Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Dealer tech clueless on GT4 alignment...need help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 01:37 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dealer tech clueless on GT4 alignment...need help.

To start with I had to call the tech before he put my GT4 on the rack and explain to him that he was to max out camber in the rear to the point before it ran out of correct toe adjustment/setting. Then to set the front camber to -0.5* more than rear camber. So if max rear camber was -1.5* the front camber should be -2.0* I requested factory toe front and rear. He admitted they have never done a GT4 alignment before (this was probably my warning to stop), BUT he seemed to know all about the need for shims and toe links for big negative camber when I talked to him.

Everything I've read here on Rennlist says this is a perfectly reasonable request on a stock GT4 WITHOUT needing shims or rear toe links.

The dealership claims they have NO clue how others are getting my requested camber without shims and wants me to pay $285 plus labor for the shims. I said no way. It is my understanding that the shims are pointless without the rear toe links.

Below is the alignment they gave me and claimed they could not do any more without additional parts and charged me $319 to do. I feel like they deliberately set the front camber low in order to try to force me to buy the shims (that they had already ordered on my behalf without asking me first).

I am not happy and ready to dispute this with my CC and the service department. But I wanted to cool off and double check with the experts on Rennlist that I'm not crazy.

Thanks in advance guys!

*(I didn't post the before alignment info because it was almost the same as the after...)

Old 10-11-2015, 02:53 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,381 Likes on 840 Posts

I have to call BS. If they cannot achieve factory settings then its a warranty issue with parts required (the car comes will 2 shims each OEM AFAIK). The spec calls for 1.5 front OEM.
Plus from the numbers posted they appeared to rush it IMHO.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:13 PM
user1029
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 278 Posts

$319 for alignment talk about getting raked over the coals

AND they are incompetent.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:29 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,189 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by user1029
$319 for alignment talk about getting raked over the coals

AND they are incompetent.
No thats the Santa Barbara/Montecito discount. Twice list +20%. carl
Old 10-11-2015, 04:22 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenner
.[B] He admitted they have never done a GT4 alignment before (this was probably my warning to stop)[/

Everything I've read here on Rennlist says this is a perfectly reasonable request on a stock GT4 WITHOUT needing shims or rear toe links.

The dealership claims they have NO clue how others are getting my requested camber without shims and wants me to pay $285 plus labor for the shims. I said no way. It is my understanding that the shims are pointless without the rear toe links.

Below is the alignment they gave me and claimed they could not do any more without additional parts and charged me $319 to do. I feel like they deliberately set the front camber low in order to try to force me to buy the shims (that they had already ordered on my behalf without asking me first).
]
??? Unless you are in Weissach, adjusting the GT4 will be a first for any P technician!

Do people really think like this??? You are thinking that a $20 per hr tech is trying to sell you some plastic parts so he made up some elaborate lie to con you into it. Really???
Old 10-11-2015, 04:37 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,381 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
??? Unless you are in Weissach, adjusting the GT4 will be a first for any P technician!
BS

Its a business and the tech does as he is told, scheduled, etc.

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Do people really think like this??? You are thinking that a $20 per hr tech is trying to sell you some plastic parts so he made up some elaborate lie to con you into it. Really???
AFAIK and have read on forums that is the forte of salesman, service advisors to increase their take home pay, not techs.

Really now?????
Old 10-11-2015, 05:18 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

OP - sorry to hear this. IMO the overall alignment process and parts are not much different than Porsche's other recent (996 & 997) GT cars. I would also call BS and ask for my money back. Also try to find a local shop that has done GT3 track alignments.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:29 PM
4carl
Race Car

Its really no different than a normal 981 with the exception of the option of adding shims in the control arms to get additional camber after the normal range is maxed out. carl
Old 10-11-2015, 05:31 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

If I didn't want PCNA to know I was taking my brand new car to the track I sure wouldn't take it to the dealer for alignment.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:37 PM
4carl
Race Car

I would leave the rear alone and make sure they slid the top of the front strut all the way in. You should be able to get about -1.9 -2.0 without front shims.

An easy way to check if they actually did max the front is remove one of the three nuts at the top of the strut and make sure its pushed all the way in . carl
Attached Images  
Old 10-11-2015, 08:39 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Thanks Carl but mine looks the same as yours I believe....unless the entire strut is supposed to be rotated? (don't know if that is even possible I didn't measure)
Horrible paint arrow:

On the sales side most of my transaction was with the GM who gave me a $2000 discount and I've bought over 20 Audi's and Porsche's from in the last 15 years. The final part(including the alignment) was through a sales manager who may have been looking to make up that discount. I was stunned at the cost considering I had just paid half that at the same dealership for an Audi and had good results. It was late on Saturday, service was closed and I was eager to be on my way(possibly all things they were counting on...)

Yes Matttheboatman I DO expect for $320 they know WTF they are doing. I don't care if it is their first. It's still a car with normal suspension at the end of the day and by now the techs certainly have no excuse for not having been trained. They know I've tracked every Porsche I've bought from them and have never had an issue. I do want to know if I am justified in complaining about the service performed vs the price I paid and it seems that I am.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:05 PM
4carl
Race Car

looks like its all the way in. I would get it on another machine or measure it yourself. Should be able to get -1.9 in the front . Just did mine last week . i remember on my 996 GT3 you could rotate the strut but i don't think thats an option on the 4. carl
Old 10-11-2015, 09:19 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 131 Posts

What was the front camber before the alignment? It does look like they moved the strut.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:22 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vantage
What was the front camber before the alignment? It does look like they moved the strut.
-1°24' LF -1°22' RF
Old 10-11-2015, 11:42 PM
johnr265
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Every car is different, even among the same model. It is possible that you do need extra shims to get the camber you are seeking. I would not necessarily say they are ripping you off. As for the cost, a good custom alignment does cost more than a regular street alignment. I pay usually between 300-500 from a good race shop (non-dealer) depending on whether they are corner balancing or not and it can actually take them 3-5 hours if they are doing it right.

As for shims, the Porsche parts are absurdly expensive. You can get same shims from Tarret for between $10 and 32 per shim.

http://www.tarett.com/items/986-987-...him-detail.htm

I think the Porsche parts are 2-3 times that cost.

All that being said, my car goes in for alignment tomorrow so I may have another data point for you soon.

Quick Reply: Dealer tech clueless on GT4 alignment...need help.