Sponsored by: APR

Help With Build- Dual climate

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 12:02 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cmosman
jphughan, Thanks for the clarification. Also now realized that there are plenty of threads in the boxster/cayman forums that also confirm this. The standard system is 50's technology.
My '89 944 had single zone climate and so does my '01 boxster. In both, that was not an option. Didn't even realize that any one car company would still spend development $$'s on NOT providing something that has been customary for 25 years or more. Imagine a TV, where the remote is an upgrade ..
Well if Porsche ever enters the TV business, I won't have to imagine!
Old 11-22-2015, 12:26 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,514 Likes on 2,830 Posts

I'll admit I drew the line on this one.

The audacity to make people, who are buying a $100k car, pay $800 for something that often comes standard in an economy car - I just couldn't make myself do it.

I have primitive A/C in my Tacoma. It works fine.

Last edited by rk-d; 11-22-2015 at 12:54 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:25 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 144 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
Well if Porsche ever enters the TV business, I won't have to imagine!
But they will have an option to have the remote in leather and deviated stitching. Except the leather won't cover the backside, and to get that you will also need the LED backlit power button, but then the deviated stitching will be removed for that button... to get it back, you can write to Porsche Exclusive and but they will only oblige if you bought their $1m hybrid TV...
Old 11-22-2015, 07:22 AM
Ochocoronas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rk-d
I'll admit I drew the line on this one.

The audacity to make people, who are buying a $100k car, pay $800 for something that often comes standard in an economy car - I just couldn't make myself do it.

I have primitive A/C in my Tacoma. It works fine.
And when you go to Outback your potato comes with your meal and when you go to Ruth Chris you have to buy it separately. Do you like luxury ?

The GT4 cabin is so small its a waste of money IMO.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:34 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by sunnyr
But they will have an option to have the remote in leather and deviated stitching. Except the leather won't cover the backside, and to get that you will also need the LED backlit power button, but then the deviated stitching will be removed for that button... to get it back, you can write to Porsche Exclusive and but they will only oblige if you bought their $1m hybrid TV...
Old 11-22-2015, 09:37 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ochocoronas
And when you go to Outback your potato comes with your meal and when you go to Ruth Chris you have to buy it separately. Do you like luxury ?

The GT4 cabin is so small its a waste of money IMO.
I don't think anybody is arguing that the dual zone aspect is worthwhile in a car this size (except maybe those with spouses who are always warm when it's cold and vice versa) or even that this feature is worth what it costs. It's whether you want climate control with the ability to set a target temperature, even if it were just for a single zone, or just have Hot/Cold air conditioning. Had single-zone climate control been standard or even an option, I'd have gotten that instead. I just didn't want manual A/C.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:46 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder how many opting for the std single stage heat/AC have also optioned leather interior, deviated stitching,etc.
You do USE your heat/AC all the time car is operational. Without the ability to control interior temp at a fixed number, you might have to buy stick on thermometers from Amazon or use your or your wife's/GF butt thermometer to regulate.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:49 AM
jas49503
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STLPCA
Because one's body adapts to longer term (e.g., seasonal) ambient temperature changes. Plus, I may change the temp setting based on what I'm wearing.
Plus the thermostat won't adjust for radiant heat from the sun on your black clothes or lack there of when you are in the shade. I have auto temp control in my car and it never gets it right. Not to mention the annoying fan noise that always requires adjustment and the fact that it doesn't know if I want it extra hot because I want to drive with the windows down when it's cold out.

If you couldn't guess, I passed on that option.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:01 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by jas49503
Plus the thermostat won't adjust for radiant heat from the sun on your black clothes or lack there of when you are in the shade. I have auto temp control in my car and it never gets it right. Not to mention the annoying fan noise that always requires adjustment and the fact that it doesn't know if I want it extra hot because I want to drive with the windows down when it's cold out.

My '08 Acura TL Type-S and I think my '11 M3 used the GPS system to deal with the sun issue. Since it knows the time, your location, and your heading, it would know where the sun was and would adjust the strength of the fans on one side of the cabin or the other to compensate. I never had to adjust the Auto modes in either of those cars, although in the M3 it was possible to adjust the fans manually while remaining in Auto mode, whereas on the GT4 I find it consistently has the fans on more intensely than I want even after I've reduced the air volume setting from Strong to Normal and enabled the supplementary ventilation option so not all of the air is blowing out of the vents facing directly at me. But if you change the fan speed in this car you disable Auto mode. Still, I've never had to adjust the temperature setting, so it's doing what I wanted.

I've never felt the need to adjust based on shade or clothes, but I guess that's because in my other cars, once the cabin has reached the desired temperature, the fans are pretty calm, at which point you don't feel the system active; the temperature is just what you want it to be.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:13 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

I don't think anybody is arguing that the dual zone aspect is worthwhile in a car this size (except maybe those with spouses who are always warm when it's cold and vice versa) or even that this feature is worth what it costs. It's whether you want climate control with the ability to set a target temperature, even if it were just for a single zone, or just have Hot/Cold air conditioning. Had single-zone climate control been standard or even an option, I'd have gotten that instead. I just didn't want manual A/C.
Originally Posted by seapar
I wonder how many opting for the std single stage heat/AC have also optioned leather interior, deviated stitching,etc.
You do USE your heat/AC all the time car is operational. Without the ability to control interior temp at a fixed number, you might have to buy stick on thermometers from Amazon or use your or your wife's/GF butt thermometer to regulate.
My '08 Acura TL Type-S and I think my '11 M3 used the GPS system to deal with the sun issue. Since it knows the time, your location, and your heading, it would know where the sun was and would adjust the strength of the fans on one side of the cabin or the other to compensate. I never had to adjust the Auto modes in either of those cars, although in the M3 it was possible to adjust the fans manually while remaining in Auto mode, whereas on the GT4 I find it consistently has the fans on more intensely than I want even after I've reduced the air volume setting from Strong to Normal and enabled the supplementary ventilation option so not all of the air is blowing out of the vents facing directly at me. But if you change the fan speed in this car you disable Auto mode. Still, I've never had to adjust the temperature setting, so it's doing what I wanted.

I've never felt the need to adjust based on shade or clothes, but I guess that's because in my other cars, once the cabin has reached the desired temperature, the fans are pretty calm, at which point you don't feel the system active; the temperature is just what you want it to be.
Originally Posted by jas49503

I'm in this ^^^ camp (and have LWBs....).

Some of us prefer not to have/use a Temp and Auto mode. If you do, great, get that option. Simple as that.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:15 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,514 Likes on 2,830 Posts

Originally Posted by seapar
I loaded her up, otherwise.

I spent over $600 on leather for the steering column, so I'm not averse to spending money on trivialities. This a/c thing just strikes me as gouging and, frankly, I'd probably just set the temp manually anyway. I never seem to agree with the choices that climate controls make when regulating temperature.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:21 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No worries. At least you can build it and spec it the way you want.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:25 PM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts

I haven't driven enough at night to notice this, but from experience with my M3 and then driving other cars without this feature, I realized how much I'd come to like having auto-dimming on the side mirrors when changing lanes at night, and if you don't get this option, there's no manual way to dim those as far as I know.
The problem is that the side mirrors only dim if the center mirror dims. So, if the sensor on the center mirror is in the shadow cast by the wing, none of the mirrors dim. As far as I know, there's only one sensor in the whole system, and it's mounted at the bottom of the center mirror.

I had the auto-dimming mirrors on my previous Cayman R, and really liked them. However, the wing on that car didn't cast a shadow on the mirror sensor, so the system worked like it was supposed to.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:34 PM
Dimmu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got it for auto air... manual AC annoys the hell out of me. Set it and forget for me.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:43 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,573 Likes on 2,597 Posts

This car deserves to be on the road a lot, and the dz climate control is appropriate for the car ... so get it and stop overthinking this. The cost is less than two tires, and a measly 1% of the cost of the car. Don't fall prey to being emotional and irrational about which things are optional versus standard - we buy this car because nothing can compete with it at this price. Porsche gets to make a nice profit because of their engineering expertise and we gets lots of smiles if we stay focused on how good and fun the car is. That's the bargain we've struck with Porsche.

Quick Reply: Help With Build- Dual climate