Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

A huge delay led to an amazing outcome... PTS, LWBs, & planning a summer ED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016 | 01:27 PM
Love2Apex
Instructor

Default A huge delay led to an amazing outcome... PTS, LWBs, & planning a summer ED!!!

Hey everyone... Ok, so I have been on the list since Jan 2015, with an allocation confirmed in July, then PTS confirmed shortly after! Well, since then a lot has occurred, LWBs went on back order a few times, we were waiting on ED option, and it was confirmed as well although my build got delayed so it would be in the middle of the winter. I went ahead and cancelled ED as that would not be worthwhile or enjoyable to take delivery in the winter months. We also have baby #2 due in March, so that would be challenging as my wife would really enjoy the trip although not so much when about ready to pop. Well, since then, due to PTS & potentially the LWB issues, the build was delayed many months. My SA is very close with the individuals at Porsche exclusive and he was persistent to have the car built exactly as we have requested. So, we now have a confirmed May 2016 build date AND requested ED again since it will be great driving weather, thankfully it was approved! Only catch, we will have a 2 month old and travelling with a 3 yr old & new born is not going to be enjoyable... My wife said, just go, do it, when else are you going to, Ok sure, taking her advice on that and taking my dad or a good friend along!! Some people may have gone crazy with the wait, although I'm really in no rush, simply wanted the right car and enjoying the R8 in the meantime!

Meanwhile this past weekend at Daytona Intl Raceway for the ROAR before the 24, I came across a buddy of mine Charles Espenlaub. Charles competes in many different domestic PRO classes along with having competed abroad numerous times. He was heading out for Dubai this week, although we started talking about the GT4 and he mentioned, "I think the 24 hours of Nürburgring is at the end of May, you should come out if it is". We looked it up, and it sure is, the last weekend of May. And guess what?!? He's driving a GT4 Clubsport!! So, needless to say, ED is coming to fruition and my plan is to get there the week before the 24hr, tour Stuttgart, Munich, some other tbd areas, run the ring and then experience the 24 hours Nürburgring!! Planning of ED has officially begun... looks like Stuttgart will be the ED location & we'll take it from there. One issue, I really want to get 3M paint protection installed before we start driving around. Has anyone done this with ED? Any input or advice for planning the trip is appreciated!

Old 01-11-2016 | 01:32 PM
Window Cleaner
Advanced

What is PTS ? I keep hearing a lot about this, for the life of me I cannot work it out ?
Old 01-11-2016 | 01:35 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mtechnik
Hey everyone... Ok, so I have been on the list since Jan 2015, with an allocation confirmed in July, then PTS confirmed shortly after! Well, since then a lot has occurred, LWBs went on back order a few times, we were waiting on ED option, and it was confirmed as well although my build got delayed so it would be in the middle of the winter. I went ahead and cancelled ED as that would not be worthwhile or enjoyable to take delivery in the winter months. We also have baby #2 due in March, so that would be challenging as my wife would really enjoy the trip although not so much when about ready to pop. Well, since then, due to PTS & potentially the LWB issues, the build was delayed many months. My SA is very close with the individuals at Porsche exclusive and he was persistent to have the car built exactly as we have requested. So, we now have a confirmed May 2016 build date AND requested ED again since it will be great driving weather, thankfully it was approved! Only catch, we will have a 2 month old and travelling with a 3 yr old & new born is not going to be enjoyable... My wife said, just go, do it, when else are you going to, Ok sure, taking her advice on that and taking my dad or a good friend along!! Some people may have gone crazy with the wait, although I'm really in no rush, simply wanted the right car and enjoying the R8 in the meantime!

Meanwhile this past weekend at Daytona Intl Raceway for the ROAR before the 24, I came across a buddy of mine Charles Espenlaub. Charles competes in many different domestic PRO classes along with having competed abroad numerous times. He was heading out for Dubai this week, although we started talking about the GT4 and he mentioned, "I think the 24 hours of Nürburgring is at the end of May, you should come out if it is". We looked it up, and it sure is, the last weekend of May. And guess what?!? He's driving a GT4 Clubsport!! So, needless to say, ED is coming to fruition and my plan is to get there the week before the 24hr, tour Stuttgart, Munich, some other tbd areas, run the ring and then experience the 24 hours Nürburgring!! Planning of ED has officially begun... looks like Stuttgart will be the ED location & we'll take it from there. One issue, I really want to get 3M paint protection installed before we start driving around. Has anyone done this with ED? Any input or advice for planning the trip is appreciated!

Sounds like we're all going to have a good time in May following your adventures! Congrats on having all the pieces falling into place!

Originally Posted by Window Cleaner
What is PTS ? I keep hearing a lot about this, for the life of me I cannot work it out ?
Paint to Sample custom (well, from a list) color.
Old 01-11-2016 | 01:41 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Has anyone done this with ED? Any input or advice for planning the trip is appreciated!
Hello Mtechnik,

Contrats on the new car and new babies!

My opinion is that the streets and highways in Germany are so clean that a wrap may not be necessary. I did install a temp wrap on my GT4 for Euro Delivery - I bought some less expensive film, pre cut, and did my best to install it only on the front and partial hood without too many wrinkles. Cost for the film was about $300. Time: about 2 hours and entire spray bottle of soapy water.

Send me a PM if you'd like any other suggestions for your ED. I would be glad to help.
Old 01-11-2016 | 01:43 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Window Cleaner
Originally Posted by PistolPete
Paint to Sample custom (well, from a list) color.
Technically you can ask for any paint color you want either by specifying a paint color from another specific make, model, and year of car or even by sending a sufficiently large sheet of metal painted in your desired paint to Porsche, but there's no guarantee it will be approved, and in the particular case of the GT4, there was no way that a feasibility study would be completed in time for the PTS window. But if you're ordering something like a regular 911, you wouldn't have to stick to the list.

Window Cleaner, you may also come across less frequent references to "LTS", which is Leather to Sample. Some models allow you to specify custom interior colors as well, though I believe that's much more expensive. And then there are "Z options", which are fully custom special requests like custom wheel finishes, leather-covered options from other Porsches not normally available on the model you're ordering, custom interior treatment (e.g. a 2-tone color pairing or pattern not normally done), custom gauge colors, air freight delivery, etc. Those aren't published anywhere as far as I know; you just have to ask for them and see if your dealer and Porsche Exclusive will play ball. Eduardo (nickname Z356 here) is the resident authority on and something of a historian of Porsche Exclusive. He's written numerous lengthy and informative posts in lots of threads on Rennlist on these subjects, so if you ever go down this road yourself, you will find him an encyclopedia of information.
Old 01-11-2016 | 02:06 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Very awesome, I love it when a plan comes together!

Subscribed
Old 01-11-2016 | 04:20 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

So to confirm, you got PTS approved?
Old 01-11-2016 | 04:48 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
So to confirm, you got PTS approved?
On a build originally scheduled for July of last year, it looks that way. I'm surprised Porsche would have approved PTS on a build that early in the year given that the PTS run didn't actually occur until the end of the year. I swapped slots with a PTS hopeful customer who had a September build that wasn't PTS-eligible because my original November build was PTS-eligible and I didn't intend to order PTS, and for me the swap meant I didn't have to wait as long for the car or pick it up while there might be snow on the ground. As it turned out, I also narrowly missed the LWB stop sale, and I haven't heard from the person I swapped with whether he was able to get the LWBs he also wanted using the slot that was originally mine.

Anyhow, I wouldn't assume that just because THIS build will be PTS and occur in May 2015 that others with builds at a similar time will also be able to get approved.
Old 01-11-2016 | 05:03 PM
Love2Apex
Instructor

Yes, PTS confirmed. That was the first "lock" that occurred as we couldn't make any changes to the build regarding paint options or color after that date. I just looked back and PTS was confirmed mid August, then the PTS window closed. It's been a roller coaster, that's for sure, although they're sticking to it!
Old 01-11-2016 | 05:52 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Yes, PTS confirmed. That was the first "lock" that occurred as we couldn't make any changes to the build regarding paint options or color after that date. I just looked back and PTS was confirmed mid August, then the PTS window closed. It's been a roller coaster, that's for sure, although they're sticking to it!
That's great to hear, congrats. Can you share the color that you're going with?
Old 01-11-2016 | 06:48 PM
Love2Apex
Instructor

Nothing other than... Riviera Blue

I'm trying to include 2 weekends, thus picking the car up on a Friday, and staying through the following Sunday.

Just received an updated confirmation that the expected completion date is Friday May 20th! That was the day I was expecting to do ED, might have to do the following week and the 24 hour starts on the 26th. Decisions decisions.... oah the planning begins!
Old 01-11-2016 | 06:55 PM
TONY AIR C2S
Burning Brakes

Nothing other than... Riviera Blue

I'm trying to include 2 weekends, thus picking the car up on a Friday, and staying through the following Sunday.

Just received an updated confirmation that the expected completion date is Friday May 20th! That was the day I was expecting to do ED, might have to do the following week and the 24 hour starts on the 26th. Decisions decisions.... oah the planning begins!
Congrats. I was hoping to get PTS. Glad to see someone will.
Old 01-11-2016 | 08:46 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Wow congrats! You are going to have a blast at the 24hr of Nurburgring. Hopefully your friend can get you pit lane access. I was able to get it last year and it's an experience I will never forget.
Old 01-11-2016 | 11:12 PM
ak432
Rennlist Member

Congrats on so many levels. Your SA definitely deserves some credit for sticking with the plan and going to bat for you. Many out there would take the path of least resistance. Look forward to seeing pictures from ED when you pick up the car. I'm trying to talk my wife into agreeing to have another baby (we have a four year old)…I think she would only go for it if there was a baby to sample option!!!
Old 01-11-2016 | 11:25 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

OP - congrats on the upcoming baby and new RB GT4!

Originally Posted by jphughan
On a build originally scheduled for July of last year, it looks that way. I'm surprised Porsche would have approved PTS on a build that early in the year given that the PTS run didn't actually occur until the end of the year. I swapped slots with a PTS hopeful customer who had a September build that wasn't PTS-eligible because my original November build was PTS-eligible and I didn't intend to order PTS, and for me the swap meant I didn't have to wait as long for the car or pick it up while there might be snow on the ground. As it turned out, I also narrowly missed the LWB stop sale, and I haven't heard from the person I swapped with whether he was able to get the LWBs he also wanted using the slot that was originally mine.

Anyhow, I wouldn't assume that just because THIS build will be PTS and occur in May 2015 that others with builds at a similar time will also be able to get approved.
Porsche didn't approve a PTS build that early (July 2015). The original post indicates that an allocation was confirmed in July - not a production month. This lines up with the 2015 PTS order window which opened around June 24th (I would have to go back to my emails to get the exact date).

Quick Reply: A huge delay led to an amazing outcome... PTS, LWBs, & planning a summer ED!!!