Sponsored by: APR

LWB's and the wife

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 05:11 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick1
I think we are all forgetting the big picture here.
When you buy a GT4 or any car for that matter, you are buying a car, first and foremost that comes with seats, you are not buying seats that happen to come with a car.
Pretty simple.
The car=primary, seats=secondary.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:32 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by logan2z
I don't understand the endless bickering over the GT4 seats. Choose the seats that allow you to extract the most enjoyment from the car - period. I wouldn't spend over $100K on a car and spec it with seats that make me miserable just for the street cred.

Most people that buy the GT4, buy it to track it. They don't buy it for street credit. LWB seats give you a factory look with factory airbags and safety with the ability to run a harness.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:34 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Maverick1
I think we are all forgetting the big picture here.
When you buy a GT4 or any car for that matter, you are buying a car, first and foremost that comes with seats, you are not buying seats that happen to come with a car.
Pretty simple.
The car=primary, seats=secondary.
Silly logic. A car is a complete package. Thats like saying why buy a GT4 ovee a GTS. The GTS comes with an engine, brakes and suspension. Bucket seats are just another distiguishing factor that separates GT cars.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:49 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Other than looking cool, I have yet to run into one person that thinks these seats are comfortable other than when on the track and not thinking about it.
I have the 996 GT3 Euro buckets in my 6gt3 and had them previously in my Boxster, too. They are far more comfortable, more appropriate and preferable to any sofa seat for the type of driving I do with my fun/sport cars (twisty back-roads, track). I've run into many others with the same opinion. I would agree that buckets would be out of place in a Panamera, BMW 5/7, MB E/S, or a Caddy.

OP, replace passenger LWB with a used sofa => happy wife.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:07 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

PCA requires equal seats and equal restraints for both driver and passenger, so replacing passenger LWB is a non starter as I intend to track it next season.

Last edited by Qwickrick; 10-25-2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:10 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
What we need are less trolls on this forum and less people who feel the need to defend why they got sofas every chance they get. We get it! You guys chose to get confort seats in a GT car.
And what we really need are less trolls on this forum taking every opportunity to post pejorative, snide, and sophomoric commentary about the personal choices made by others in optioning their cars. The incessant posts (just in this thread alone) are prime examples of what we don't need, so I wouldn't cast stones if I were you. And, you're certainly not alone. Such posts add nothing of value to RL and are just plain arrogant. Collectively, we need to grow up.

Why does anyone here get off on denigrating someone else because of their seat choice? I really don't get it. Maybe it's because I don't give a **** what seat an owner has in these most amazing cars.

End of Rant
Old 10-25-2015, 07:18 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Qwickrick
PCA requires equal seats and equal restraints for both driver and passenger, so replacing passenger LWB is a non starter
Ouch, forgot about that. Then custom, cushier cushions seem to be the next best thing.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:23 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Lol! Here is what I've come to accept with the seats:

You CANNOT take ANYONE'S word for how comfortable or uncomfortable the seats are. You need to try them out for yourself because everyone's physique and tolerances are different.

There are plenty who find them totally comfortable and plenty who find them uncomfortable.

If you've never sat in them for a long test drive, then you can't talk.

With that said, I personally won't take a car without the buckets. Tried it once and was miserable without them.

+1

Personally my wife and I both find the seats very comfortable. My 11yo son isn't a fan because every time I accelerate hard the back of his head hits the hard plastic piece in the backrest. When he gets a little taller that will no longer be an issue.

Overall I would say 80% of the people who have sat in and gone for rides have found the seats extremely comfortable, the other 20% find them very difficult to get into/out of and or don't fit within the limited width of the seats.

Like Joe, I wouldn't get a new Porsche without them with exception to the Cayenne, Panamera and Macan.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:34 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 89 Posts

Silly logic. A car is a complete package. Thats like saying why buy a GT4 ovee a GTS. The GTS comes with an engine, brakes and suspension. Bucket seats are just another distiguishing factor that separates GT cars.
If that were true, it would come standard.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:49 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by konaforever
If that were true, it would come standard.
They are on the GT3 RS. There is a reason for that
Old 10-25-2015, 08:07 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

They are on the GT3 RS. There is a reason for that
They were standard on the original Spyder too....just sayin.

But seriously, they aren't for everyone and Porsche that's why Porsche offers us options.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:12 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Most people that buy the GT4, buy it to track it. They don't buy it for street credit. LWB seats give you a factory look with factory airbags and safety with the ability to run a harness.
You may have misunderstood what I meant by "street cred". Maybe "forum cred" would have been more clear.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:14 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Qwickrick
PCA requires equal seats and equal restraints for both driver and passenger, so replacing passenger LWB is a non starter
But if you bought the car to enjoy exclusively on the street (and it seems some people have) then PCA rules are moot.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:27 PM
3point9liters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

this thread is actually quite boring.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:49 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by logan2z
But if you bought the car to enjoy exclusively on the street (and it seems some people have) then PCA rules are moot.
I bought the car as a"arrive and drive" track car, and will not be my daily driver. However, it's way too much fun to drive to leave it in the garage.

Car will have roll bar, harnesses, stainless brake lines, suspension tweaks, Pagids etc in time for next season.

Quick Reply: LWB's and the wife