Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Installed some new goodies on the GT4

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 09:23 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the photos. Is there any weight savings with the j hook rotors? They look awesome.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:44 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,040 Likes on 2,303 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Here you go. Don't mind the sand bucket. Just holding the rotor flat while I get ready to install the set screws.
What pads are you running with the rotors?
Old 12-18-2015, 11:15 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by ML///
Thanks for the photos. Is there any weight savings with the j hook rotors? They look awesome.
Didn't weigh them.

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
What pads are you running with the rotors?
PFC11s
Old 12-20-2015, 12:22 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Ok, so I got some mid/late corner understeering due to the stiffer front (I was middle front sway and full stiff rear) so I loosened up the front sway to full soft that pretty much too care of the understeer issues (I'm running a little over -3 camber on the front). The turn-in was very crisp and precise though. My tires began to cord so part of the understeering could have been warn front tires. The car no longer dives upon breaking and seems a lot more balances and composed with weight transfer. Overall, I'm very happy with the stiffer springs.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:28 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

Ok, so I got some mid/late corner understeering due to the stiffer front (I was middle front sway and full stiff rear) so I loosened up the front sway to full soft that pretty much too care of the understeer issues (I'm running a little over -3 camber on the front). The turn-in was very crisp and precise though. My tires began to cord so part of the understeering could have been warn front tires. The car no longer dives upon breaking and seems a lot more balances and composed with weight transfer. Overall, I'm very happy with the stiffer springs.
Cool. Any reason to believe the rear might benefit from a stiffer sway bar?
Old 12-20-2015, 12:41 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yargk
Cool. Any reason to believe the rear might benefit from a stiffer sway bar?
Before the stiffer springs I ran full soft front sways and middle rear sways and got a lot of tire rollover on the front tires (resulting in a lot of outside rear on the front tires despite -3.2 camber). Then I went to middle front and full stiff rear and that reduced the tires rolling over a bit (I keep the same setting with the stiffer springs) since I made the front spring more stiff than the rear spring. I figured since I was getting post-apex understeer going full stiff on the front sway would help and it did. I might try middle rear next time when I have fresh tires.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:54 AM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I might try middle rear next time when I have fresh tires.
Ya, it's difficult to draw reliable conclusions about setup when running old tires.

So, inquiring minds want to know if cording your tires kept you from winning the DE? How were your lap times compared to the last time you were there?

TT
Old 12-20-2015, 08:41 PM
twentyseven
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by HiWind
So martin (bean counter) you went roughly 100% stiffer on the front
And 25% on the back?
This will dramatically change the ride frequency. I'd suggest those interested only take his feedback with a grain of salt...
Old 12-20-2015, 08:48 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by twentyseven
This will dramatically change the ride frequency. I'd suggest those interested only take his feedback with a grain of salt...
Well we know exactly the change in front ride frequency. It's sqrt(450/257) = 1.32. So the ride frequency is increased by a factor of 1.32. (frequency = sqrt(spring rate/mass)

I just don't understand how the MR shocks are programmed. It seems depending on the software they could handle a very large range in springs or not. I understand that they are much better than previous versions, but that still doesn't tell me whether they will operate optimally with stiffer springs.

Assuming the motion ratios are similar in the front and the rear, I think the 450/550 choice is a good one if the shocks can keep up and I'm glad that people are beta testing new setups so early!

Quick Reply: Installed some new goodies on the GT4