Sponsored by: APR

Autoblip... How to Disable??

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 09:50 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcam
Thanks neanicu and DeerHunter. I get it now and my SA was wrong- whew. Just saved some bucks. (sorry deer hunter)
Glad to help.
Sorry if I sounded harsh in my initial post,I apologize.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:29 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcam
Just saved some bucks. (sorry deer hunter)
No worries - I don't actually hunt deer. The moniker was bestowed by some friends when I took out a four-point buck with my Miata after a club BBQ in the boonies. Damn thing almost made it through the windshield, then flew thirty feet in the air and just about took out the car behind me.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:00 AM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by STLPCA
After several decades of driving manual transmission cars, including several Triumphs, I consider myself proficient at heel and toeing and enjoy that skill. However, I have to admit that the auto blip is both faster and better than I am. Plus, it's 100% consistent, more so than any human being.
Despite many attempts, I can't stab the throttle to get as quick a blip response that the autoblip provides. And on the street, it's tough to get the heel-toe right given how high the brake pedal is.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:27 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts

Wow three pages of response overnight--thanks guys. My question arose because the autoblip behaves rather differently from human blipping. I'm a deep blipper myself--say around 50% throttle so to speak, and like most folks, I match revs on the dip. Nothing controversial so far...

Enter the autoblipper. It rears its head when the **** goes thru the gate and with holds the revs for what appears to be 1-2 seconds (if one is determined to figure out how it works, and I have tried)... revs just stay put while the ECU awaits your left foot to release the clutch. Just upsets the inherent rhythm in this well crafted car IMO...

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
The GT4 has a single throttle map, period... The Sport button turns on autoblipping and electronically opens the thermostat in anticipation of sportier driving - nothing else.
Originally Posted by neanicu
The Sport button does not influence throttle response in any way shape or form.
The Sport Chrono adds the center clock,Track precision app and a few features like the Gear shift assist. That's it! IT DOES NOT MODIFY THROTTLE RESPONSE.
Thanks DeerHunter and Neanicu... swear I felt a sharper throttle response with the button on, but that could well just be placebo... coming from other Porsches the "Sport" button usually meant something, but guess this one should've been labeled "I can't really drive stick but want to look cool anyway". Too many words and and won't fly with marketing, tho...

Originally Posted by number 9
It's suprising to hear some folks claim to be die hard manual freaks but are now loving this auto blip feature. I had it turned on only once by mistake and I'll not be pressing this again on purpose. Hate it personally. Why push the easy button so everyone thinks you know how to make race car sounds? We cruise around in a brand new $100k car and most of us seem to need a button! Why not get in touch with your new car and learn how to heel/ toe for real? Earn it. No wonder the crowd on the gt3 forum is ragging on us over our angst about deviated stitches, lol.
Exactly my thoughts!! Looks like we're similarly old school, and similarly obsolete with our preferences

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
where are you located?
I'm in Hong Kong.

p.s. Thick-skulled as I may be, I do get the autoblipper... it's factually superior to any manual attempts of the 99%, myself included... and i have an autoblipper installed in the cup too But the thrill of driving is largely about creating an experience out of imperfect inputs. Take the imperfection away, where's the fun?

Last edited by CRex; 11-10-2015 at 04:49 AM.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:27 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Certainly that is your opinion. I have yet to find a manual Porsche that is not set up perfectly for heel and toe.

Couple of factors here (for me).
Has PCCB so it just happens the position is different and the height matches perfect.
Sport mode so more sensitive accel pedal so effort is less and don't need to excessively roll the foot.
Size 13 Nike free run shoes help and I can feel the pedals. Other times I go bare foot and really enjoy the blipping. Can over blip it too to get the occasional gun shot sound.

BTW, anybody noticed the blipper in the GT4 will hold the revs exact for up to about 2 seconds while the clutch is in? So if you are a slooooww shifter, it will work for you!
Old 11-10-2015, 07:25 AM
Ochocoronas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
The GT4 has a single throttle map, period. Sport Chrono gives you the dash clock, the laptimer app and a few more screens on your display (e.g. G-meter, shift indicator) - nothing else. The Sport button turns on autoblipping and electronically opens the thermostat in anticipation of sportier driving (i.e. you run cooler, even during cruise) - nothing else.

EDIT: What neanicu said.
Nothing else's? I beg to differ... What about the big ole smile on my face when I make 3 down shifts as fast as I can.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:51 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I learned how to H/T with my 997.1 GT3 I had for 3 yrs. I sold it this July for more than I bought it for even after mods like coolant pipe welding.
I had Rennline pedals with toe extension to help with the H/T. SRP also have pedals with toe extensions available. They said the Cayman choices work just fine with the GT4. Lots of surface finish options.
Good to have option to auto blip or not. It's the modern way.
Less stressful for those on the track going 120+ on the track having to brake, downshift with H/T, keeping the car balanced before going into slower corners. (997.1 GT3)
With my 991 GT3 no stress at all with H/T because no third pedal. (My GT4 arrives end of May 2016).
Old 11-10-2015, 08:55 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ochocoronas
Nothing else's? I beg to differ... What about the big ole smile on my face when I make 3 down shifts as fast as I can.
Well, SC also gets you lap trigger prep wiring in the car, but nobody seems to care about that piece of it.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:13 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

After several decades of driving manual transmission cars, including several Triumphs, I consider myself proficient at heel and toeing and enjoy that skill. However, I have to admit that the auto blip is both faster and better than I am. Plus, it's 100% consistent, more so than any human being.
Wait - you just described the arguments people make for PDK! You're half way to the dark side now.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:03 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Wait - you just described the arguments people make for PDK! You're half way to the dark side now.
There's a big difference between running a half marathon and sitting on your *** watching TV.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:36 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a big difference between running a half marathon and sitting on your *** watching TV.

Quick Reply: Autoblip... How to Disable??