Sponsored by: APR

Frunk or Trunk temperature

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 11:25 PM
jshoffit
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frunk or Trunk temperature

We are heading out for Rennsport tomorrow and are taking two laptops. Wendy asked me which would be a cooler environment for our computers - rear trunk, behind the engine, over the exhaust, BUT with the cooled interior air; or the front trunk which is behind a radiator and no interior cooling, and next to road heat.

Has anyone determined if one is cooler or warmer than the other?

Thanks,

James Shoffit (just got my GT4 from Porsche Plano Saturday night.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:31 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 555 Posts

Frunk gets REALLY hot on the 911.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:05 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty hot James. Melted my ice cream and fish sticks effing Porsche.

Congrats on the GT4, can't think of a better way to break it in.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:00 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

With the GT3 front end, the front trunk will get much hotter than the rear hatch (which is air conditioned). After a spirited drive, the GT3 hood is almost too hot to open. I imagine the GT4 is similar.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:39 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 80 Posts

Put them in the rear trunk, but not directly on the bottom and they will be fine. Have a safe trip
Old 09-22-2015, 07:55 AM
Ajjra
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

GT4 Frunk also gets very hot, just like GT3.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:26 PM
bemmett
Instructor

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
With the GT3 front end, the front trunk will get much hotter than the rear hatch (which is air conditioned). After a spirited drive, the GT3 hood is almost too hot to open. I imagine the GT4 is similar.
Yep. This was the first thing I noticed when I got back from Tahoe in my GT4 this weekend. The frunk lid was quite toasty.

My previous 981CS frunk actually didn't get any hotter than ambient, but I presume the extra radiator and center air intake in the front apron are the reasons why the frunk is hotter in the GT4.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:28 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What accounts for the frunk getting so hot? Is it just the massive brakes and the radiators?

OP, given that you're dealing with presumably laptops, couldn't you just keep them in the passenger footwell, or maybe even on the floor behind the seats?
Old 09-22-2015, 01:45 PM
RocketGuy3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
What accounts for the frunk getting so hot? Is it just the massive brakes and the radiators?

OP, given that you're dealing with presumably laptops, couldn't you just keep them in the passenger footwell, or maybe even on the floor behind the seats?
Massive brakes should stay cooler if anything. It's a light car, too. Your brakes aren't going to get that hot in street driving. I guess it's just the radiator.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:51 PM
e46mike
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ajjra
It is perfect to keep your takeout warm on your way home.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:00 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajjra
+1 - picked up hot food on Sunday and put it up there - got it out when I got home and it was still very hot! Was 104 degrees outside and the front trunk was probably 120 degrees plus - the perfect warming oven!

I would put them inside where the cool air flows.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:05 PM
jphughan
Drifting

120 F is actually probably fine for laptops, especially if they're either shut down or asleep. The fans might fire up with a vengeance if you power them on immediately after pulling them out of the frunk, but it's not unusual for CPUs and GPUs to hit 190 F during operation, and spinning hard drives can easily handle 120 F, in fact Google's massive study revealed that higher operating temperatures even when sustained over the long term did not correlate very well with observed failure rates. The closest correlation was the number of platters in the drive itself. SSDs can go even higher. Granted the system needs cooler ambient temperatures for those components to exhaust their heat out to when operating at these temperatures, but that just goes back to making sure the system is shut down or asleep when being transported. The components can definitely handle those temperatures at rest.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:42 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Massive brakes should stay cooler if anything. It's a light car, too. Your brakes aren't going to get that hot in street driving. I guess it's just the radiator.
Well bigger brakes do indeed mean cooler brakes because the fixed amount of energy to stop the car can be distributed across a greater surface area, but that heat energy still gets vented somewhere, and I suppose the frunk area could be one such area -- but you're right, it wasn't correct to imply that bigger brakes mean more heat. I guess I was assuming harder braking people might be doing in this car that drove Porsche to equip it with bigger brakes in the first place. But I agree that brakes shouldn't get that hot under street driving. I guess I'm just surprised that the radiators give off as much heat as they do.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:24 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,079 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by e46mike
It is perfect to keep your takeout warm on your way home.
+1
Old 09-22-2015, 07:31 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

store your cookie dough in the front and when you get home you got fresh baked cookies. makes the car smell nice too

Quick Reply: Frunk or Trunk temperature