Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Dealer tech clueless on GT4 alignment...need help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 04:09 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

If you are going the shim route, you are going to need toe arms and adjustable caster pucks. Just call BGB, they will get you everything you need.

The lower control arm is angled forward, so if you make it longer (with shims), it pushes the wheel further forward into the wheel well. The caster will improve a bit, but the tire will rub. To fix this, you need an adjustable caster puck which will give you another degree of freedom to get the lower control arm angled a bit further back.

My CAD wings have been clipped, so here is a quick power point block diagram of what I mean...not to scale

Name:  caster.jpg
Views: 1625
Size:  247.5 KB
Old 12-26-2015, 04:14 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,381 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
If you are going the shim route, you are going to need toe arms and adjustable caster pucks. Just call BGB, they will get you everything you need.

The lower control arm is angled forward, so if you make it longer (with shims), it pushes the wheel further forward into the wheel well. The caster will improve a bit, but the tire will rub. To fix this, you need an adjustable caster puck which will give you another degree of freedom to get the lower control arm angled a bit further back.

My CAD wings have been clipped, so here is a quick power point block diagram of what I mean...not to scale

Attachment 1004902
Great help for those that can't visualize it right away.

+1
Old 12-26-2015, 10:18 PM
9972RS
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

What about using adjustable compression links? Which are more preferable?

http://www.teambgb.com/Tarett-RSR-Te...tarett_tcl.htm
Old 12-26-2015, 11:48 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

That's an even better option than the pucks (145ea) - but twice as much (305ea).

Positive is longer range of adjustability (I think, tarret would know better....) and perfect precision. Downside is the spherical that will eventually rattle. But - having no experience with how long, or how this will feel, I don't see this as a downside.

Last edited by ShakeNBake; 12-27-2015 at 01:23 AM.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:02 AM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Very interesting topic.
May I ask what tyre you have?

I believe the difference between Dunlop and Michelin plays a part as well.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:38 AM
johnr265
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

can someone confirm that you can rotate the top mounts to achieve a bit more camber? My shop was not confident it was possible, and asked around without getting any definitive info on the subject, so we went with shims and caster pucks.
No, unlike the GT3's in the past where rotating the strut top to different screw holes allowed you to get higher negative camber, you cannot do that on the GT4. BTW, love your drawings showing the added castor. Rotating the strut on the old GT3 didn't add any caster but it also didn't widen the track width. Most folks did both. Never thought to change the thrust arm bushing though. Very clever.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:38 PM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing nobody is mentioning is ride height. Lowering the height will add positive camber. Maybe that is the missing variable. Dealer techs work flat rate btw, meaning a flat fee for the quoted job, and most don't know thier *** from thier elbow IMO.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:42 PM
steve0827
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 82 Posts

Sorry to hear about your dealer experience. Looks like you're in CT. If Fairfield isn't too far away from you, I highly recommend Porsche of Fairfield. If you'd like me to give you their lead tech's info feel free to pm me. Only person I trust with my cars and incoming GT4.

Hope everything gets sorted out!
Old 12-27-2015, 09:59 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by steve0827
Sorry to hear about your dealer experience. Looks like you're in CT. If Fairfield isn't too far away from you, I highly recommend Porsche of Fairfield. If you'd like me to give you their lead tech's info feel free to pm me. Only person I trust with my cars and incoming GT4.

Hope everything gets sorted out!
Gotta say that my experiences with Fairfield are the exact opposite. Terrible service. Never fixed anything correctly. Always late. No respect. Maybe they've changed. This was 2 years ago.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:04 PM
steve0827
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by aualexa2
Gotta say that my experiences with Fairfield are the exact opposite. Terrible service. Never fixed anything correctly. Always late. No respect. Maybe they've changed. This was 2 years ago.
I started using them 2 years ago, so I have no reference for comparison.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:51 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aualexa2
Mine are the same. I bought one car from them and never will again. Service was ok, but never had anything major done that wasn't covered via warranty. Also this was several years ago so perhaps things have changed but impressions last a lifetime...

Wallingford sorted it out in the end but the lesson here is don't use the dealer for track alignments.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:35 PM
2fnquik
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Attachment 1004902
Thank you!
Old 08-31-2016, 02:30 PM
drwuss
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just took my car to the dealer and had the same alignment as OP. I doubt that both our cars were built incorrectly to the same spec so I feel the issue is something simple like a missing shim. My car has one shim that is about 4~5mm thick. Someone here posted that the car should come with two shims. Does this mean total of 8~10mm of shims? I wonder how many or how large the shims were on the cars that were able to go to -2...
Old 08-31-2016, 07:46 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

I used a total of 44 mm shims to get -2.8 F and -2.4 R.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:42 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Attachment 1004902

Very helpful diagram. Well done and thank you.

Quick Reply: Dealer tech clueless on GT4 alignment...need help.