Sponsored by: APR

OT - Watches

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 02:07 PM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Yes. I had ordered the original red one first, then they did a redesign with the smooth bezel and I ordered that one too. I tried the gold version but gold doesn't go well with my skin tone so there.

The other watch is the Master Grade Tradition Perpetual Calendar Skeleton 8 Day. (I think I got the name right haha).

There is a story to it. I met the then CEO of JLC a few years ago at Geneva, actually at the 911R unveiling. He saw my Lab 2 and we talked watches. This watch was mentioned by him and he was excited about the skeleton and I was like sure I wanted one, sight unseen. Price unknown then either lol. As it happens Vancouver was getting a JLC Boutique and he flew in the next year for the grand opening. Carrying the watch to me. But just before delivery as we were talking, he found a 'slight' flaw in the blue enamel and took it back and send another one over overnight. He extended his stay to wait for the watch. There goes $130k. They only made 200 of them and there goes 2 right there. Later they made a green enamel version but I didn't get that one.
That's a great story whoopsy, I'm loving my Lab2! It's amazingly rare to hear about a CEO that's so committed to their customers these days. Many of the CEOs that I work with don't even go to their stores let alone go the extra mile for an actual customer. Compare that to AP's CEO and I've scratched any kind of Royal Oak off my list. This one hits max cringe:

Last edited by ajw45; 02-26-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:53 PM
startroops
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw45
That's a great story whoopsy, I'm loving my Lab2! It's amazingly rare to hear about a CEO that's so committed to their customers these days. Many of the CEOs that I work with don't even go to their stores let alone go the extra mile for an actual customer. Compare that to AP's CEO and I've scratched any kind of Royal Oak off my list. This one hits max cringe:

https://youtu.be/tGvVnyjs7jM
I seriously think that it was a rebranded MK watch when I first saw it!

On a side note, I am glad to see many IWC collectors here on this forum, but I am also worried that they are going down the wrong path with their new watches. Sigh.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:06 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,538 Posts

I have a 20 year old GMT II that I bought new and love, plus a ceramic bezel Daytona that I honestly don't love, but have no desire to be a flipper.

But Rolex has pissed me off so much over the last few years with their truly absurd production limitations of literally every stainless sport watch they make that I've just resorted to buying well made, inexpensive divers....

GMT II, on my wrist for 20 years and not going anywhere...

OK, I'll admit it... I bought this one because it was hard to get and honestly don't even like it that much... I was on "the list" for a few years, and that was before it went from really freaking difficult to might as well play the lottery difficult.

When it was just the stainless Daytona that was hard to get, fine. But Rolex has seen in their infinite wisdom to make pretty much EVERY stainless sport watch a complete hassle to buy, so this Ceramic Bezel Daytona is likely the LAST new Rolex I will ever buy...

Rolex dealers don't ever have a GMT Batman in stock? How many years? Screw you Rolex, bought a Seiko STO Turtle.

Rolex dealers don't ever even have a Submariner in stock? Screw you Rolex, bought another Seiko. SRP777

Resellers are adding HOW much markup to the Baselworld 2018 Pepsi? You guessed it... FU R, meet my new Pepsi Turtle!

I'll have to dig up (or take) some pictures of my Tudor Pelagos 2-liner, Seiko tuna-sawtooth, Orange Monster and three flavors of Samurai as well. More FU Rolex purchases that I love!

Last edited by pfbz; 02-27-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:15 AM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
I have a 20 year old GMT II that I bought new and love, plus a ceramic bezel Daytona that I honestly don't love, but have no desire to be a flipper.

But Rolex has pissed me off so much over the last few years with their truly absurd production limitations of literally every stainless sport watch they make that I've just resorted to buying well made, inexpensive divers....

GMT II, on my wrist for 20 years and not going anywhere...

OK, I'll admit it... I bought this one because it was hard to get and honestly don't even like it that much... I was on "the list" for a few years, and that was before it went from really freaking difficult to might as well play the lottery difficult.

When it was just the stainless Daytona that was hard to get, fine. But Rolex has seen in their infinite wisdom to make pretty much EVERY stainless sport watch a complete hassle to buy, so this Ceramic Bezel Daytona is likely the LAST new Rolex I will ever buy...

Rolex dealers don't ever have a GMT Batman in stock? How many years? Screw you Rolex, bought a Seiko STO Turtle.

Rolex dealers don't ever have a even a Submariner in stock? Screw you Rolex, bought another Seiko. SRP777

Resellers are adding HOW much markup to the Baselworld 2018 Pepsi? You guessed it... FU R, meet my new Pepsi Turtle!

I'll have to dig up (or take) some pictures of my Tudor Pelagos 2-liner, Seiko tuna-sawtooth, Orange Monster and three flavors of Samurai as well. More FU Rolex purchases that I love!
Hahaha, yes! I'm with you, done with Rolex. Great watches and even a good value @ msrp but the buying experience sucks. No Daytona? Bought the JLC Lab2. No SD50? Sold my old Sea Dweller, almost went Seiko (or Marathon) but found a fancy Swatch instead....

Old 02-27-2019, 09:24 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 120 Posts

Drool... love that lume shot
Old 02-27-2019, 01:02 PM
lukaszdw
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GMT II is a beautiful timepiece! Well kept.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:54 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

I bought my GMT new in 2014 and the nonsense with a Rolex Sport model really annoys me. Glad I got mine when I did and honestly not sure I'll get another one. Despite wanting the new Pepsi Jubilee. I do appreciate that buying from an AD means MSRP, but they remain almost impossible to get.

I did just pick up a new Oris today. Ordered it earlier in February shortly after they announced it. 111 of 500, so cool number. I really like their stuff and the price point is excellent by comparison.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:41 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Yes. I had ordered the original red one first, then they did a redesign with the smooth bezel and I ordered that one too. I tried the gold version but gold doesn't go well with my skin tone so there.

The other watch is the Master Grade Tradition Perpetual Calendar Skeleton 8 Day. (I think I got the name right haha).

There is a story to it. I met the then CEO of JLC a few years ago at Geneva, actually at the 911R unveiling. He saw my Lab 2 and we talked watches. This watch was mentioned by him and he was excited about the skeleton and I was like sure I wanted one, sight unseen. Price unknown then either lol. As it happens Vancouver was getting a JLC Boutique and he flew in the next year for the grand opening. Carrying the watch to me. But just before delivery as we were talking, he found a 'slight' flaw in the blue enamel and took it back and send another one over overnight. He extended his stay to wait for the watch. There goes $130k. They only made 200 of them and there goes 2 right there. Later they made a green enamel version but I didn't get that one.
Whoopsy, incredible story for an epic watch. Its interactions like that which forge deep brand ties for life. A complication like that really makes the Duomètre Quantième Lunaire I liked seem boring in comparison. Enjoy in good health!

Originally Posted by ajw45

https://youtu.be/tGvVnyjs7jM
Although the side profile of the case is interesting, the Code 11:59 is a big swing and a miss for AP. The watch looks like an Emporio Armani watch from the mall.

Originally Posted by pfbz

Just throwing it out there...if you don't love the watch, but also don't want to be a flipper, any chance of paying it forward to someone that would love to purchase one at msrp? I may know a guy
Old 03-08-2019, 02:33 PM
VLJ
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by iammacey
I bought my GMT new in 2014 and the nonsense with a Rolex Sport model really annoys me. Glad I got mine when I did and honestly not sure I'll get another one. Despite wanting the new Pepsi Jubilee. I do appreciate that buying from an AD means MSRP, but they remain almost impossible to get.

I did just pick up a new Oris today. Ordered it earlier in February shortly after they announced it. 111 of 500, so cool number. I really like their stuff and the price point is excellent by comparison.

It may just be the photo but that thing looks ridiculous on your wrist due to its size.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:54 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by VLJ
It may just be the photo but that thing looks ridiculous on your wrist due to its size.
It's huge, for sure. Less cartoonish in the real world, or maybe I've gotten used to it. Plus, you know, I'm dainty

Quick Reply: OT - Watches