Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Gearbox oil change at break-in 1K too?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 05:43 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Gearbox oil change at break-in 1K too?

Apologies if this has been mentioned one way or the other, but out of the many occasions I've seen where people have suggested a break-in oil change around 1K miles and regular gearbox oil changes at 10K intervals for cars that see track time, I haven't seen anyone say whether changing the gearbox oil change after the 1K break-in along with the engine oil would be worthwhile. I only ask because on M cars, the 1200-mile service includes a gearbox oil change on manual transmission cars, so I wondered if the same thinking might apply here. Any thoughts from long-time Porsche owners?
Old 11-08-2015, 06:30 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
Apologies if this has been mentioned one way or the other, but out of the many occasions I've seen where people have suggested a break-in oil change around 1K miles and regular gearbox oil changes at 10K intervals for cars that see track time, I haven't seen anyone say whether changing the gearbox oil change after the 1K break-in along with the engine oil would be worthwhile. I only ask because on M cars, the 1200-mile service includes a gearbox oil change on manual transmission cars, so I wondered if the same thinking might apply here. Any thoughts from long-time Porsche owners?
This actually sounds like good common sense, because if there are metal shavings in the engine oil from breaking the engine in, logic dictates that there would probably be metal shavings in the transmission oil.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:06 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Agreed - I am at 800 miles +/- as of today and plan to do this as I approach 1,000 miles. Oil, Filters and transmission fluid. I do this on all my cars, trucks, SUV's etc.

Cheap insurance.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:20 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by supercup
Agreed - I am at 800 miles +/- as of today and plan to do this as I approach 1,000 miles. Oil, Filters and transmission fluid. I do this on all my cars, trucks, SUV's etc.

Cheap insurance.
Why filters? I can't think why they would be abnormally clogged after the first 1K miles compared to subsequent usage.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:27 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Why filters? I can't think why they would be abnormally clogged after the first 1K miles compared to subsequent usage.
Why not - probably overkill but only hurts in the pocket book.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:31 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by supercup
Why not - probably overkill but only hurts in the pocket book.
The pocketbook is why. It's not like an extra filter set would send me to the poorhouse, but I don't see the merit in replacing parts without even a reasonable belief that it might do some good. The oils make sense because driveline components shed more metal early on, so there's a case to be made for cleaning their lubricating fluids out early, but I can't think of an analogous situation for filters.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:09 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Does anyone know what the ballpark figure for a transmission old change at the dealer? I remember the DIY for the 987 change was fairly involved.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:55 PM
soupy
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 23 Posts

I thought BMW M cars got rid of the 1200mi break-in change once the e90 M3 showed up. It's also about then when the BMW "free" maintenance began and the interval to change it went to 30k miles so feel free to make your conclusions from that.

I personally think it's overkill and since it isn't in any published service schedule from Porsche I won't bother; makes more sense to me if it was a PDK. If the car is going to do 75%+ track duty then sure, all your fluids are gonna need flushing often regardless. Final answer for me is "it depends" I guess .
Old 11-08-2015, 09:22 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by soupy
I thought BMW M cars got rid of the 1200mi break-in change once the e90 M3 showed up. It's also about then when the BMW "free" maintenance began and the interval to change it went to 30k miles so feel free to make your conclusions from that.

I personally think it's overkill and since it isn't in any published service schedule from Porsche I won't bother; makes more sense to me if it was a PDK. If the car is going to do 75%+ track duty then sure, all your fluids are gonna need flushing often regardless. Final answer for me is "it depends" I guess .
NON-M cars lost the 1200-mile service and the oil change interval went to 15K -- but it has since been dropped back to 10K as of a certain production date, even though the cars themselves didn't change along with the maintenance interval change -- and identical cars with earlier production dates did not get the new interval applied to them. Draw your conclusions from THAT.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:44 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 70 Posts

I think for M cars at least this was this case for my 2014 M5 the LSD fluid needs to be changed after break in 1200miles as well as transmission fluid for 5 speed but not DCT. Engine oil not changed.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:50 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by JPMD
I think for M cars at least this was this case for my 2014 M5 the LSD fluid needs to be changed after break in 1200miles as well as transmission fluid for 5 speed but not DCT. Engine oil not changed.
No, the engine oil is definitely supposed to be changed at 1200 miles on the F8x M5/6. If yours wasn't, you should have some stern words with your dealership because a missed or incorrect 1200-mile service is grounds for voiding the warranty on parts that could be affected by that.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:03 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 70 Posts

No, the engine oil is definitely supposed to be changed at 1200 miles on the F8x M5/6. If yours wasn't, you should have some stern words with your dealership because a missed or incorrect 1200-mile service is grounds for voiding the warranty on parts that could be affected by that.
Wow ok it was a while ago I'll pull my service records tomorrow to make sure and check the service manual. Not sure why but somewhere I recall there may have been difference "US" cars.

Thanks
Old 11-09-2015, 10:44 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 120 Likes on 84 Posts

10k gearbox interval on track? You kidding me? Half a dozen track weekends. No more.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:51 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by GTgears
10k gearbox interval on track? You kidding me? Half a dozen track weekends. No more.
Sorry, should have been more specific. I didn't mean 10K track miles, just 10K miles if there is any track mileage in there. But half a dozen track weekends will probably take me right around 10K total miles to reach anyway, so that interval should work out for me.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:08 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 120 Likes on 84 Posts

Sorry, should have been more specific. I didn't mean 10K track miles, just 10K miles if there is any track mileage in there. But half a dozen track weekends will probably take me right around 10K total miles to reach anyway, so that interval should work out for me.

That's kind of how it has always worked out for me. On average 1 year of driving AND track use. I just know that some guys around here are real junkies. Just this morning I talked to a guy who is getting 2 dozen events a year in his GT3. Must be nice to have so much free time to play.

Quick Reply: Gearbox oil change at break-in 1K too?