Sponsored by: APR

GT4.0 RS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 10:13 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Thanks for the nice words Jake!
Sure, they are something you guys earned :-)

Keep us posted on your results, sounds really expensive throwing away all those factory parts.
If you need any of them, let me know. I have a good state of cranks, rods, pistons, and even brand new cylinder head / valve train components that we have no use for.

Our 4.0L GT4 engines are built on the same philosophy as the Factory Porsche Motorsport 4.0L RS and RSR engines with simillar bore and stroke dimensions.
We love the Factory Crank, bores and Pistons. Porsche uses the same design parts in the 991 GT3 and Turbo for Years with great success and performance.
After the engines come apart, its easy to see what the factory did to give some engines/ platforms more power than others, while using the same, or very similar components. Tossing those parts around and using the longer stroke factory crank combo, with the engines that have the larger bore sizes is something I first did with ease in 2010, while the 4.2 parts were being manufactured. Its not the route I wanted to go, because I want my engine, to truly be my engine, and the factory stuff doesn't fit my craziness well enough.

We have the greatest confidence our engines are built to last and perform as the factory intended.
Like always, time tells the story. With the GT4 being so new, and having its own set of some of the components, everyone will have to wait and see what the results are as the years pass by. As you pull apart the engines it'll be interesting to see how our notes compare in regard to running clearances and how the visual inspections of some of the factory surfaces look. If you find anything odd, please contact me.

Can't wait to see what the 4.2 you are making will do!!
Its already "done it", I just want to make sure that it continues to "do it", as well as doing all the other things that its supposed to do while "doing it". LOL

The latest blocks will now allow for 4.4L, and I am taking one there now. I doubt I'd offer that engine, since the 4.2 has all the development into it so far, but it'll be nice to see when the intake, cylinder heads, and the rest of the platform become inefficient.

Are you doing any port work to the 4.0, or leaving it as cast with the GT4 heads? Its always nice to have a common cause, but a separate objective, thats how we can all live together in this small Porsche world, and have fun doing what we love to do. :-)
Old 01-07-2016, 12:16 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
The factory chose some characteristics for the Gt4 version of the internals that are interesting, to say the very least, when compared to other engines for other variants.
Really curious to understand the above comment - all of us are interested to learn how the GT4 is different than the 3.8 in the 911.

Overall this is really exciting to see development of the GT4 kicking off - it's going to be quite the hot rod. Cheap enough that I think we'll see people dropping a lot of money into the motors to chase it's big brother vs. the GT3.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:48 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Really curious to understand the above comment - all of us are interested to learn how the GT4 is different than the 3.8 in the 911.
It'll take a good while, and in depth research to determine that. Me, well thats not my main goal, because it doesn't matter to me what the differences are, since my ideas are so far removed from either of the stock engines. There are times when we find components are chosen for a specific purpose between two seemingly similar components/ engines, and that always is an interest when finding what piece needs to go into the puzzle. Flow bench data from the cylinder heads, and camshaft plots from my cam Dr. device have shown us some things that are the most interesting in regard to where the heart of the power band was intended to be. Doing overlays of those items in comparison with others carried out back to back sheds some light, but its not till the parts are tossed around and the engine runs, do we see how the things effect the engine most.

Overall this is really exciting to see development of the GT4 kicking off - it's going to be quite the hot rod. Cheap enough that I think we'll see people dropping a lot of money into the motors to chase it's big brother vs. the GT3.
I think all of us that play this game already saw that from the very beginning. Thats why everyone I know that is a major player bought or got their hands on a GT4 and started development immediately. Thats something I haven't ever seen occur so quickly, or intensely with ANY water cooled Porsche.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:18 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake

I can verify the internals of the GT4 3.8 are the SAME components in the Carrera S 3.8

The case halves are obviously machined differently for the mid engine application but otherwise the same.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:20 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Rick DeMan
I can verify the internals of the GT4 3.8 are the SAME components in the Carrera S 3.8

The case halves are obviously machined differently for the mid engine application but otherwise the same.
This is where we can compare notes and learn something from the two different perspectives. have you had those cams on a cam Dr, or are you going from part numbers/ casting numbers only? Same with the heads, had any on the flow bench compared to a 3.8 Carrera S?
Old 01-11-2016, 02:49 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
Are the Deman and BGB strokers different? Kind of odd that both are announced on the same day.
They are not different. The kit will be available from either shop with installation ONLY at the respective shops. There will not be any dealers or remote installs. This was something where we collaborated to finally bring this project to fruition and if not for Rick, this thing would still be nothing more than a 3 year old pipe dream of mine. He was able to take the ball and run it into the end zone and now we have 3.99L in reality and not just on paper. I've been privy to everything the entire step of the way during implementation and tuning. It's the real deal.

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 01-14-2016 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:09 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 139 Posts

Huge Props! To both BGB & DeMan.. It's rare to see such collaboration between shops within this industry!
Old 01-13-2016, 09:36 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Huge Props! To both BGB & DeMan.. It's rare to see such collaboration between shops within this industry!
Got to say it like it is!!

Thanks John!
Old 01-15-2016, 12:26 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

This one is "gutted" and ready for a little magic, along with a billet deck plate, in an attempt to go to 4.4L.

Someone PM'd me and asked "why do you always take the hard road with these developments?".

My reply was "Why do you assume that I see two roads?"

Old 02-25-2016, 09:24 AM
DeMan Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

Continued tuning to the ECU and other developments were dynod yesterday on our 4.0L engine package in our GT4. Attached is the latest dyno sheet. Testing short tube (red) vs long tube (green)header. 410HP and 345FT/LB at the wheels!

See awesome photos of out projects here.

DeMan Motorsport
530 N Highland Ave Nyack, NY 10960
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales, Service, Restorations
Porsche Race Services and Parts
DeManMotorsport.com

Quick Reply: GT4.0 RS?