Sponsored by: APR

Hot smell after driving and using sport mode

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 11:23 AM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Hot smell after driving and using sport mode

So, the last few weeks I've noticed my car still has that burning "break-in" type smell after driving around when I pull into the garage and shut it down, even when driving normally. I realized that I'd been driving around ever since getting the car in sport mode where oil temp and coolant temp rarely ever went over 200 degrees.

Do you guys think that could have slowed down the break-in? Even when I tracked it a month or two back at Texas World Speedway, oil temps never got much over 240F and coolant stayed around 200F flogging the car.

I'm just wondering if a hot "smell" is normal even with 3k+ miles on it. I don't think anything is abnormal, it just had that "hot breaking-in" smell longer than I expected and I bet running in sport mode with the cooler running temps slowed the break-in.

Thoughts? Am I nuts?
Old 12-14-2015, 11:46 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,460 Likes on 763 Posts

Your nuts - - Everything is fine
Old 12-14-2015, 12:47 PM
volksjaeger
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

I get a very strong "burning brake pad" smell after driving (and light babying break in driving too). It's almost as if the emergency brake was still on while I was driving or the pads are being engaged somehow. It's somewhat disconcerting but I only have 200 miles on the car so far so I am hoping that will go away.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:13 PM
n3rd
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by volksjaeger
I get a very strong "burning brake pad" smell after driving (and light babying break in driving too). It's almost as if the emergency brake was still on while I was driving or the pads are being engaged somehow. It's somewhat disconcerting but I only have 200 miles on the car so far so I am hoping that will go away.
I have this problem too! I have 100 miles on mine.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:23 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,460 Likes on 763 Posts

You are all fine. I have owned a few new Porsches and they always smell just like most will smoke a little at start up. I actually love the smell when you put it back in to you garage and step back in to it an hour later. It could smell for a few hundred miles up 3000-5000 miles. I even had one that smelled up to 10,000 miles. I never thought it was a bad smell - just a new Porsche engine mell
Old 12-14-2015, 01:34 PM
RareAir
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 987.1 smelled "hot" after a drive, from when I acquired it with 6 years and 8k miles on the clock, to when I sold it 1.5 years and 9k miles later. It's one of those things that I just got used to having happen.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:52 PM
snowmants
Advanced

describe the smell...
Old 12-14-2015, 01:55 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 365 Likes on 221 Posts

It smells like that when it's been driven properly.

Also the brakes squeal,the transmission whines,the radiators steam and throw water on your windshield after a wash,the power electric steering makes a horrible whining sound after a wash at standstill. All good.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:19 PM
jakay11
Instructor

I have a GT4, now just over 700mi.
The car has not "been flogged' & is still being broken in...
I'm expecting from prior Porsche experience, that while driven on the street, even gently, the car will smell of hot oil (and brakes). (and old 911s leak so you know they have oil).
The brakes, like my old Pagids on my 944 Turbo WILL squeak when used lightly.
They will also dust. (and do)
I'm following the break-in procedures from when I built race motors... varying loads & engine speeds, (upto 6.5k in this case) never lugging.
Brakes, I did the standard brake hard from increasing speeds and let cool... yes they dust. Yes they're amazing.

The hot oil and hot brake smell, yes they are more noticeable than my 944 Turbo. It is running cooler than that car did... I also noticed it outside with all the GT4s (there were 10 this weekend in NY/NJ) and Spyders that you could also smell the oil and brakes near the rear of the cars... we were also driving spiritedly.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:33 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 94 Posts

jakay11, I guess that is what surprised me. With 183F coolant and 190-200F oil temp, cruising nice and easy (at least the last few minutes of the drive ), I would pull into the garage and have that hot engine and brake smell. It was just weird. Engine pretty cool, yet still hot "smell."

I figured it was totally normal, but thanks for confirming everyone. Car is awesome with 3,500 mile son the clock so far!
Old 12-14-2015, 02:35 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by snowmants
describe the smell...
It's tough to describe, but I think I know what the OP is referring to because I was surprised that the smell is so prevalent even after casual driving, with little to no hard acceleration, high revs, or even heavy braking. I have 950 miles on mine thus far. I guess the best way I can describe it is a mixture of brake pads, rubber, and oil. I'm also surprised by how loud the thermal contraction noises are in this car and how quickly they begin after getting out. Neither of these things bothers me in the least though; they were just unexpected.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:01 PM
csbear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neanicu

Also the brakes squeal,the transmission whines,the radiators steam and throw water on your windshield after a wash,the power electric steering makes a horrible whining sound after a wash at standstill. All good.
Yup to all that!
Old 12-14-2015, 03:29 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by volksjaeger
200 !! Comeooonnnn
Originally Posted by neanicu

Drives me crazy when the water shoots up on the windshield
You can get rid of a lot of that if you open the front hood and wipe that area under there
Originally Posted by jakay11
I have a GT4, now just over 700mi.
The car has not "been flogged' & is still being broken in...
I'm expecting from prior Porsche experience, that while driven on the street, even gently, the car will smell of hot oil (and brakes). (and old 911s leak so you know they have oil).
The brakes, like my old Pagids on my 944 Turbo WILL squeak when used lightly.
They will also dust. (and do)
I'm following the break-in procedures from when I built race motors... varying loads & engine speeds, (upto 6.5k in this case) never lugging.
Brakes, I did the standard brake hard from increasing speeds and let cool... yes they dust. Yes they're amazing.

The hot oil and hot brake smell, yes they are more noticeable than my 944 Turbo. It is running cooler than that car did... I also noticed it outside with all the GT4s (there were 10 this weekend in NY/NJ) and Spyders that you could also smell the oil and brakes near the rear of the cars... we were also driving spiritedly.
944 Turbo!
Originally Posted by Quikag
jakay11, I guess that is what surprised me. With 183F coolant and 190-200F oil temp, cruising nice and easy (at least the last few minutes of the drive ), I would pull into the garage and have that hot engine and brake smell. It was just weird. Engine pretty cool, yet still hot "smell."

I figured it was totally normal, but thanks for confirming everyone. Car is awesome with 3,500 mile son the clock so far!
Yep, all those symptoms here too
Old 12-14-2015, 03:35 PM
jakay11
Instructor

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
944 Turbo!
So were you on the 924/944/968 email lists back in the day with John D?
Old 12-14-2015, 03:46 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jakay11
So were you on the 924/944/968 email lists back in the day with John D?
I joined just at the end of that ... So I am not an orig "old timer "
That list just ended last year ...
One of the best things I ever did was join Rennlist
I do miss John D though....

Quick Reply: Hot smell after driving and using sport mode