Rare Rhodium Silver delivered!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 01:25 AM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rare Rhodium Silver delivered!

rhodium silver in the dark and wet

My SA upgraded my partial front mask (at his personal cost) to a full front because the car arrived about 10 days later than what he had said when I agreed to buy the car.

35 mile drive home getting acclimated to the car. Dark at delivery and dark by the time I got home. More pictures tomorrow in daylight. initial impressions:
  • Lighting package is interesting - but not something I would spec
  • Contrasting door pulls good to have in the dark
  • Car feels big (my point of reference are my current S2000, prior NSX, prior 987 Spyder and even the Civic Si)
  • Since I didn't get to spec the car, I had to settle for the 2-way seats - while not as enveloping or cool looking as the LWBs, they are supportive enough for the street and probably even on the track (at least as much as my other cars except for the 987 Spyder's Sport Buckets)
  • Rattles - argh... over the left driver shoulder and somewhere in the passenger headliner above the windshield
  • Rear visibility is decent despite the rear wing splitting the view.
  • The exhaust is not as interesting sounding as the GTS's PSE overrun
  • The steering is a bit lighter than I'd like though it's precise and quick enough
  • Road/exhaust/engine noise in the cabin is a bit more than I expected - though it's not much more than a 981S I tested a few months ago.
  • All the power and torque is not very usable on the street
  • The shifter feels good but the S2000's and NSX's are still slightly better/shorter
  • Clutch feel is just right. Not heavy by any means - hardly any more so than a Cayman S and lighter than a 991S. Maybe a little bit heavier than my Civic Si and S2000. Similar to the NSX.
  • That parking e-brake operation is very counter-intuitive in it's operation but I guess I'll eventually get used to it.
  • The auto-blip is useless - much more engaging to heel-toe or blip myself.

Now I get the next 3-4 months to decide if I keep it or get the Spyder.

Does anyone know if the MPSS tires are quieter than the MPSC?
Old 10-03-2015, 03:50 AM
981GT4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to see that you finally took delivery.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:13 AM
Ochocoronas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sure is an ugly color ! No wonder it'so rare. If you think the GT4 has unusable power for the street go ahead and get you the Spyder minus all the aero, brakes, wheels, ect. Now what you have is a 2 speed convertible for the street. The Ebrake is a pain! When I 1st got mine I did not even know you could put on the seatbelt put it into gear and it would turn off automatically. As far as your tire question goes...yes the MPSS are much quieter and ride smoother. Once I decide what size wheel I am going to buy for AuotX/ track use that is what I am going to put on my GT4 wheels for around town driving.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:22 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Congratulation. Enjoy and look forward to more pictures.

MPSS is quieter than the cup 2 tires and are great in the rain. One comment regarding the auto-blip, although it is somewhat useless, it is kind of useful on the street, as usually I save heal-toe for the track or spirited driving but during city driving, it is nice to have it as it makes the shifting smoother when you don't want to heal-toe, and I found it easier to go into 1st, while it is engaged. Enjoy the car. Mark
Old 10-03-2015, 04:23 AM
9001rpm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! I introduced the GT4 to her older, Honda, sister was well. I agree with all your comments. The PSE may seems tame at first. I think your opinion will change as you get closer to break in .

Old 10-03-2015, 10:09 AM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Congrats and more pix please...
Old 10-03-2015, 10:30 AM
Smoltz
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by s2ktaxi

My SA upgraded my partial front mask (at his personal cost) to a full front because the car arrived about 10 days later than what he had said when I agreed to buy the car.

35 mile drive home getting acclimated to the car. Dark at delivery and dark by the time I got home. More pictures tomorrow in daylight. initial impressions:
  • Lighting package is interesting - but not something I would spec
  • Contrasting door pulls good to have in the dark
  • Car feels big (my point of reference are my current S2000, prior NSX, prior 987 Spyder and even the Civic Si)
  • Since I didn't get to spec the car, I had to settle for the 2-way seats - while not as enveloping or cool looking as the LWBs, they are supportive enough for the street and probably even on the track (at least as much as my other cars except for the 987 Spyder's Sport Buckets)
  • Rattles - argh... over the left driver shoulder and somewhere in the passenger headliner above the windshield
  • Rear visibility is decent despite the rear wing splitting the view.
  • The exhaust is not as interesting sounding as the GTS's PSE overrun
  • The steering is a bit lighter than I'd like though it's precise and quick enough
  • Road/exhaust/engine noise in the cabin is a bit more than I expected - though it's not much more than a 981S I tested a few months ago.
  • All the power and torque is not very usable on the street
  • The shifter feels good but the S2000's and NSX's are still slightly better/shorter
  • Clutch feel is just right. Not heavy by any means - hardly any more so than a Cayman S and lighter than a 991S. Maybe a little bit heavier than my Civic Si and S2000. Similar to the NSX.
  • That parking e-brake operation is very counter-intuitive in it's operation but I guess I'll eventually get used to it.
  • The auto-blip is useless - much more engaging to heel-toe or blip myself.

Now I get the next 3-4 months to decide if I keep it or get the Spyder.

Does anyone know if the MPSS tires are quieter than the MPSC?
Congrats! Let's see more pictures... Rhodium is a great color, surprised so few GT4s ordered in this color.

I assume when you say the lighting package, you mean the light design package. Why do you say it's something you wouldn't spec. I checked this box on my order because it was only a ~$350 but wasn't clear to me what I was getting with \ without it.

Steering weight is a funny thing. I remember when I got my Ferrari 360, I thought the steering was really light, but then you drive it for a while, and you realize that it's extremely precise and has tons of feedback and then you get in a BMW or Porsche and it just feels unnecessarily heavy. It's all relative, I am curious what you'll think after getting used to it a bit more.

Thanks for writing up feedback, always nice to read first impressions.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:54 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats S2! We'll welcome you back to the spyder fold with open arms
More pics!
Old 10-03-2015, 12:03 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 199 Likes on 119 Posts

1. My steering was too light until I drove the car hard and scrubbed the tires in properly. Dealer also set the tire pressure 3psi too high.

2. PSE fake exhaust burbles on non GT cars are nice for a test drive. After a while annoying IMO because it happens too much, I.e. With every lift.

3. PSS is definitely a quieter tire. MPSC2 will be quiet when new and then roar a bit as they suffer heat cycles and become harder.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:41 PM
KingSize.Hamster
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

^ agreed. Never a fan of the GTS exhaust. Just way too artificial ...
Old 10-03-2015, 07:24 PM
35Mugen
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Like you, I'm coming from an S2000 as my occasional weekend trackday car. I'm having difficulty deciding whether or not I should sell the S2000 and replace it with the Gt4.

I know, I sound crazy but my S2000 is one of the rarest colours and it 's all Mugen. If I sell it I could never buy another, it is literally one of a kind.

I'm hoping you could convince me that the GT4 is worth 3 times the fun of a one of a kind S2000. :thumb:

Here's a picture of the unicorn...

Context... I have an allocation for a SBM Gt4 with LWB
Old 10-03-2015, 08:45 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 9001rpm
Congrats! I introduced the GT4 to her older, Honda, sister was well. I agree with all your comments. The PSE may seems tame at first. I think your opinion will change as you get closer to break in .

Old 10-03-2015, 08:47 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 35Mugen
Like you, I'm coming from an S2000 as my occasional weekend trackday car. I'm having difficulty deciding whether or not I should sell the S2000 and replace it with the Gt4.

I know, I sound crazy but my S2000 is one of the rarest colours and it 's all Mugen. If I sell it I could never buy another, it is literally one of a kind.

I'm hoping you could convince me that the GT4 is worth 3 times the fun of a one of a kind S2000. :thumb:

Context... I have an allocation for a SBM Gt4 with LWB
If you have the room, keep the S2000.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:51 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

will eventually get some better photos with the real camera... for now, a Lumia 1020 image - color rendition is pretty accurate (at least on my laptop and monitor).
Old 10-03-2015, 09:20 PM
35Mugen
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by s2ktaxi
If you have the room, keep the S2000.
I was afraid that was the answer. The wifey will not approve of that answer. :Nono

Quick Reply: Rare Rhodium Silver delivered!