Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   GT4/Spyder (https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4-spyder-235/)
-   -   Australian GT4s (https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4-spyder/891511-australian-gt4s.html)

Paul Dortkamp 11-06-2020 01:28 AM

Introduction

Thought it polite to introduce myself. Prior to the 2016 GT4 had a 2006 Cayman S which I turned into a caged track car, if I had known 5 years ago that Porsche was bringing out the GT4 I would definitely not bothered spending the time and money on the Cayman S. At Challenge Bathurst in November 2018, I spun a bearing on Conrod Straight, and faced withe the prospect of no track car and an engine rebuild, purchased the GT4 in January 2019. Since then, I have done lots of track days and driver training mainly at SMSP. Car has been kept stock apart from wheels and tyres, My lap times have come down steadily, but still a long way to go to match my ability to the car. Best time so far is 1:47 without traffic and 1:48.3 with. So, will work on training the driver and different wheels and tyres. I look forward to swapping storied on this thead and the track. I will be at Bathurst in November for both Sprint and Regularity.

Paul Dortkamp 11-06-2020 01:40 AM

Want to buy: Factory Rear

I damaged a rear off-track and it is not reparable, if anyone would like to sell a factory rear please let me know. 981 362 166 81 JE1, 11 x 20 ET50. I have put off ordering one ex Germany while I check around locally. Fortunately this happened after I had the Warranty extension done recently.

Warwick Morris 11-06-2020 06:28 AM

We'll all see you at Bathurst Paul. re the Koya's, I have a set of 19" Koyas and they have had a lot of bends. Since I down-sized to 18" Koyas (with 997 RS/Cup front callipers) I have not had these problems. The smaller barrel circumference may may them stronger I guess.

Charliekay 11-06-2020 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris (Post 17008605)
We'll all see you at Bathurst Paul. re the Koya's, I have a set of 19" Koyas and they have had a lot of bends. Since I down-sized to 18" Koyas (with 997 RS/Cup front callipers) I have not had these problems. The smaller barrel circumference may may them stronger I guess.

Do you know anywhere I can get a set of front calipers to fit 18s? I have asked around but nothing available.

I damaged a rear recently and seeing if I can go 18s before I replace it.

Warwick Morris 11-06-2020 09:56 PM

Try asking PR. They got mine but straight from Porsche.

Charliekay 11-07-2020 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris (Post 17010066)
Try asking PR. They got mine but straight from Porsche.

Autohaus got a quote from Porsche but it is alot cheaper just to replaced the buckled wheel than get the calipers plus a set of 18s. If I could find use calipers then it would be an easier decision, the price of new calipers doesn't seem worth it tbh.

Snowman. 11-08-2020 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Dortkamp (Post 17008507)
Thought it polite to introduce myself. Prior to the 2016 GT4 had a 2006 Cayman S which I turned into a caged track car, if I had known 5 years ago that Porsche was bringing out the GT4 I would definitely not bothered spending the time and money on the Cayman S. At Challenge Bathurst in November 2018, I spun a bearing on Conrod Straight, and faced withe the prospect of no track car and an engine rebuild, purchased the GT4 in January 2019. Since then, I have done lots of track days and driver training mainly at SMSP. Car has been kept stock apart from wheels and tyres, My lap times have come down steadily, but still a long way to go to match my ability to the car. Best time so far is 1:47 without traffic and 1:48.3 with. So, will work on training the driver and different wheels and tyres. I look forward to swapping storied on this thead and the track. I will be at Bathurst in November for both Sprint and Regularity.

Hey Paul - will be a bunch of us up there at Bathurst so we will see you there.

I'm looking forwards to taking the GT4 back out. I've hardly driven it in anger since Bathurst 2018.

Charliekay 11-08-2020 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Snowman. (Post 17013078)
Hey Paul - will be a bunch of us up there at Bathurst so we will see you there.

I'm looking forwards to taking the GT4 back out. I've hardly driven it in anger since Bathurst 2018.

Great to hear you guys are making the trip up to Bathurst. They opened the border just in time.

Warwick Morris 11-09-2020 03:33 AM

Look forward to catching up Snowman. I hope Mark makes it too if he still has his GT4. We should have a good few cars in the mix.
Waz

Snowman. 11-11-2020 01:54 AM

Yeah Mark will be there too Waz.

Paul Dortkamp 11-11-2020 07:31 AM

I am looking forward to catching up with you all at Bathurst.

Paul Dortkamp 11-11-2020 07:37 AM

Wanted to Buy: GT4 rear

Ops, Duplicate Post

Paul Dortkamp 11-12-2020 07:26 PM

I am thinking of buying another set of 19 inch Koya SF08, so thought I would check here before I place an order. Let me know if you have a set for sale.

On the 19 inch Bathurst tyre front, I have lined up some Michelin Cup2 and some Bridgestone Potenza Motorsport RE-71 RS, but until I can touch them they are just a promise.

Was also contacted by Trevor the Michellin Motorsport guy, who is taking slicks and a tyre fitting unit to Sprint Bathurst and he said that there are around 6 - 10 GT4 Clubsport track cars in Australia now.

Charliekay 11-12-2020 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Dortkamp (Post 17022243)
I am thinking of buying another set of 19 inch Koya SF08, so thought I would check here before I place an order. Let me know if you have a set for sale.

On the 19 inch Bathurst tyre front, I have lined up some Michelin Cup2 and some Bridgestone Potenza Motorsport RE-71 RS, but until I can touch them they are just a promise.

Was also contacted by Trevor the Michellin Motorsport guy, who is taking slicks and a tyre fitting unit to Sprint Bathurst and he said that there are around 6 - 10 GT4 Clubsport track cars in Australia now.

Not many set of wheels out there, I went looking recently when I busted one as well.

I am looking at options to go either 18in which requires changing caliper, or getting another set of 19in. Apex Race Parts have just launched a 19in set of wheels for the GT4 with a decent discount which is tempting but doesn't ship til Feb.

I don't think Michelin make slicks that fit our car in 19in. Will need to go Pirelli DH slicks or Hoosier R7s. I know a couple of the GT4 guys have run R7s at Bathurst.

There are a few GT4 Clubsports around now (718) and a few more coming.

Snowman. 11-15-2020 05:14 PM

Yeah we run the R7's at Bathurst - they are DOT rated so allowed to run on road reg cars there.. Full slicks like Pirelli DH's are not however. I still find the best full road tyre to be the Trofeo R's, although I haven't tried the latest gen Michelins yet.

There was 4 of the Clubsports at Winton on Friday. Nice bits of kit. Would love a steer of one to see exactly where they make the extra laps times up.