Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

tow hook will not thread easily into receiver

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016 | 06:24 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STLPCA
It's reverse threaded to prevent the ccw twisting torque from a tow cable from loosening the tow hook. Instead the twisting cable will tighten the hook. It wasn't a haphazard design.
So why didn't they do it sooner?
Old 01-03-2016 | 12:27 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by STLPCA
It's reverse threaded to prevent the ccw twisting torque from a tow cable from loosening the tow hook. Instead the twisting cable will tighten the hook. It wasn't a haphazard design.
Why do tow cables necessarily twist in a CCW direction, or at all? When I got towed out of a gravel pit after an crossing an oil line created by some other car (take your tech inspections seriously people!!), the guy just put a hook through the eye of the tow hook and started driving forward. I understand why Porsche uses reverse threads on the left wheels of their top-end cars since braking would technically otherwise loosen those lugs, but this one makes less sense to me.
Old 01-03-2016 | 12:49 PM
Ochocoronas
Pro

Maybe its like flushing the toilet on the otherside of the planet . Where you are dictates which way it goes.
Old 01-03-2016 | 01:05 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ochocoronas
Maybe its like flushing the toilet on the otherside of the planet . Where you are dictates which way it goes.
Went to Australia last year and was disappointed to discover that the toilets spin the water clockwise just like here.
Old 01-03-2016 | 03:43 PM
katmeho
Pro

My front was having trouble getting started until I lifted up on the bumper a little. It went in easily after that. Just needed to make sure the hole had no rubbing on body parts to get started.
Old 01-03-2016 | 08:18 PM
johnr265
Pro

Mine was pretty tight too. Slowly getting better though.
Old 01-04-2016 | 12:50 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jphughan
Went to Australia last year and was disappointed to discover that the toilets spin the water clockwise just like here.
They must have bad an American toilet.
Old 01-04-2016 | 08:04 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
They must have bad an American toilet.
It was an "American Standard" toilet.

But seriously, why the CCW thread on a tow hook?
Old 01-04-2016 | 12:37 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
But seriously, why the CCW thread on a tow hook?
See my post above. Talk to a tow truck operator about tow cable twisting when stretched.
Old 01-05-2016 | 02:03 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
I have the Rennline license plate bracket. I've had no issue. It's reverse thread of course. And don't forget to install the spacer before screwing it in.
Well I played with it a little more, and I think with this tow hook, you probably need only one spacer washer (maybe even none) if you want the hook to remain flush to the bumper cover ( I would still use the O ring, of course)
I will try it without a spacer, and just the O Ring and report back
Originally Posted by katmeho
My front was having trouble getting started until I lifted up on the bumper a little. It went in easily after that. Just needed to make sure the hole had no rubbing on body parts to get started.
Well you nailed it ...
The cover was making it harder to screw in .. I put my foot under the front spoiler/cover, and lifted it up and it went in without scratching the side of the screw ( I guess German precision doesn't apply here)
The receiver boss, was still threaded a bit rough, so that and the rubbing on the cover, was the issue with making it difficult for it to going in..
BTW the main reason I got this tow hook, was for the Go Pro adapter that goes into it and holds the camera ...
Thanks guys for your help !!
Regards
Ed
Old 01-06-2016 | 11:59 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Default I like it

Now, it just has to stop raining ( which should be in about 2 weeks ),
so I can use the Go Pro mount
Attached Images   
Old 02-15-2016 | 09:06 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

received my rennline tow hook but the part doesn't even begin to be long enough to thread into the receiver. I checked my order and I purchased one for the gt4, spyder has the same bumper... not sure why it's so far off?
Old 02-16-2016 | 12:14 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

received my rennline tow hook but the part doesn't even begin to be long enough to thread into the receiver. I checked my order and I purchased one for the gt4, spyder has the same bumper... not sure why it's so far off?
Pictures ??
Old 02-16-2016 | 02:09 PM
Rennline_
Advanced

Did you happen to order from Safe Racer?

I saw your other post as well but haven't received an email or phone call, so I didn't know how to find your order to check it out. If you did order from them the issue is that they only list our 986/996/987/997. The previous generations are very short bumper screw and it is not left-hand thread like the new chassis is. The thread direction is the easiest way to confirm this is your issue.

If that is the issue they can't get it sorted quickly just shoot me an email Shawn@Rennline.com and I'll get you squared away. We always try to respond very quickly when contacted directly

-Shawn

Last edited by Rennline_; 02-17-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-16-2016 | 05:08 PM
EGOKLR
AutoX

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
So why didn't they do it sooner?
Volkswagen has done this for 20+ years. Can't say for Porsche as I haven't been around them for very long.

Quick Reply: tow hook will not thread easily into receiver