Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Autoblip... How to Disable??

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 06:36 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 105 Posts

Auto rev match I want to make it permanently on!!!
Old 11-09-2015, 06:36 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 9001rpm
Agreed, you still need to be on the ball with all the nannies engadged. This is my take after wet weather testing at the track...

The car looks at throttle position, steering angle, yaw, and if it sees you are in control it will let you slide the car a lot (even with the nannies on). If it thinks you don't "got it" then it will step in abruptly.

Turn off ESC but leave TC on it allows for a lot, and I mean a whole lot, of slip. Be on the ball!

Turn everything off and you need be on your A game in the wet or dry.

As mentioned the Sport button does not affect the ESC or TC. It simply controls the blip on downshift and thermostat.

This small teaser video was shot to demonstrate how much slip you can get with all the nannies on. (ignore the music if it is not to your liking)... More track footage and a review of how the different modes operate is coming later today.
Very cool! Can't wait to see the full video!
Old 11-09-2015, 06:43 PM
number 9
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that auto blip is thrown in to desensitize the rest of us old-school manual guy so we might more willingly wrap around PDK in the future

It's suprising to hear some folks claim to be die hard manual freaks but are now loving this auto blip feature. I had it turned on only once by mistake and I'll not be pressing this again on purpose. Hate it personally. Why push the easy button so everyone thinks you know how to make race car sounds? We cruise around in a brand new $100k car and most of us seem to need a button! Why not get in touch with your new car and learn how to heel/ toe for real? Earn it. No wonder the crowd on the gt3 forum is ragging on us over our angst about deviated stitches, lol.

I say this all in jest of course (sort of), don't want to upset anybody with sensitive feelings over their sport button
The following users liked this post:
MarbleNY (04-16-2020)
Old 11-09-2015, 07:46 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by number 9
It's suprising to hear some folks claim to be die hard manual freaks but are now loving this auto blip feature. I had it turned on only once by mistake and I'll not be pressing this again on purpose. Hate it personally. Why push the easy button so everyone thinks you know how to make race car sounds? We cruise around in a brand new $100k car and most of us seem to need a button! Why not get in touch with your new car and learn how to heel/ toe for real? Earn it. No wonder the crowd on the gt3 forum is ragging on us over our angst about deviated stitches, lol.

I say this all in jest of course (sort of), don't want to upset anybody with sensitive feelings over their sport button
Meh, I know how to heel 'n toe just fine. Also, couldn't give a rodent's patoot about impressing bystanders with my mad skillz (most would just assume it's some form of PDK in any case). Regardless, I love the autoblipper, since it sounds awesome. It makes me smile and that puts me in touch with my car just fine.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:04 PM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Meh, I know how to heel 'n toe just fine. Also, couldn't give a rodent's patoot about impressing bystanders with my mad skillz (most would just assume it's some form of PDK in any case). Regardless, I love the autoblipper, since it sounds awesome. It makes me smile and that puts me in touch with my car just fine.
Same here.
Been H&T the old Cayman every day on track and the street. Nobody ever said nice blipping. But a lot say NICE EXHAUST (Capristo in open mode).

Sure I can H&T while trail braking around a corner all at the same time. Its not easy but you would be hard pressed on a track day to do this 200 times without making a small error.

Also I dont think the GT4 is set up very good for a manual H&T, IMO the accel pedel is not sensitive enough for this, unlike older 987.2 with sport mode is about perfect, IMO.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:10 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by GAZZ
Also I dont think the GT4 is set up very good for a manual H&T, IMO the accel pedel is not sensitive enough for this, unlike older 987.2 with sport mode is about perfect, IMO.
Certainly that is your opinion. I have yet to find a manual Porsche that is not set up perfectly for heel and toe.

Last edited by neanicu; 08-31-2016 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:16 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After several decades of driving manual transmission cars, including several Triumphs, I consider myself proficient at heel and toeing and enjoy that skill. However, I have to admit that the auto blip is both faster and better than I am. Plus, it's 100% consistent, more so than any human being.

I sometimes push sport for entertainment on the street, but expect I'll run in sport on the track as a happy middle ground between the speed and unfailing accuracy of PDK and the enjoyment of a manual. Besides, if you want the added cooling, you have to take the auto blip, absent a software hack.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:38 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 102 Posts

OK, so what does the Sport Chrono do besides the clock and app? Does hitting the Sport Plus button change the throttle mapping? Does it blip and burble more? My SA thinks it's important for resale (couldn't agree more with a PDK!) and when he drove a GT4 he said there was a more responsive throttle and more enhanced rev-matching. Do I need Sport Chrono if I don't want to use the app and don't care for the clock? Thanks!
Old 11-09-2015, 08:39 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by number 9
I think that auto blip is thrown in to desensitize the rest of us old-school manual guy so we might more willingly wrap around PDK in the future
That's funny you should mention that. It's so easy to get sucked into using something automated once you know it's there. It is a temptation

I have to say I'm with you on the whole heel n toe thing to some extent. Yes, it's faster and more efficient, but so is PDK. Do I want that? Nope. That's exactly why I got this car. To each there own, though.

Three very specific use cases where the auto-blip can be used selectively IMO without fear of turning to the dark side:
1- Run in. I don't heel n toe perfectly, and sometimes I get it plain wrong. The auto-blip presumably provides maximum mechanical sympathy at a time when you're trying to bed in the drivetrain with maximum respect.
2- Learning to heel n toe. Sometimes it's nice to hear what the computer does and then try to mimic it (as much as is feasible)
3- Off mornings. I found it useful occasionally for early in the morning when sometimes I just seem to have two left feet. Sometimes my manual blips are way off until my head wakes up.

Personally I choose to leave well alone outside of the above, but that's a personal choice. Trying to do something perfectly yourself, failing, and then trying all over again is part of the interaction that I crave with this and other manual cars.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:49 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Carcam
OK, so what does the Sport Chrono do besides the clock and app? Does hitting the Sport Plus button change the throttle mapping? Does it blip and burble more? My SA thinks it's important for resale (couldn't agree more with a PDK!) and when he drove a GT4 he said there was a more responsive throttle and more enhanced rev-matching. Do I need Sport Chrono if I don't want to use the app and don't care for the clock? Thanks!
So,you're basically saying you are not reading any of the posts on this forum.
Let me see if you'll answer this post. Perhaps you have me on ignore,in which case you will not see my posts.
Just kidding of course,but seriously,do you not read other people's posts?
Your SA doesn't know what he's talking about,as it's the case with most SAs.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:17 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

No neanicu, I would never ignore you. And as soon as I posted this I saw another thread about SC... So I get the autoblip with the Sport button and without SC but does it enhance the throttle response? Not that it matters. I realize now that it's a $2k clock if you don't use the track apps. I ordered my GT4 Friday and dropped the SC because of what I read here and my SA insisted I added it back. I have until December before it's locked so I'm second guessing every order decision (should I change my color?), etc.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:22 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bk_911
Auto rev match I want to make it permanently on!!!
Not sure if this will work with the GT4 given the different function of the Sport button here, but in case you weren't aware of this: http://t-design9.com/sport_mode_mod.html.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:26 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Carcam
No neanicu, I would never ignore you. And as soon as I posted this I saw another thread about SC... So I get the autoblip with the Sport button and without SC but does it enhance the throttle response? Not that it matters. I realize now that it's a $2k clock if you don't use the track apps. I ordered my GT4 Friday and dropped the SC because of what I read here and my SA insisted I added it back. I have until December before it's locked so I'm second guessing every order decision (should I change my color?), etc.
Here's my post about the Sport button :

Originally Posted by neanicu
The thermostat in these cars works by duty cycle in a closed loop system. In other words to understand,the computer demands it 70%,80%,perhaps even 100% duty cycle open when the Sport mode is activated. That's why you are seeing lower coolant temps. I am personally not a fan at all of the complication this system entails. The computer can't control efficiently a mechanical device that works on spring tension and it will fail. Just look on the 991 GT3 board,dealers around the World are changing thermostats like they do oil changes. Other than the above,the Sport mode activates Auto blip,that's it!
The Sport button does not influence throttle response in any way shape or form.
The Sport Chrono adds the center clock,Track precision app and a few features like the Gear shift assist. That's it! IT DOES NOT MODIFY THROTTLE RESPONSE and IT CERTAINTLY DOES NOT ADD PERFORMANCE PARTS LIKE THE ADAPTIVE ENGINE MOUNTS! Those come standard in this car.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:28 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The GT4 has a single throttle map, period. Sport Chrono gives you the dash clock, the laptimer app and a few more screens on your display (e.g. G-meter, shift indicator) - nothing else. The Sport button turns on autoblipping and electronically opens the thermostat in anticipation of sportier driving (i.e. you run cooler, even during cruise) - nothing else.

EDIT: What neanicu said.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:44 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Thanks neanicu and DeerHunter. I get it now and my SA was wrong- whew. Just saved some bucks. (sorry deer hunter)

Quick Reply: Autoblip... How to Disable??