Sponsored by: APR

Autoblip... How to Disable??

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 05:26 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts
Question Autoblip... How to Disable??

Is there a way to nix the stupid Rev-match in Sport Mode without disabling SC/TC? This engine begs to be driven in Sport, but the rev-match is a complete killjoy. And for street use, there's no wisdom in driving without the protection of traction aids...

Pointers appreciated...
Old 11-09-2015, 05:38 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 144 Likes on 78 Posts

AFAIK, "Sport" button (almost*) exclusively controls auto rev matching. It doesn't effect SC/TC or change the engine mapping in anyway, so just don't enable "Sport" mode if you don't want auto rev matching.

* it also effects how/when the third radiator is being engaged.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:06 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I read somewhere that the auto blipper is called "Sport" because it would have taken much legal time to change it to "auto blip" or something to that effect on the button. As far as I know as well, the only function it does is blip.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:35 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I can see how it's possible to assume that SC is disabled by the Sport button if you were to drive normally, hit the Sport button, and then start driving hard. The slip angles are pretty generous with SC engaged, which could make you think it may have been turned off.

As others have said though, it's fully engaged.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:01 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
I read somewhere that the auto blipper is called "Sport" because it would have taken much legal time to change it to "auto blip" or something to that effect on the button. As far as I know as well, the only function it does is blip.
It was branding, not legal, but yes -- well, maybe a bit of legal due to trademark checks and the like. But basically Porsche's brand management team spent a bunch of time obsessing over what cool name to give their implementation of auto-blip, and since this feature was added late in the GT4's design anyway, there wasn't a lot of time to spare, so AP eventually just said, "Screw it, we're mapping this function to the Sport button whose name you've already approved elsewhere since the GT4 won't need what that button normally does on those other models."
Old 11-09-2015, 02:05 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 608 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
Is there a way to nix the stupid Rev-match in Sport Mode without disabling SC/TC? This engine begs to be driven in Sport, but the rev-match is a complete killjoy. And for street use, there's no wisdom in driving without the protection of traction aids... Pointers appreciated...
where are you located?
Old 11-09-2015, 03:37 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

I tried the auto blip for a while! Very annoying. So used to heel toeing that I blipped and the car blipped at the same time. Turned it of shortly after.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:46 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
I tried the auto blip for a while! Very annoying. So used to heel toeing that I blipped and the car blipped at the same time. Turned it of shortly after.
Hmm, I didn't notice that behavior. I always physically blip the throttle out of habit too, but when auto-blip was enabled, the car seemed to ignore my throttle input while the clutch was in. When I turned it off, I realized that I need to get used to applying a much smaller blip to match revs in this car than in my M3 even when I had the latter in its Sport throttle mapping. Oh well, part of the fun of learning something new.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:51 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
Hmm, I didn't notice that behavior. I always physically blip the throttle out of habit too, but when auto-blip was enabled, the car seemed to ignore my throttle input while the clutch was in. When I turned it off, I realized that I need to get used to applying a much smaller blip to match revs in this car than in my M3 even when I had the latter in its Sport throttle mapping. Oh well, part of the fun of learning something new.
More than anything it just surprised me when it happened. I only drove the car for half a day. If it would have been my car I would've definitely got used to it. And to be honest. The computer is better than me at heel toeing................
Old 11-09-2015, 04:17 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 94 Posts

I love auto-blip and yeah, OP, leave the sport button off and problem solved.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:27 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,114 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
I love auto-blip and yeah, OP, leave the sport button off and problem solved.
Me too, especially since I suck at heel-toe.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:35 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 89 Posts

But it makes the NOOOIISE!
Old 11-09-2015, 04:52 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Doesn't it also affect the engine cooling somehow? that means it is a little more than just auto blip.

I enable it all the time. I am the worst heel and toer, and I gotta feel it is less stress on the motor to have perfectly matched downshifts every single time.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:00 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

The thermostat in these cars works by duty cycle in a closed loop system. In other words to understand,the computer demands it 70%,80%,perhaps even 100% duty cycle open when the Sport mode is activated. That's why you are seeing lower coolant temps. I am personally not a fan at all of the complication this system entails. The computer can't control efficiently a mechanical device that works on spring tension and it will fail. Just look on the 991 GT3 board,dealers around the World are changing thermostats like they do oil changes.
Other than the above,the Sport mode activates Auto blip,that's it!
Old 11-09-2015, 06:11 PM
9001rpm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishAndy
The slip angles are pretty generous with SC engaged, which could make you think it may have been turned off.

As others have said though, it's fully engaged.
Agreed, you still need to be on the ball with all the nannies engadged. This is my take after wet weather testing at the track...

The car looks at throttle position, steering angle, yaw, and if it sees you are in control it will let you slide the car a lot (even with the nannies on). If it thinks you don't "got it" then it will step in abruptly.

Turn off ESC but leave TC on it allows for a lot, and I mean a whole lot, of slip. Be on the ball!

Turn everything off and you need be on your A game in the wet or dry.

As mentioned the Sport button does not affect the ESC or TC. It simply controls the blip on downshift and thermostat.

This small teaser video was shot to demonstrate how much slip you can get with all the nannies on. (ignore the music if it is not to your liking)... More track footage and a review of how the different modes operate is coming later today.

Quick Reply: Autoblip... How to Disable??