GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Best Harness/Roll Bar (GROUP BUY)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016 | 04:35 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Chris. Can you tell us how the front arms are mounted to the car? Is it through a plate, or a single bolt through the seat belt mount? Is the engine compartment still accessible?
Old 01-29-2016 | 12:08 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Bump for answers to my questions.
Old 01-29-2016 | 12:39 AM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Bump for answers to my questions.
I don't mean to make excuses for Chris but I know he is a very busy guy right now. And at the best of times he's rarely found lurking on the forums. I suggest you call the shop tomorrow for the answers you are seeking. I had no trouble reaching him when I phoned there yesterday.
Old 01-29-2016 | 01:11 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
I don't mean to make excuses for Chris but I know he is a very busy guy right now. And at the best of times he's rarely found lurking on the forums. I suggest you call the shop tomorrow for the answers you are seeking. I had no trouble reaching him when I phoned there yesterday.
Thanks. Been really busy during the daytime, so it's been tough getting the time to make a phone call.
Old 01-29-2016 | 01:18 AM
johnr265
Pro

Thanks. Been really busy during the daytime, so it's been tough getting the time to make a phone call.
Joe, I will try to email him directly with your questions and see what he says.
Old 01-29-2016 | 01:25 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2016 | 11:48 PM
johnr265
Pro

Just a friendly reminder to everyone who put their name on the list or who wish to join in the group buy to contact Chris Monday to make arrangements for their individual purchasing needs. You must do this or risk missing out on the discounted pricing. Their phone number is: (203) 730-0311

Joe, I didn't hear back on Friday but hopefully he can be more attentive now that the crunch is done. If I get an email, I will forward. Otherwise, if you have the time, you might try giving him a call tomorrow.
Old 02-05-2016 | 06:45 PM
johnr265
Pro

FYI, if you've had trouble getting in touch with Chris this week, don't despair. He was incredibly sick, even to the point he had to go to the hospital. He said nobody will lose their spot or pricing due to his illness and absence this week and he will be catching up with everyone soon.
Old 02-06-2016 | 12:11 AM
BBiAutosport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hello Rennlist Members,

Just to let everyone know, we will unveil our 981 GT4 bar in 2 weeks. Stay tuned for updates!

- Jerry@BBiAutosport.com

Bringing Passion, Artistry, Craft to the Porsche Tuning Industry
Southern California's Porsche Performance Tuning, Engine Development,
ECU Software Tuning, Custom Fabrication, Race Preparation & Factory Service Center
Website: www.bbiautosport.com Email: sales@bbiautosport.com Phone: (714) 843-0200
Follow Us On: Facebook & Instagram
Old 02-12-2016 | 11:03 AM
Speedsport
Former Vendor

So far I have contact info for 6 of the 11 people committed in the thread.

If you have not yet contacted SST, please call at 203.730.0311 with your name, board name, and email address. Email will be going out ASAP to all people on the list.

Thanks for your patience, it's good to be back and feeling better... let's do this!

- Chris Provan
Old 02-12-2016 | 02:29 PM
Knolow
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RSSmike

It’s important for the end user to understand and prioritize the features they actually need when considering a Roll Bar or Harness Bar.

A few questions to consider:

1. Will you be racing professionally and need maximum protection?
2. Are you doing track days in a dual purpose vehicle?
3. Do you want a fully reversible modification, or a permanent one?
4. How much time and money will you invest in the installation and
removal of the bar when you sell the car?
5. Consider the functional design, purpose of the bar and how it mounts to the chassis or structural points?
6. Does the bar add to the structural rigidity of the vehicle?
7. Is the horizontal bar/shoulder belt mount positioned correctly behind the driver in terms of safe harness angle and distance?
8. Does the bar provide ample seat back room and head room for your body type, while meeting safety criteria of #7?
9. Does the bar detract from rearward visibility?
10. How much weight will the bar add to the vehicle and where will the majority of the weight be positioned, high, low, fore aft, and how will it affect vehicle handling dynamics?
11. How important is the "Roll Bar Look" to you and is it worth the trade offs in terms of weight and installation?

RSS HARNESS BAR MOUNTING POINTS (951 & 950 Series Bars)

Photo of the RSS 951 "Hybrid" Harness Bar for 981/GT4. This illustrates the mounting points and the differences between the 951 Hybrid (20Lbs) and 950 "Lightweight" (7lbs) 2 Point Harness Bars.

1 + 2 + 3 show the horizontal and vertical mounting points for the 950 Lightweight Bar & the 951 Hybrid Bar.
(1 + 2) The bars mount between the two boxed ends of the cross member using the OE mounting hardware which secure through the existing cross member into the chassis points, effectively bracing/bridging them together.

(3) adds a vertical mounting point on both bars (the OE shoulder belt bolt).
*The 951 Hybrid bar has an additional locating bracket on top of the structural cross beam.

951 Hybrid Bar

950 Lightweight Bar

Wow the RSS harness bar 1/2 roll bar looks great and provides a perfect in between. Like above I have the concern of how does it address engine access?
Old 02-15-2016 | 08:51 PM
RSSmike
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Knolow
Wow the RSS harness bar 1/2 roll bar looks great and provides a perfect in between. Like above I have the concern of how does it address engine access?
Thanks Knolow, unlimited engine access from the top and front firewall was a design criteria for both the 950 Lightweight and 951 Hybrid Bars.
Old 02-18-2016 | 11:41 AM
Speedsport
Former Vendor

Hi all,

I was back in the hospital for a bit but it looks like everything is finally going the right direction.

I've just sent out the group buy email to those for whom I have email addresses. Please contact me via PM of phone call to the shop if you did not receive an email.

-CP
Old 02-18-2016 | 11:56 AM
Speedsport
Former Vendor

Chris. Can you tell us how the front arms are mounted to the car? Is it through a plate, or a single bolt through the seat belt mount? Is the engine compartment still accessible?
Single bolt through the seat belt mount as well as the sub plate riser for additional vertical and lateral support. The front cover is thus accessible without the gaping holes that others' bars require you to hack out of your carpet. The rear diagonals are removable for ease of service access to the upper cover.

This is a completely reversible installation with only a small horizontal slit above the level of the plastic "waterfall" between the seats (invisible with the bar removed, the carpet closes right back up) and small crescents trimmed out of part 981.551.433.02.1E0 (the plastic cross piece between the rear strut towers).

Since we have so many 981 builds this year, we may have enough of these items to sell to the group buy participants at a significant discount as a brand new part to install should anyone ever decide to remove their bar. Alternately, you may elect to keep your original part and we will trim the part from a build.

Our bars don't require any other cutting or modification to the interior for installation or removal.
Old 03-08-2016 | 01:45 AM
johnr265
Pro

Ok guys, bars are being built (and hopefully on their way back soon). The following people have not given their deposits on nor claimed their bars:

-Orthojoe
-Doborder
-Cooperyau
-Smoltz

If you guys still want your bars, you need to call Chris with a deposit ASAP or risk losing your bar. If there are others that did not get orders in, you can put your name down for an unclaimed bar (right now, there are three of them that can be sold for the original group buy price to the first people that contact Chris at Speedsport Tuning (203) 730-0311 and give him a deposit).

Again, no affiliation, just don't want them to lose money because of our group buy. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Best Harness/Roll Bar (GROUP BUY)