sports car feedback: Pete Stout, Jethro Bovingdon, Jack Baruth, Henry Catchpole, Sam Smith, Dickie Meaden, Larry Webster. All those guys can drive.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:36 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,471 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Originally Posted by provoste
I saw a number of GT4's on track last season... Most with Temp tags! Guessing not many GT4 CS's saw many break-in miles...

Yeah, I'm sure Matt is prolly a great guy, but he's not my style of journalist... And he seems to be a bit of hack behind the wheel. While Chris Harris seems to be everyone's reference for a bit of a "wheel man" journalist, and I agree, I love CH. Other journalists I trust re: sports car feedback: Pete Stout, Jethro Bovingdon, Jack Baruth, Henry Catchpole, Sam Smith, Dickie Meaden, Larry Webster. All those guys can drive.
Good list - I'd only add Tiff Needell and Randy Probst.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:46 PM
provoste
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Agreed. Randy is a obviously a racer first... Love Marino Franchitti too also from the full time racer, part time journalist camp.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:04 PM
Knolow
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Matt from DRIVE TV, "the smoking tire", etc. has an ongoing series where he drives "regular" guys/gals cars... usually on Angeles Crest or other public highways like that. Some of them are pretty entertaining.

In this just released video he drives CJ Wilson (Go Angels!) personal GT4 at the Streets of Willow. Great little video and I'm stoked to see that he's going to do another clip on the Cayman Clubsport.

Enjoy!

Porsche Cayman GT4 - (Track) One Take - YouTube
Thanks for posting took in a lot good and bad. I agree with a lot of the comments he doesn't seem to be a "great/amazing" driver. With that said he does drive the car on a track and so that entitles him to an opinion. I'd be very interested in the continuation video of him driving the GT4 club sport, if you find it and post it... , much appreciated.

Originally Posted by Mvez
I'm constantly amazed by the amount of shuffle-steering in "track" review videos....
I totally agree. Even the seabring/ Daytona GT4 club sport videos have a lot of shuffle steering. I'm noticing it's very dramatic mid corner, could it be drivers overdriving the cars midengine dynamics and having to correct it as opposed to expecting it and being smoother.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:05 PM
Knolow
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
Matt drove one of my cars, he's a nice guy. Definitely "gets it" when it comes to cars.

In the competition forum, there has been lots of debate on this. I personally try to keep my hands at 9 and 3 unless absolutely required to input more lock.
What's the title so I can read more on this? Thanks.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:38 AM
DuckieRS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clubsport:
Old 02-17-2016, 10:03 AM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

^^^^Thank you. First review of the Clubsport I've seen.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:12 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep - Tiff is a really good addition to that already great list.

I never really liked Farrah's stuff (he's more into modded and tuned cars and really high hp machines which is not so much my thing). I almost completely stopped watching the Drive channel when Chris Harris split the team, because it was Chris' videos I was really going there for.

I have to say, though, while he's maybe not the last word in driving skill, that probably makes him more like the average car guy that constitutes his typical audience. Also, I like the fact that he's not some sort of slick made-for-TV type.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:16 AM
GT4VR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! First video was better due to poor audio and too much focus vs talking in the second video.

Fun to see though and you can feel how exciting it is to drive. All his comments seem to be a testament to a really well sorted chassis + adjustments made so it errs towards oversteer instead of understeer like in the street version.

1:25 lap time is pretty good for a car like that with a normal driver. Wonder what a pro would do.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:29 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Makes me want to start slowly decontenting my car. Actually, no: the gear whine would drive me crazy.

I just wish they'd fixed the audio to give a better representation of what this thing really sounds like. The mics were clearly overwhelmed.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:39 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Good to see them back to back.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:11 AM
DrPhil Gandini
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I got to drive a 996 GT3 Cup car last year, and it sounded very similar to that video 2. I'm not surprised the audio was hard to record--the sound was pretty raw with absolutely no interior other than a thin CF seat and a 200lb human to absorb noise.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:21 AM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 191 Likes on 114 Posts

As a side note,CJ is becoming a great ambassador for the brand. Someone give him a Porsche franchise. 😁

Quick Reply: Matt Farah reviews CJ Wilson's personal GT4