Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

OT - Watches

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 06:43 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default another obsession of mine too, but beginning to cool off a bit...

I'd like to part with some as choosing which watch to wear just feels ridiculous. That being said, I'm happy with the ones I have now and that's a good place to be.

Here are a few of them:
Attached Images       
Old 01-09-2016, 06:48 PM
ccibo72
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by superchargedman
Excellent choices. I'm at 2/3 of your collection. I think iwc is in the future. Love watching Kevin spacey wear them on house of cards.
Love me some IWC. In fact a buddy (who has a 991 GT3) hosted a IWC watchmaking class with a master watchmaker.
Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2016, 07:49 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default OT - Watches

Originally Posted by bk_911
I enjoy my Casio.
Say it ain't so

I'm not a GT4 owner so maybe I don't count, but I do have a Cayman R so I'll chine in.

I have as big a watch obsession as I do a car obsession and currently own several watches, including an Omega Speedmaster Professional,, Panerai PAM 372, and IWC Ingenieur 3227.

Name:  pewjhL3h.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  119.0 KB

Name:  9zGJ8iSh.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  83.6 KB

Name:  JcdbV4hh.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  100.2 KB
Old 01-09-2016, 08:55 PM
superchargedman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by docfink
I'd like to part with some as choosing which watch to wear just feels ridiculous. That being said, I'm happy with the ones I have now and that's a good place to be.

Here are a few of them:
Uh, do you have a prosthetic eye? Interesting juxtaposition.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:29 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FrstPorsche
Watches are overrated. My phone has a clock on it. Men shouldn't show off with jewelry.
Awkward silence, everyone shuffles away quietly... :P
Old 01-09-2016, 09:44 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

What a lot of awesome watches! I particularly like those panerai's, and that tag carerra gt.

This is my first automatic watch. For those with multiple automatics, do you have multiple watch winders?
Old 01-09-2016, 09:51 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Make sure to let us all know how well it wears
Lol - will do. Ironically I opted for the leather steering wheel as I don't like how alcantara wheels wear. But alcantara on a watch band looked kind of unique, and pretty easy to change if it doesn't work out.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:22 AM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My patient's prosthesis, not mine...

Originally Posted by superchargedman
Uh, do you have a prosthetic eye? Interesting juxtaposition.
...a bad batch of contact lens solution led to a parasitic infection and vision loss--luckily for her, in one eye only. Lawsuit occurred which helped her, but one eye is gone.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:51 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,147 Likes on 691 Posts

IWC and JLC both on my list. Would love a Nautilus annual calendar, but not at $45K.
JLCs seem a particularly good value for the money. MUT 39 moon in SS under $10K.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:44 PM
Snowman.
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MrNurse
I love watches.
My Tag Heuer Monaco: the classic racing watch

I'm collecting my blue Monaco 12 this week - especially to match my SBM GT4 I also collect at the end of the week!

Am thinking of getting custom stripes on the car in white/silver/red to match the dials.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:53 AM
GT4VR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most people in the world probably think my car obsession is retarded, although I justify it with that it's an expression of human ingenuity. I'm an engineer and a business man and I love seeing how far people can push innovation. Cars are a fantastic example of this as every decade cars achieve performance numbers previously unimaginable. Yet underneath it all there's a basic human joy of controlling a tool that is more powerful than we are. Mastering that tool can be equally satisfying in a 50 year old car as in a modern super car.

But is there a similar fascination with watches? I get that their builds are incredibly intricate, but most people aren't into watches for the innovations I would assume since the standard $5k-$20k watches most guys have are essentially the same tech as 50 years ago, no? (I know there are plenty of exceptions.) Or is it more that it's a symbol of personal achievement / social status? Or do they just look nice? No judging! I have an Italian designer suit that's 10x the price of a very similar suit I bet, yet I feel cool wearing it and appreciate the quality of materials and that's enough for me.

Don't mean this in an offensive way at all. Most hobbies are kind of ridiculous and that's their whole purpose: an escape from the seriousness and purposefulness of work and taking care of family and home.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:59 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,514 Likes on 2,830 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4VR
Most people in the world probably think my car obsession is retarded, although I justify it with that it's an expression of human ingenuity. I'm an engineer and a business man and I love seeing how far people can push innovation. Cars are a fantastic example of this as every decade cars achieve performance numbers previously unimaginable. Yet underneath it all there's a basic human joy of controlling a tool that is more powerful than we are. Mastering that tool can be equally satisfying in a 50 year old car as in a modern super car.

But is there a similar fascination with watches? I get that their builds are incredibly intricate, but most people aren't into watches for the innovations I would assume since the standard $5k-$20k watches most guys have are essentially the same tech as 50 years ago, no? (I know there are plenty of exceptions.) Or is it more that it's a symbol of personal achievement / social status? Or do they just look nice? No judging! I have an Italian designer suit that's 10x the price of a very similar suit I bet, yet I feel cool wearing it and appreciate the quality of materials and that's enough for me.

Don't mean this in an offensive way at all. Most hobbies are kind of ridiculous and that's their whole purpose: an escape from the seriousness and purposefulness of work and taking care of family and home.

I think it's all of the above. Why do people buy Porsches? Performance, innovation, looks, status, craftsmanship, heritage. Same deal with watches.

If you spend some time studying the insane degree of obsessive detail that goes into finishing these things...it starts to make sense. The heirloom factor is a real part of this too - there aren't many hobbies where the object of your interest has potential durable value and timeless appeal that can be handed down for generations.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:03 AM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ml#post4719031
Old 01-11-2016, 11:14 AM
Omega12
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
I think it's all of the above. Why do people buy Porsches? Performance, innovation, looks, status, craftsmanship, heritage. Same deal with watches.

If you spend some time studying the insane degree of obsessive detail that goes into finishing these things...it starts to make sense. The heirloom factor is a real part of this too - there aren't many hobbies where the object of your interest has potential durable value and timeless appeal that can be handed down for generations.
Well said. I go back and forth on handing it down to my son
Old 01-11-2016, 12:07 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,881 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
There are not many things (built by hand with meticulous construction and finish) that you can buy at $6-8k, use everyday for the rest of your life, and hand down to your kids. That's how I look at it.
I thought about that, but my son hates the kind of watches I love, so there'd be no handing-it-down value.

Quick Reply: OT - Watches