Sponsored by: APR

High Downforce Setting

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 01:35 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,881 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
Downforce certainly increases with speed, but I don't believe a higher-downforce setup would produce LESS downforce at a given speed than a lower-downforce setup.
But I'm not sure that is true. My understanding is that certain aero setups that produce big down force at higher speeds require a minimum speed to provide much of any down force, so they actually produce less down force at the slower speeds than a less aggressive set up might produce. But again, I'm going by snippets of things I've read in various articles.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:50 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
But I'm not sure that is true. My understanding is that certain aero setups that produce big down force at higher speeds require a minimum speed to provide much of any down force, so they actually produce less down force at the slower speeds than a less aggressive set up might produce. But again, I'm going by snippets of things I've read in various articles.
Interesting. I'm certainly no expert in the subject, and active aero would of course be an entirely different situation, but I'd be surprised if you could have two static aero setups A and B where A produced more downforce than B at a given high speed but produced less downforce than B at some lower speed. Or maybe it goes back to downforce and drag being related but not directly correlated as in the case of the RS? Maybe if your downforce comes more from drag than another setup, the advantage could shift between the two setups at different speeds?

But there have got to be some aero experts around here....
Old 08-20-2015, 02:48 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,163 Likes on 2,909 Posts

Downforce is proportional to the square of the speed of the car. A higher downforce setup will give more downforce at every speed (but much more at very high speed). i.e. Twice the speed gives 4 times the downforce. Triple the speed gives 9 times the downforce, etc. Here is the formula:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downforce
Old 08-20-2015, 02:54 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Downforce is proportional to the square of the speed of the car. A higher downforce setup will give more downforce at every speed (but much more at very high speed). i.e. Twice the speed gives 4 times the downforce. Triple the speed gives 9 times the downforce, etc. Here is the formula:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downforce
Very cool. Great that there are people around here that know this stuff!
Old 08-20-2015, 03:00 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,163 Likes on 2,909 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishAndy
Very cool. Great that there are people around here that know this stuff!
Don't really know it - just know how to find it . I should mention that everything I said above is technically correct, but notice that the Increased downforce setup will provide the same percentage improvement at any speed.

So, if the high downforce setup gives 50% more downforce than the stock setup at 80mph, it still gives 50% more downforce at 180mph - it's just that it's giving 50% more of a much higher downforce value (both the net improvement and overall downforce are over 5 times as much at 180 mph as 80 mph).

Last edited by GrantG; 08-20-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:02 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Don't really know it - just know how to find it . I should mention that everything I said above is technically correct, but notice that the Increased downforce setup will provide the same percentage improvement at any speed.

So, if the high downforce setup gives 50% more downforce than the stock setup at 80mph, it still gives 50% more downforce at 180mph - it's just that it's giving 50% more of a much higher downforce value (both the net improvement and overall downforce are over 5 times as much at 180 mph as 80 mph).
Again, more great information! Makes me want to get back to my car next week and tweak the setup to see if there are any adverse effects. Thanks!

Quick Reply: High Downforce Setting