Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Coolant error on new GT4

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 05:43 PM
FergusH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, my lack of confidence was well placed: no car this weekend. They've replaced the thermostat and temperature sensor but have introduced an air bubble in the system that's got to be fixed.

Sigh...

Last edited by FergusH; 12-08-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:10 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Well, on the bright side they realized a problem with the coolant before handing the car back to you. A 991 GT3 friend of mine had the dealer replace the thermostat and completely muck up the coolant refill. Only found out at the next track event where all the warning lights lit up like a Christmas tree.

Hang in there!
Old 12-04-2015, 06:43 PM
FergusH
Pro

Originally Posted by PistolPete
Well, on the bright side they realized a problem with the coolant before handing the car back to you. A 991 GT3 friend of mine had the dealer replace the thermostat and completely muck up the coolant refill. Only found out at the next track event where all the warning lights lit up like a Christmas tree.

Hang in there!
Good point: better to find and fix a problem now. I asked my SA if he can get someone to work tomorrow to finish up the work. Crossing my fingers.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:58 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FergusH
Good point: better to find and fix a problem now. I asked my SA if he can get someone to work tomorrow to finish up the work. Crossing my fingers.
I really hope someone didn't come in on possibly their only day off for bleed the coolant.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:59 PM
FergusH
Pro

Originally Posted by 81911
I really hope someone didn't come in on possibly their only day off for bleed the coolant.
No. Hopefully it'll be done this morning.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:20 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 160 Posts

Tough situation... can't put them on blast until the cars been fixed..
GL man..
Old 12-08-2015, 09:46 AM
FergusH
Pro

Woohoo!

(On average, the cars in the garage get pretty good gas milage!)

Here's what was done to fix the car:

I don't fully understand the issue about the temp sensor opening at 211 degrees and how that related to no coolant getting to the radiator. Can someone explain that?

Very glad to have the car back! Hopefully there won't be any more problems any time soon.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:08 AM
RareAir
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the safe return. Glad to see they also set your tire pressures in order to reduce greenhouse emissions.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:18 AM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Happy to see you get the car back.

Those bikes on the rack look like they're right above the car! I'd never be able to sleep with that setup in the garage.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:21 AM
FergusH
Pro

Originally Posted by RareAir
Congrats on the safe return. Glad to see they also set your tire pressures in order to reduce greenhouse emissions.
Ha! Yeah, I noticed that too. I actually think it's a pretty good idea since unless you actually care about your car and driving, you've probably got your tires under inflated. And if you're round-glasses-wearing, Berkeley-living, bearded 40-something driving in the far left lane at 10 miles an hour under the speed limit in your Prius, then you've definitely got your tires under inflated!

I read somewhere that the tire pressure law will save 75M gallons of gas each year in California. That's incredible.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:26 AM
FergusH
Pro

Originally Posted by PistolPete
Happy to see you get the car back.

Those bikes on the rack look like they're right above the car! I'd never be able to sleep with that setup in the garage.
I was wondering if anyone would comment on that! It's a very solid rack, with very big hooks holding the bikes. We live on a very steep hill (the garage is actually on the top of the house), 300 yards from the most dangerous fault line in the Bay Area (the Hayward Fault). I suspect that an incident big enough to drop the bikes will also have the house sliding down the hill! Our earthquake kit is up the slope from the house....

All that said, I might switch the cars around or just put the i3 in the drive way. It's leased so it can sit outdoors.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:51 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by FergusH
Woohoo! (On average, the cars in the garage get pretty good gas milage!) Here's what was done to fix the car: I don't fully understand the issue about the temp sensor opening at 211 degrees and how that related to no coolant getting to the radiator. Can someone explain that? Very glad to have the car back! Hopefully there won't be any more problems any time soon.
Glad it worked out!

Not to parade myself,but I have called the thermostat in the first post of this thread.
The temperature sensor is responsible for turning the fans on when the car needs cool down. Like stuck in traffic at idle. From the technician's description,the temp sensor was indicating the DME that the car is overheating when in fact it was not. They use 2 or more temp sensors in modern cars these days,so the technician had a reference off a different sensor.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:52 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,519 Posts

FergusH, why soooooo much coolant added? 3.79 L x 2 = 7.58 L. Is this 100% coolant or the 50:50% blend.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:53 AM
FergusH
Pro

Originally Posted by LexVan
FergusH, why soooooo much coolant added? 3.79 L x 2 = 7.58 L. Is this 100% coolant or the 50:50% blend.
Not sure. Perhaps there were two cycles of draining and refilling?
Old 12-08-2015, 10:55 AM
FergusH
Pro

Originally Posted by neanicu
Glad it worked out!

Not to parade myself,but I have called the thermostat in the first post of this thread.
The temperature sensor is responsible for turning the fans on when the car needs cool down. Like stuck in traffic at idle. From the technician's description,the temp sensor was indicating the DME that the car is overheating when in fact it was not. They use 2 or more temp sensors in modern cars these days,so the technician had a reference off a different sensor.
Yes, I remember you called it! Seemed a likely problem.

Any thoughts on the "no flow of coolant radiator" comment? I don't understand that part.

Quick Reply: Coolant error on new GT4